The Student Room Group

Exceeded grades by a LOT? What do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Davelittle
Oxbridge don't like gap years unless you do something like year in industry/work exp etc.

Sources are info from an open day and also an article I read where the admissions tutor said "if he's had his feet up on a beach for a year he's getting rejected" (4 A*'s applying for medicine).

Source ?

Or is this another so called insider info thing ?
Reply 41
he's going to Nottingham, another one bites the dust . hah
Wow. This is the sort of story we need to hear about more often.
Reply 43
OP

If Oxford takes convicted drug dealers then what's the big deal over an expulsion? and you don't even have to tell them about it.

Source .......... do I hear the trollers say ? Oh yes I have it, waiting for you and I will counter.

.......................................................* waits as trollers won't ask cause their advantage is gone showing exactly what trollers they are - here for own selfish jealousy rather than any objective advice.
Reply 44
Original post by Zenomorph
if that's the case then he would be just as well off at ANY university.

Me thinks that is bogus and maybe you have an agenda.

he can just keep his expulsion mum and all will be well.

Are you jealous of his grades and trying to pull him down to your level ?

It depends on the course.

the prestige thing is most certainly overblown.
Reply 45
Original post by Rovey
It depends on the course.

the prestige thing is most certainly overblown.

Prestige Oxbridge vs Nottinham ?

Mountain vs molehill. enough said
If you really like Nottingham don't be put off by their lower grade requirements. It doesn't mean the uni or course is worse in any way.

Was your offer typical? or was it lower than what they listed in their prospectus? If it was the latter they probably just really liked you and wanted to make sure you got in. If it was typical that may simply indicate that they course isn't as competitive as say Oxbridge (but remember nearly everyone with a shot applies to Oxbridge), that also doesn't mean it's bad!

Btw I currently have a friend at St Andrews who got 4 A*'s and an A at A-level who got rejected from Cambridge.

If you picked Nottingham because you really liked it I would go there. You'll be happiest :biggrin:
It's an OK uni. A great place is not ranked outside the top 20. Stop hyping your own uni which you don't even like and stop talking like a troller:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

Dude I don't even go to Nottingham.
Reply 48
Original post by laurenbowes

yeah right that's why you are acting like their major cheerleader , dude.
Original post by laurenbowes

Ignore him, he has a major grudge against the university and is evident on other threads.
Original post by mandem2k11
Had an AAB offer from Nottingham for Politics

ive got 2A*A so i dunno what to do, thats like oxford/lse level of grades

any advice?

Hello, and congratulations on your excellent results.

You could consider going through adjustment as suggested. You could also consider applying to an independent institution outside of UCAS, alongside your offer from Nottingham. In the short-term, this could broaden your range of options as you decide how to proceed.

Think about how you'd like to study Politics. You mention Oxbridge which is based on tutorial teaching. Another institution that teaches using this style is the independent New College of the Humanities in central London. We also offer a BSc Politics & International Relations (awarded by the University of London). We still have places available for September entry, and also merit-based scholarships for high achieving students.

Application is online via the website. Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to find out more: 020 7637 4550

Best wishes,

Jane
Source ?

Or is this another so called insider info thing ?

Go search the article yourself, and it's well known if you go to any Oxbridge open day which is why everyone who has been seems to know. :smile:
This is a totally personal decision. I'd say you have a decent shot for the likes of LSE/Oxbridge with those but I don't know your overall profile so it's hard to say how likely it is when the competition is so tough. If you really want to go to LSE/Oxbridge then I'd say go for it, but if you love the course at Nottingham I'd say go there. Why waste potentially a year of your life when there's no guarantee you'll get a better place? It could backfire.

Best of luck with the decisions, and congrats.
Reply 53
Go search the article yourself, and it's well known if you go to any Oxbridge open day which is why everyone who has been seems to know. :smile:

Ah IOW no source, so BS like I say
Reply 54
Original post by Endless Blue
This is a totally personal decision. I'd say you have a decent shot for the likes of LSE/Oxbridge with those but I don't know your overall profile so it's hard to say how likely it is when the competition is so tough. If you really want to go to LSE/Oxbridge then I'd say go for it, but if you love the course at Nottingham I'd say go there. Why waste potentially a year of your life when there's no guarantee you'll get a better place? It could backfire.

Best of luck with the decisions, and congrats.

Because you could end up wasting 20 years of your life and £40000 if you don't
Ah IOW no source, so BS like I say

And you're an expert haha?

We're trying to aide the OP stop giving him false information, if you look carefully all the posts on the subject of gap year say the same thing and try have all likely come from article/first hand talks with admissions tutors at Oxbridge.

OP should email them tbh, he won't get in via adjustment that's for sure
Reply 56
And you're an expert haha?

We're trying to aide the OP stop giving him false information, if you look carefully all the posts on the subject of gap year say the same thing and try have all likely come from article/first hand talks with admissions tutors at Oxbridge.

OP should email them tbh, he won't get in via adjustment that's for sure

Oh yeah right so says someone who has no source other than ' inside ' BS.

I doubt you are trying to help me, more like give him false info to ease your little jealous ego.
Reply 57
Because you could end up wasting 20 years of your life and £40000 if you don't

To be fair, Nottingham wouldn't be a waste of time/money.
Reply 58
in other words BS.

It seems few college are not willing to explicitly state their policy, but Merton does

http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ug_app_admpolicy.shtml

Of course it says applications are welcome, but "Candidates should be aware that in many subjects, applicants who are offered places for deferred entry will generally be among the strongest of the cohort for their subject."

Which means for 2 candidates of the same ability and potential, the one NOT taking the gap year will get the place.

"Candidates should be aware that applicants for deferred entry are unlikely to be given interviews by colleges other than Merton."

It is mostly bad for science subjects though, especially physics (Merton do not take gap year applications for physics) and maths for the same reason that Merton states.

In the OPs case, he has a good reason for taking a gap year, but he will still have to do something productive to keep up with the other candidates.

Cambridge's policy is more relaxed http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/info/faq.html but they will definitely ask about it in the interview
Oh yeah right so says someone who has no source other than ' inside ' BS.

I doubt you are trying to help me, more like give him false info to ease your little jealous ego.

I'm currently in year 12 you idiot.....

As I said there is an article online if you wish to search it but at least my info actually has some backing, yours..... Doesn't!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending