The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No but I am thinking about it. I guess I just wanted reassurance that I'm not overreacting!

Yes he lied to you about what medication you received.
Yes he deceived you.
Yes you were right to report the incident to the correct authorities.

No you were not over-reacting. I would have at least confronted the doctor when you found out, or do what you did which was to report the incident.

Do complain

Do not use discrimination as the basis for your complaint

Complain about being given misleading information re your condition and breach of confidentiality

If the defence offered is that you are bi-polar - then query their treatment of bi-polar patients and raise the issue of discrimination
Original post by TenOfThem
Do complain

Do not use discrimination as the basis for your complaint

Complain about being given misleading information re your condition and breach of confidentiality

If the defence offered is that you are bi-polar - then query their treatment of bi-polar patients and raise the issue of discrimination

OP doesn't exactly seem harmed by the breach of confidentiality though. If a doctor said something to my parents, I wouldn't immediately think "I know! I must complain!! because technically he's in the wrong even though I suffered no harm." I'd just continue with my life.

The whole thing seems a very petty thing to complain about, to be honest.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
OP doesn't exactly seem harmed by the breach of confidentiality though. If a doctor said something to my parents, I wouldn't immediately think "I know! I must complain!! because technically he's in the wrong even though I suffered no harm." I'd just continue with my life.

The whole thing seems a very petty thing to complain about, to be honest.

I agree that there seems to be no harm done and my initial response was to say leave it - but, given the OPs condition she does need to trust the medical services and she may need to do this just to get some closure and be in a better position next time she has to request treatment
Being told it was a panic attack, nothing was going to happen to me monitering me for 5 minutes would have been fine

As someone who's mum had bouts of panic attacks, being told their having a panic attack and reassuring them everything is ok never really works. For her it made things worse!

Its possible the doctor knew well you were having a panic attack, and just wanted to stay calm and end it as soon as possible.

Perhaps he spoke to your mother because she was the one who was caring or you at the hospital at the time, and thought even though you were an adult, you may of not been in a optimal state of mind?

Also, doctors use Placebo's alot, more than anyone thinks, and the Placebo effect is known to be effective in many cases!
Did you say anything to the Doctor when you were there?
There is a lot of speculation and people getting very agitated on this thread - the reality is is that the only people who know what went on were those who were there, and that no one can make a fair judgement from hearing one side of the story.

At the end of the day, there is a patient who feels she was done wrong, and if someone would like an explanation for what happened that should certainly be accommodated for. I do not think that a complaint is the immediate way to address this, but going down the correct channels rather than endlessly arguing on a forum is. A discussion with PALS and the opportunity with the doctor in question to actually have a discussion with the patient and explain what happened seems entirely reasonable, therefore not leaving room for accusations to be made. It could be a simple matter of misunderstanding that may be resolved with an apology and nothing more; if it does turn out to be more serious, then this can be dealt with appropriately to.

Better to do that than for armchair experts to judge people on both sides of the story, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by Sloaney Pony
I said that first! :eek:

Stop following me all over TSR. :unimpressed:

Maybe you could mention what you think he should have done instead in your complaint? :smile: I've complained about a few things before (not on the NHS, but general customer service stuff) and I notice it tends to have more of an impact if you spell out exactly what you would have preferred they do/act like. At least it might prevent him from doing the same to the next patient in your situation.

Praise by a mod? :eek: Well that's my day made, thank you :biggrin:

I'm not even following you :unimpressed: Stop making up things that don't exist :teehee: I was going to add what "she" said but was too lazy to type 2 words :u:
Original post by Mushi_master

Better to do that than for armchair experts to judge people on both sides of the story, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed.
Although I have also given placebo in situations not too dissimilar to this, I have never actually lied to the patient.
You do NOT give someone lorazepam because they are having a panic attack. Hell no.
Panic disorder =/= panic attack.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
He said, you don't give lorazepam to someone having a panic attack. I would concur with that (well more than concur as Jamie is more senior to myself). I've treated a few people with panic attacks and have never given benzos.

Sorry if I missed this OP, but how would the doctor know you were bipolar? Citalopram isn't the most obvious treatment for that condition. I can see why you are annoyed that he spoke to your mum without your consent, but I can't see how he discriminated against you based in your description.

I hope you're feeling better.
Reply 72
Maybe some doctors do, but I never have and they do not give benzos in the A&E where I work(ed). Talking to the patient, encouraging them to control their breathing and giving them some time and reassurance I have never cannulated someone having a panic attack.
As in does not equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not in any reputable A&E they don't.

