The Student Room Group

Ask AAT - any questions on a career in accountancy and finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
that sounds pretty awesome :smile: would kalpan be a good place to get an apprenticeship and how is the thing your doing working out?
Original post by Runninground
You can do them either way. If you go to Uni, then once you've got a degree you'll need to apply for training schemes, on which you will work whilst studying for the qualification (ACA or CIMA). They will pay the fees and you'll be paid too.

If you don't go to Uni, you can go to college to do AAT, then study ACA or CIMA. You can do this all through an employer as I am doing. They pay for everything.

Timewise it is about the same, give or take a year however with the non-uni route you're getting an extra 2/3 years of work experience.
Original post by Lemon98
that sounds pretty awesome :smile: would kalpan be a good place to get an apprenticeship and how is the thing your doing working out?

The best thing to do would be to research your local accounting firms and contact them, asking if they either have any vacancies or can offer work experience (this will count towards you if they happen to get a vacancy).

Mine is going well. The pay is a bit low at the moment but when my next pay review is due i'll have (hopefully) passed three AAT exams, so it should go to a reasonable amount. Other than that it's great.
Reply 42
Thanks this has really helped a lot and i will do that :smile:
Original post by Runninground
The best thing to do would be to research your local accounting firms and contact them, asking if they either have any vacancies or can offer work experience (this will count towards you if they happen to get a vacancy).

Mine is going well. The pay is a bit low at the moment but when my next pay review is due i'll have (hopefully) passed three AAT exams, so it should go to a reasonable amount. Other than that it's great.
Original post by lt35
Hi Dan, I'm sorry but I have an obscure administrative question for you!

Over the past year I've passed the first two modules of Level 2 AAT. However I recently let my AAT membership lapse despite being keen to continue with my studies. I want to enroll with Home Learning College who offer free AAT membership as part of the package. Is there some mechanism by which I can transfer my credits over to the new AAT membership number that I will receive? Can I come into head office with ID to prove I'm the same person for example?

Many Thanks

lt35

Hello lt35

Fantastic news to get started again. You will not need to come into our Head Office. You will however need to contact our Membership Support Team on 0207 397 3001. They will be able to provide you with your previous membership number which you will then need to supply to Home Learning College to update your records accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Thanks.
Original post by catloverxx
Hi Dan,
I'm in year 11 and will be choosing my A-Level subjects very shortly. Can you suggest some subjects which could help me get in an Accounting degree at university?
Many thanks

Accounting, Economics, Business Studies, Maths, ICT. But these are not necasserily needed to get into univeristy to study Accounting and don't choose something you don't enjoy.

I'm not an expert on this but I just thought I would give you some advice, I am currently in year 13 studying Economics, Maths and Applied ICT and I dropped physics at AS
Reply 45
Original post by DanWinterburn
Hello lt35

Fantastic news to get started again. You will not need to come into our Head Office. You will however need to contact our Membership Support Team on 0207 397 3001. They will be able to provide you with your previous membership number which you will then need to supply to Home Learning College to update your records accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Thanks.

Thank you! (all sorted)
I am currently studying aat level 3 and hopefully move on and complete level 4. Can I still get a job with a level 4 qualification and what are the salaries. also what type of positions can I apply for. thanks
Original post by haroon987654321
I am currently studying aat level 3 and hopefully move on and complete level 4. Can I still get a job with a level 4 qualification and what are the salaries. also what type of positions can I apply for. thanks

Hi, you can definitely get a job with a level 4 qualification in fact the variety of jobs in which are open for you to apply for does increase as you work your way through the Accounting Qualification.

Have you ordered an AAT Accounting qualification info pack on our main website before? if so jobs you can look at applying for are listed on each level info there.

What sort of job were you looking to get into?

Natasha :smile:
Original post by AAT Advisor
Hi, My name is Luke I’m a representative of AAT and am here to answer any questions you have regarding the qualification and embarking on an exciting career in accountancy and finance.

I am looking to engage with people by joining discussion threads and offering advice and information where possible.

Please feel free to respond to this post, or contact me directly and I will try and give you a hand. I can also introduce you to one of our regional advisors who can give you tailored advice for the area in which you live, and get an information pack sent out to you.

Luke.

Hi Luke, I'm considering doing accountancy/finance after uni but I'm unsure exactly what I want to do. What are the differences between accountants, financial advisors etc?
Also, is work experience important? I'm currently in Year 13 but there are no opportunities near me and smaller accountancy firms don't usually offer work experience. As long as I show the 'attitude' required and meet the grades etc, does it matter if I don't have previous work experience in the sector?
Hi Luke,

So I'm currently working as an accounts administrator apprentice and studying AAT level 2 in accountancy. I have fairly decent GCSE and A level grades with my GCSE maths at an A grade and AAB at a level (A for ICT). I'm thinking about taking the AAT-ACA fast track route to become a chartered accountant quickly, do you have any recommendations for a quick route or more suitable route to take?
Reply 50
Original post by psychopathbabble
Hi Dan

I've just graduated with a BSc Hons Open degree with the OU. I'm not sure what to do next. I am thinking about doing AAT Level 2 to get an idea of accountancy and basic book-keeping with a view to progressing on to Levels 3 and 4. I am also looking at Masters courses, but I assume when I get further into the accounting courses there would be an equivalent?

I am currently employed full-time within the airline industry. If I started going down the accountancy route in my spare time, at what stage do you think I could start looking for and applying for jobs within accounting?

There are so many routes and companies offering accounting courses, it's very difficult to decide which is the best path to take.

Also, someone has recommended Kaplan to me... do you have any further recommendations for course providers in the East of England and Essex area?

Many thanks :smile:

PS When I was looking through the Kaplan site, it didn't make any mention of becoming a member of AAT. Would I automatically be enrolled or is this an additional cost?

My boyfriend did something similar to you - AAT is really good for starting you off with the basics when you've only studied non-accounting related subjects before.

He did it with a different college, who do an online course. They're actually doing a competition for a free AAT unit atm: www.babington.co.uk/christmas-elf-competition - might be worth doing it.
Reply 51
Hi, My name is Luke I’m a representative of AAT and am here to answer any questions you have regarding the qualification and embarking on an exciting career in accountancy and finance.

I am looking to engage with people by joining discussion threads and offering advice and information where possible.

Please feel free to respond to this post, or contact me directly and I will try and give you a hand. I can also introduce you to one of our regional advisors who can give you tailored advice for the area in which you live, and get an information pack sent out to you.

Luke.

I got mainly C's in High School, Got a B in Math and D* in business, though no A levels, am I still able to chase the Accountancy career? Realistically, thanks!

Luke.

If you complete an A level in accounting and go on to do a degree in Accounting and Finance. What do I need to do to become fully qualified and is worth doing a degree or is it better to do the full course with you?
Reply 53

Luke.

I got mainly C's in High School, Got a B in Math and D* in business, though no A levels, am I still able to chase the Accountancy career? Realistically, thanks!
Reply 54
When you say an A level in Accounting, you do mean the AAT course? Can't I just skip that and do a degree at Uni? Better yet can I not get an apprenticeship with an Accounting firm?
Reply 55
So I must get a degree to become a chartered accountant?
Original post by rainman1
When you say an A level in Accounting, you do mean the AAT course? Can't I just skip that and do a degree at Uni? Better yet can I not get an apprenticeship with an Accounting firm?

No an actual A level fully certified by AQQ
Hi I'm 18 and aat qualified and I've passed 7 gcses. I wanted to know what I would earn if I we're to get a job at this age (18 years old). For example would I get the national minimum wage or would I be paid according yo my qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Hey everyone, I just got offered a position for EY in Belfast as part of the audit 'extended travel' option which will involve working in the mainland 4 days a week. However I'm just wondering what the main differences of working for a delivery centre are compared to working at a normal office?

Should I accept the offer? I have heard that audit work for those in delivery centres is very low-level and won't help you learn much; should I just put the Big 4 offer on the CV and apply elsewhere? (BDO/GT etc)

Any insight would be great on these delivery centres, cheers.
Hi, would you be doing a professional qualification with them?

Quick Reply