The Student Room Group

"Second" class Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by georgexD
Actuallly i don't have any specific problem with HW,but i'm reading a lot of ~annoying~ comments about the quality of study..Well stirling is another choice,but as u said the city is too small and maybe not so suitable for an 18 yo student(I suppose)because this plays a significant role too i think! :tongue:

i didnt think you were:smile: also remember people can be snobs especially on TSR:wink: and like to look down on newer unis, non RG unis, outside the top ten unis etc.

i was considering stirling (until i got offered HW) its a nice city/campus. it depends on your interests if youre sporty/outdoor its great and there are clubs on campus and in city but not as many as edinburgh/glasgow.
Reply 21
Original post by hollysarah
He's studying Engineering Physics and going straight to second year. I love HW's website and how quickly they respond to emails & calls, very friendly! What are you studying?

Economics first year. cant wait. :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by WeeGuy
i didnt think you were:smile: also remember people can be snobs especially on TSR:wink: and like to look down on newer unis, non RG unis, outside the top ten unis etc.

i was considering stirling (until i got offered HW) its a nice city/campus. it depends on your interests if youre sporty/outdoor its great and there are clubs on campus and in city but not as many as edinburgh/glasgow.

Yep my first choice is edinburgh! I want a nice quiet place but at the same time,a crazy nightlife..LOL :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by WeeGuy
Economics first year. cant wait. :biggrin:

Nice!my friend who will come with me in scotland wants economics too..I heard that economy course at HW is one of the top in uk
Reply 24
Only in the international lounge... :facepalm:

It does seem that there are 'second class universities' - once upon a time they were designated as "Polytechnics" or Technological Colleges or whatever. Didn't mean they weren't allowing students to come out with valuable degrees, they just weren't, and many still aren't, venerable.

A bachelors is a bachelors is a bachelors, and nothing can change that. They're all externally moderated. But yes, undeniably it would be more impressive to get a first from Oxford than a first at UEA.
Reply 25
Nice!my friend who will come with me in scotland wants economics too..I heard that economy course at HW is one of the top in uk

thats my understanding too.:biggrin: HW is very good in Business and Engineering.
Reply 26
Guys any idea or opinion about strathclyde university?

Which subject?
Reply 28

which subject do you wish to do.
Reply 29
Original post by GermanScientist
Which subject?

Original post by WeeGuy
which subject do you wish to do.

well they don't general biology..only biomedical science,immunilogy and microbiology etc.
Reply 30
well they don't general biology..only biomedical science,immunilogy and microbiology etc.

Strathclyde is known for business/mathematics. though doing any degree there is good. Strathclyde is a good uni.
Reply 31
nice :smile:
Reply 32
Hi guys :smile: I'm from Greece and I will be entering last year of senior high school this year. I want to study abroad and specifically in Scotland. I've done my research about the universities in Scotland and I've realised that most of the people are vilifying unis like Stirling,Heriot watt,Edinburgh Napier. Why are the doing that? Is there any reason? Personally I want to study Biology.I want to hear your opinions on that unis or other suggestions. All opinions are welcome :smile:

As you mentioned Biology as your choice of study I recommend you also have a look at Dundee, one of the best universities in Europe (and even the world) for the Life Sciences. Supposedly 1st in Europe for research in biology and biochemistry, and 4th for molecular biology and genetics (Thomson Scientific). Plus came out 1st in the UK in the Times' annual student experience survey in 2012.

We also have Sir Philip Cohen, the world's second most cited biologist :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by Sir Fox
As you mentioned Biology as your choice of study I recommend you also have a look at Dundee, one of the best universities in Europe (and even the world) for the Life Sciences. Supposedly 1st in Europe for research in biology and biochemistry, and 4th for molecular biology and genetics (Thomson Scientific). Plus came out 1st in the UK in the Times' annual student experience survey in 2012.

We also have Sir Philip Cohen, the world's second most cited biologist :wink:

Yes i have also send a email about entry requirments for a greek student because i think is a great university :wink:
Reply 34
Original post by WeeGuy
also the idea that lower unis are all ex polys is false. Warwick was created in 1960s

Indeed, that's neither an ex-poly nor a particularly old uni - and it's usually somewhere in or near the top ten of most ranking tables. Longer-established unis aren't necessarily the best ones.

It can also come down to the individual department. Bournemouth never tickles the upper half of any uni rankings, but it houses the National Centre for Computer Animation and is *the* university to attend if you want to walk out of a degree and into a good job in that field.
Reply 35
Yes i have also send a email about entry requirments for a greek student because i think is a great university :wink:

Should've had a quick look at the website, there is a section for most countries with all information on the grades:

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/admissions/international/your_home_country/greece.htm
Reply 36
Hi!

I am a student from Greece, I finished highschool this year, and I'm starting my course in September. Since I went recently through all the university stuff, I have a little experience on the topic. Edinburgh and Glasgow don't accept the greek apolytirion on its own merit.Unless you also take the panhellenic exams. But they usually ask for additional A levels. Are you taking any A levels? Or doing the IB programme?

Stirling was one of my 5 university choices. I applied there but I withdrawn my application before I get an answer from them, because I decided I wanted to be in England. Dundee, Heriot Watt and Aberdeen are also very good ones.
Reply 37
OP Listern to Sir fox.

Dundee is a solid uni and has a good biology science courses department.(you can study medicine there)
Reply 38
(edited 10 years ago)

If you're wanting to stay in Glasgow:

University of Glasgow is well-known for their infection biology courses- Immunology, Microbiology, Parasitology and Virology. Glasgow has three world-class research centres specifically for these areas. If you're wanting to do biomedical science with an aim to working in the NHS it'd be easier for you to do an accredited course (I'm not sure if Strathclyde's is) but Caledonian is I believe.

In general Strathclyde is known for it's business department, engineering, maths, chemistry and physics (along with pharmacy). Glasgow is stronger in the biological sciences, earth sciences, psychology and the arts/humanities inc. Law.

Quick Reply

Latest