IV Lorazepam is a treatment to terminate seizures, not someone having a bit of a panic.

Also good for the acute symptoms of a panic attack are GBL, GHB and MDMA. I wouldn't recommend those either.
Original post by Jamie
Not in any reputable A&E they don't.

IV Lorazepam is a treatment to terminate seizures, not someone having a bit of a panic.

Also good for the acute symptoms of a panic attack are GBL, GHB and MDMA. I wouldn't recommend those either.

I have diazepam for panic attacks at home :dontknow: I just didn't have any with me that day. But I find them very helpful..

Are they not supposed to work?
I've put a complaint in to the GMC.

So what happened was I was on a train with my mum, and all of a sudden, I couldn't breathe. My hands went tingly and I felt like I was going to die. I just couldn't breathe at all It was horrible I assumed I was having an asthma attack, my inhaler didn't work and so I went to A&E. Usually, they give me a neb. Anyway, got there, saw a doctor. They did my sats, and mine were LOW. 90%. If anyone goes under 96, they're supposed to be given oxygen. Anyway, the doctor listened to my chest, and then asked me what other medication I was taking. I said citalopram. They started exchanging weird looks.

Then he comes back and says he'll give me a salbutamol neb. I'm there for about an hour with this neb, but it doesn't feel right. It keeps making my nose run and my hands aren't shaking, which they normally do. I keep telling people I feel very ill but no one listens.

Then when the neb is finished, I feel better and so he says I can go. But before I leave, he calls my mum. WITHOUT me.

She then tells me that he said "I didn't give her a salbutamol neb. It's just saline. I couldn't hear anything on her chest I don't believe her. What exactly is going on?" My mum was really shocked, and he then said "I don't know what you're going to tell her" She said "I'm going to tell her what you've said" and he said "Well you could tell her I was asking about meds" What the ****, you've just breached confidentiality, consent and from what I can see, disability disrimination.

What other reason would he have for talking to my mum and not me and treating me like some sort of numpty? I'm 19, so not underage, he had no reason to do that. Both me and my mum assume it as because I have bipolar, and he just assumed I was some sort of melodramatic idiot.

So my problem with this is

1) WHY not just tell me you can't hear anything? I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack and not an asthma attack, but HE'S the doctor and should have found out

2) WHY lie about giving me a neb? Why not just say "It doesn't sound like an asthma attack, I'll try you with some saline"

3) WHY talk to my mum and not me

I'm so pissed off about this. Also I'm annoyed with the way a panic attack was treated. They're horrible and not something to be humiliated.

how old are you?

dont get me wrong this is bad practice and shouldn't happen but they did it to me loads in my teenage years, as a child I was misdiagnosed with ADHD (back when it was a new concept) turned out I actually had DCD (a form of dyspraxia) after years of the wrong medication they finally realized they where wrong but even after they admitted their mistake I was still treat like I was stupid and once they even sent me to a suicide watch ward and treat me like **** then had to apologize because it turned out I had a strep infection (how the **** do you misdiagnose that a suicide attempt :confused:) my midwife nearly killed me too by not calling the crash team when I hemorrhaged and I had a nurse that faked test results for a test she forgot to run

many doctors treat you like crap if they see on your notes there is something wrong with you (especially a mental, depressive, depramental or learning difficulty)
I have diazepam for panic attacks at home :dontknow: I just didn't have any with me that day. But I find them very helpful..

Are they not supposed to work?

diazepam will take too long to stop a sudden panic attack, and if you are having that many of them you need to up your antidepressants, not be on benzos.
Reply 78
Sorry to bump, but if you have Bipolar (any type) you should not be taking Citalopram, its an anti-depressant not an antipsychotic and only makes the condition worse. You need to double check with your doctor your diagnosis because no doctor with any kind of sense would prescribe Citalopram to a Bipolar.
OK, I have no idea if anyone else has done the legal aspect, frankly I can't be bothered and haven't the time to be reading the whole thread.

He, as a service provider, has a duty not to discriminate against you due to your disability (bi-polar). However, he has provided a service, what you have to do is prove that the way he did this is unacceptable and discriminatory.

Could you potentiall do this? Yes, I don't know the medical side but you're going to need an expert report, potentially two if the first one is unfavourable, to pay an expert for court and, finally, a shedload of lawyers' fees. The likely payout is pretty low, almost certainly not enough to cover the costs of the above, or indeed close to. A court case would be a very expensive way to prove a point.

An alternative is to write to the Equality and Human Rights Commission and get them involved.

Latest

Trending

Trending