The Student Room Group

Im doomed with bad AS grades

So today I got my AS results and I am seriously gutted. My grades are D for Biology :frown:, C for physics ( well I wasn't much surprised for that because I naturally hate physics), B for Chemistry ( this I was really shocked to get because I thought I was bad at chem) and B for maths. I was hoping to going into med or dentistry but with these grades I am hopeless. I am absolutely confused on what degree I should do because I chose to do physics, maths and chem for A2. Can anyone give me advice and should I retake so,e of the exams??
BTW I am writing this for someone else
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
hi, maybe resitting is not the best idea as i did a kickstart year (at Glyndwr Uni) that then got me onto a bsc so i did 4 years in total the kickstart year helped prepare me and im now half way through my degree and doing really well. foundation courses are also great and you get the same funding so i would look into those before making a decision. also i know some of the guys got onto the bsc even though they just fell short of the UCAS total.
Reply 2
Hi,
I got a a in bio, bb in maths and Chem, c in physics in AS will be appearing for my A-levels in 2014 , what are my chances for getting into a medschool, what can i do to salvage this position. I want to get into medicine even if its a resit and gap year.
Hello,
You really shouldn't worry if you don't do too well in your AS results the first time round. Honestly, it happens to nearly everybody. I was a culprit too, in my first year I got CEUU in my AS levels (yes really!) and I've just received my results this summer in A2 Psych, AS Chem, AS Maths, AS Accounting and I got BBBD this year respectively (the D was just through a bad exam). Although my results last year were due to family problems, the point I'm trying to get at is that never become de-motivated and keep working hard and learn from your mistakes too. If you are able to carry on to A2, I would (depending on your grades of course), and possibly resit some AS modules. However, if you feel you can improve a lot, there's nothing wrong with resitting your AS year, as I have just done this year :smile: In my opinion, I feel your grades aren't that bad, I would carry on to my A2 year if I were you, and maybe resit some AS modules you underperformed on. Remember, once you start A2, all the AS stuff becomes really simple. All the best!! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
To add to this...

AS grades: B Maths D Computing E Economics

A2 grades A Maths B Computing B Economics (A WBQ) <---after numerous resits

Now I will be going to Exeter for Economics and Finance
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
so hoy many points did you get and what course is the one you want to do if you dont mind me asking
Reply 6
Original post by NabilC18
To add to this...

AS grades: B Maths D Computing E Economics

A2 grades A Maths B Computing B Economics (A WBQ) <---after numerous resits

Now I will be going to Exeter for Economics and Finance

But OP don't forget, there are no January resits now so it will be even harder to achieve this turn-around.
Reply 7
I got a U in biology last year and decided to retake my AS year while doing my A2 year at the same time. This time I got a B overall, including A's in a few modules. You are definitely not doomed, there are plenty of options out there for you to take. If you set your heart on it you can get the grades you want.
Reply 8
i got these results in my AS:
Chem-C
Eco-C
Phy-C
Maths-B
if i want to continue A2 i need to resit 6 AS units and do 9 A2 units(i'll drop eco)...please give me advice..should i continue?
Reply 9
I got my A2 grades today.
CDD in English language, biology and chemistry

Are there any private schools that are guaranteed in getting you good grades because I'm thinking of resetting?
Resitting*
Reply 11
Original post by jag1996
Hi,
I got a a in bio, bb in maths and Chem, c in physics in AS will be appearing for my A-levels in 2014 , what are my chances for getting into a medschool, what can i do to salvage this position. I want to get into medicine even if its a resit and gap year.

Lol dont hijack this persons thread there's a whole section dedicated to medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Im just putting this out there but which part of computer science are you interested in? I do applied computing at Glyndwr Uni and that deals with using computers in the real world (programming, web design, networks, databases) where-as true computer science is very mathmatics based so it depends on what you want to learn. Just be careful because if you see a 'computer science' course just ensure it really is computer science because uni's will try to make the course sound more impressive by calling it computer science.

If you need any other information about computing just reply to this and ill help you out as best i can
Reply 13
Original post by Selgomez11
So today I got my AS results and I am seriously gutted. My grades are D for Biology :frown:, C for physics ( well I wasn't much surprised for that because I naturally hate physics), B for Chemistry ( this I was really shocked to get because I thought I was bad at chem) and B for maths. I was hoping to going into med or dentistry but with these grades I am hopeless. I am absolutely confused on what degree I should do because I chose to do physics, maths and chem for A2. Can anyone give me advice and should I retake so,e of the exams??

If you want to achieve higher grades then i would advice trying to resit some of the exams preferably in january as you will have less exams than in June. I got a D in my C2 module for maths for my first year and i resit that in january and bumped it upto an A and that was because i have already done the exam and the second time around it felt slightly easier to do.
Original post by Sebister
If you want to achieve higher grades then i would advice trying to resit some of the exams preferably in january as you will have less exams than in June. I got a D in my C2 module for maths for my first year and i resit that in january and bumped it upto an A and that was because i have already done the exam and the second time around it felt slightly easier to do.

The thing is, they've changed the exam system, so all modular exam will be taken all in summer, including retakes(no more january exams). And because of that im forced to resit the AS year, because resitting most of my AS modules while doing my A2 exams would be an overload
Original post by Selgomez11

Retake, there are far worser situations then this, you can bounce back from this and just assess where it went wrong. GL
Reply 16
Original post by timothyto10
The thing is, they've changed the exam system, so all modular exam will be taken all in summer, including retakes(no more january exams). And because of that im forced to resit the AS year, because resitting most of my AS modules while doing my A2 exams would be an overload

i thought the student who are going to A2 next year had the old system because of how it operated for them in the first. It also depends on what grades you want let's say you want to go up by 1 grade or 2 then thats possible but you would have to work harder and A2 is much more difficult than As
Reply 17
Original post by Sebister
i thought the student who are going to A2 next year had the old system because of how it operated for them in the first. It also depends on what grades you want let's say you want to go up by 1 grade or 2 then thats possible but you would have to work harder and A2 is much more difficult than As

Sadly AS students going into A2 will only have summer exams.

Quick Reply

Latest