The Student Room Group

Can UCAS confirm your place by mistake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Minerva
As stated in my post above, an offer on Track is not legally binding, so there is no evidence to cite to the contrary.

Although UCAS expects unis to honour any offers that are made, in practice they don't have any means of forcing them to do so.

Thank you for this. I am interested to know how you are sure of what you say as it is so crucial to my understanding of the situation. For example, what backs up the statement 'UCAS expects....'
Thanks again
Reply 21
Original post by Elle D
Thank you for this. I am interested to know how you are sure of what you say as it is so crucial to my understanding of the situation. For example, what backs up the statement 'UCAS expects....'
Thanks again

There is nothing that backs it up. That's the point - UCAS can "expect" universities to behave in a particular way, but they have no legal mechanism for making universities do anything. If a university doesn't behave as UCAS expects it to, there's nothing that UCAS or anyone else can do about it.

A university can withdraw an individual offer or an entire course at any time.

As an example, in 2012 there was a massive admin error at the University of Ulster which withdrew nearly 400 unconditional offers:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19294916
UCAS and government ministers were involved with the fallout, but the withdrawn offers weren't reinstated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending