The Student Room Group

How do you deal with drowsiness from medications? Quetiapine etc

My psychiatrist has prescribed me 100mg quetiapine, 200mg fluvoxamine in the evening, and 5mg aripiprazole (ABILIFY) in the morning to deal with intrusive thoughts going back to when I got bullied.

The drowsiness is really bad but my next appointment with the psychiatrist isn't for over a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
3rd thread on this at least :tongue:

Have you tried coffee? I used to drink loads to combat drug-induced drowsiness.
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
3rd thread on this at least :tongue:

Have you tried coffee? I used to drink loads to combat drug-induced drowsiness.

Sorry I have got a lot more forgetful too.

No I haven't tried coffee , just energy drinks which do help but give me awful headaches after which is why I'm afraid to try coffee :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mrsmith2013

No I haven't tried coffee , just energy drinks which do help but give me awful headaches after which is why I'm afraid to try coffee :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Energy drinks give me headaches too because of the high amount of sugar, black coffee with no milk or sugar doesn't give me headaches. No need to be afraid, maybe give it a try? :smile:
I try to do something to keep myself occupied; take away the urge to sleep. Walking is good for that; I play games to combat it too.
Reply 5
Original post by lonelybrummie
I try to do something to keep myself occupied; take away the urge to sleep. Walking is good for that; I play games to combat it too.

Same for me when I'm cycling or walking I'm generally fine as long as I'm out of the house

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Timikji
Energy drinks give me headaches too because of the high amount of sugar, black coffee with no milk or sugar doesn't give me headaches. No need to be afraid, maybe give it a try? :smile:

I don't usually drink coffee black because I don't like the taste but that's a good idea because it won't have any sugar in for headaches

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd give it a try and then at least you can rule it out if it doesn't work. Energy drinks really aren't good for you so no wonder they give you such bad headaches :tongue:

I also found getting out of bed at a reasonable time actually helped me feel less sedated. If I stayed in bed until 2pm I'd be tired the rest of the day but when I was getting up at 10am I had enough energy even to go to the gym. Might be worth trying too?
Lots of coffee and water, you could try pro plus as well.
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth
I'd give it a try and then at least you can rule it out if it doesn't work. Energy drinks really aren't good for you so no wonder they give you such bad headaches :tongue:

I also found getting out of bed at a reasonable time actually helped me feel less sedated. If I stayed in bed until 2pm I'd be tired the rest of the day but when I was getting up at 10am I had enough energy even to go to the gym. Might be worth trying too?

Thanks yeah I'm exactly the same as you were I sleep in until afternoon because I have nothing to wake up for though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same for me when I'm cycling or walking I'm generally fine as long as I'm out of the house

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try not to fight the medication by using another drug, e.g. caffeine. Have you ever heard of power naps> Try to sleep for about half an hour and your drowsiness should go away.
Thanks yeah I'm exactly the same as you were I sleep in until afternoon because I have nothing to wake up for though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know that feeling. You need to set yourself a list of things to do each day and then reward yourself if you get them all done. That way at least you'll have something to get up for.

Quick Reply

Latest