The Student Room Group

Son has royally bombed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by University for the Creative Arts
Hello,

Though grades are important here at The University for the Creative Arts there not all we consider. If the student has a strong interest in the subject they would like to take and can convey their enthusiasm over the phone they still have a chance of getting a place. I don't know if your son wants to go into an art-based subject but if he doesn't I'm sure a lot of the Universities do the same. Give them a call!

I hope your son gets a place that both of you are happy with.

Good luck,

Rebecca

If you're going to reply on behalf of a university you should probably learn to distinguish between "there" and "they're".
Original post by Nervous Mum
Is there any point calling Uni's requiring more than his grades. Will they take into account his GCSE's and realise that he is not completely stupid. He has got BDE, Maths, FM and Biology. AT GCSE he got 5 A's of which were 2 A* in Maths and Addditional Science, the other A's were in English Lit, DT, Science, the rest were B's and C's.

May I ask why he isn't writing for himself and that you're speaking on his behalf? I think that speaks volumes, personally.
Original post by VeniViciVidi
May I ask why he isn't writing for himself and that you're speaking on his behalf? I think that speaks volumes, personally.

Whilst I very much take your point that the student must do the phoning themselves, it doesn't actually say that she is doing the calling, only whether there is any point in calling.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Whilst I very much take your point that the student must do the phoning themselves, it doesn't actually say that she is doing the calling, only whether there is any point in calling.

I'm just pointing out the notion of her speaking for her son on this forum.
I'm just pointing out the notion of her speaking for her son on this forum.

Well, we don't know that he doesn't have an alias on here also, I suppose. Speaking as a mother myself, I perhaps have more sympathy with the feeling of helplessness you have when faced with an adolescent in a state of terror like a startled rabbit frozen in headlights and not knowing what to do. It's a counsel of perfection to say 'leave them to it, they'll never learn otherwise', and as a teacher I have said it many times, but as a parent, it really isn't easy to watch them crash and burn when you can prevent it. It kind of goes with the territory. Some kids grow up sooner than others.
Original post by TheSownRose
Not really... You are looking at universities wanting 220 UCAS point, but also watch out that they don't require specific grades that he doesn't have. They may consider the GCSEs, it might allow you to push a little higher, but I would honestly do those asking for his grades or below as priority; if he got an offer he was happy with, then consider trying a couple of ambitious ones just to see before making the final choice.

Its worth it, especially if he did good in coursework.
If he's Interested in accountancy it may be worth looking at other options. My best friend took both the AAT and ACCA qualifications through a firm with whom she worked as a student accountant. She was paid a wage and has no debts to worry about. If she wanted a degree also she would just have to write a dissertation and pay a small fee of £500. University isn't the only option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
As a mum myself, may I say how impressed I am by the incredible amount of helpful advice and thoughtful, kind replies to nervous mum's requests for help.

Nervous mum, as a kind comment from one mum to another, I really think the phrase 'thank you' should be a bit more in evidence somewhere in your postings. These helpful people deserve it, even if you are 'all sorted' now, and have moved on to focus on 'good' accommodation, and stationery for him to bring. Surely your son can work out his own stationery needs?! And did you really use the word 'pratt'? My goodness, what a name us mums will get, and what different parenting styles we must have. Children need encouragement, and at 17/18yrs old need to sort some stuff out for themselves. Good luck with your plans.
Don't assume that university is right for him then. It isn't right for most people who end up going anyway. And if your son struggled to get the results while living at home it is unlikely he will do any better whilst living away at uni where flunking is an even bigger waste of time and also a massive waste of your money.

This forum is available for anyone to get advice

nervousmum was asking for advice so that she could offer the best level of support to her son
I wouldn't bother with university. University should be for the academically able - perhaps a trip to the Jobcentre might be the best thing?
Love how the lower tier universities have jumped in here hoping for his business haha
Original post by thecrazycanes
Don't assume that university is right for him then. It isn't right for most people who end up going anyway. And if your son struggled to get the results while living at home it is unlikely he will do any better whilst living away at uni where flunking is an even bigger waste of time and also a massive waste of your money.

Original post by Azarimanka
I wouldn't bother with university. University should be for the academically able - perhaps a trip to the Jobcentre might be the best thing?

Different universities offer different things to different students

Are you not able to understand this
Original post by Bill_Gates
Love how the lower tier universities have jumped in here hoping for his business haha

Actually a number of reps from "lower tier" and others have been very helpful on this forum over the last few days
Original post by TenOfThem
Different universities offer different things to different students

Are you not able to understand this

No I don't understand it - I don't think it's true.
Original post by Nervous Mum
He is doing a four year with placement in Accounting and Finance.

This will help a lot when looking for employment later.
No I don't understand it - I don't think it's true.

Well you are wrong

There has been a massive change to the nature of university places and students over the last decade

Far more jobs "need" a degree
Far more people are going to university
A much greater range of courses are available

So
There are universities and courses designed for the AAA student who wants to study a purely academic degree
There are universities and courses designed for the BBB student who wants to study a subject that interests them and then apply for graduate jobs
There are universities and courses designed for the DDd student who struggles with exams but wants to further develop their research and presentation skills so that employers will look at them

The fact that you do not think this is true shows an ignorance of the true nature of university education

edited because people seemed to need this explaining!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TenOfThem
Well you are wrong

How insightful - you must be really clever.
Original post by Bill_Gates

If I was nervousmum, I would be advising him to take a gap year and do re-sits. It is not worth £50,000 to go to these low-tier universities that are just desperate for anyone. What's the point rushing into massive debt and 3-4 years of your life? Take a year out, save up some money, do some re-sits and get into a university that isn't scouring the web for helpless parents and students with dollar signs in its eyes.
How insightful - you must be really clever.

Well I am, but my insight is more to do with experience that intelligence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending