The Student Room Group

Failed A-levels, Now allowed to continue at school

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by d0mm
No offence taken :smile: I'm not saying i'm a genius, and i know it looks like i'm not too bright at all and i fully understand that. But when i say i did NO homework AT ALL and daydreaming almost all lesson every lesson i am NOT exaggerating at all. for the amount of work i did i am lucky i got anything at all. The reason i am so annoyed is because, without wanting to sound too arrogant, i could have got very good grades, but instead got very poor grades due to a total lack of effort.

If it means anything i did a quick IQ in a lesson once to settle a bet with my friend, i got around 140, which is above average, and i think it shows i should be getting decent grades.

Your problem is you're all talk and no action. "I could have done well" That means absolutely nothing because you didn't do well. Ditch that attitude and start actually doing well. Right now it looks like you aren't as smart as you think you are.
Reply 61
Original post by Azarimanka
Valid point I think you'll find. Universities shouldn't accept dullards.

Flopping A levels doesn't mean you are dumb. I believe in giving people another chance and that people mature at different rates. Not OP though, he sounds like an arrogant dumbass. If Derby University takes in failures but still puts them through a rigorous degree then I have no problem with that.
Original post by peter12345
Flopping A levels doesn't mean you are dumb. I believe in giving people another chance and that people mature at different rates. Not OP though, he sounds like an arrogant dumbass. If Derby University takes in failures but still puts them through a rigorous degree then I have no problem with that.

What's the point of A levels then? We need fewer universities not more. There is an education funding crisis!
Original post by d0mm
Sorry, these are my AS-Levels, not A levels

Maths-u
Physics-u
Geography-D
Economics-D

Please do not slate me. It was 150% my fault. Without wanting to sound arrogant, i am very clever, and i terms of natural intelligence I would definitely be up there in the top of the school. you're probably thinking i'm not-but trust me i am. Please don't slate me like i have seen on other threads, i'm feeling really low right now and you'll just have to take my word for it. My problem was i did literally NO work for the whole year. I did NO homework AT ALL and slept in every lesson all lesson. I guess i just found it so unbelievably boring and i realise now that i should not have stayed on for a levels as it's simple not for me.
But i do want to go to uni, but i have been kicked out my school. What options do i have? Whatever i do i will definitely not be as unbelievably lazy as i was this year, and i can get some decent results one day i hope.

I'm going to speak with the school tomorrow, but what can i do? Preferably i would like to go uni next year and not start from scratch by re-doing the year at collage

All help is appreciated.

im in the same position as you and basically ive come to the point where im gonna do fast track online AS/A2 course because I have heard alot of negatives from BTEC :confused::s-smilie: hope ive given you an idea to think about
Reply 64
Original post by xXxnoora95xXx
im in the same position as you and basically ive come to the point where im gonna do fast track online AS/A2 course because I have heard alot of negatives from BTEC :confused::s-smilie: hope ive given you an idea to think about

Btecs are fine. Unless you were aiming for Oxbridge or medicine/Vet/dentistry you can still get in many institutes such as Bristol for the majority of courses.
You need to research rather than rely on people's opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by d0mm
I really do mean it when i say i won't be as lazy. I've accepted it's not my personality to be incredibly hard working, but i am at least going to try and i know i can at least put in a good amount of effort. I will be (and i'm being forced to) drop physics and maths, it's not that i'm bad at them as i got a* in both at GCSE and that's why i chose them because they were my best subjects. I just realised i have absolutely zero interest in them and, unlike gcse, you have to fully pay attention to everything to do well. At GCSE it was possible to not really know anything but still get by by knowing just the basic principles. But seeing what they are like at a level there is no way i'm going to try again...just not for me :smile:

Yes, and realize this as well. GCSE has no bearing on A level, I got A* in my physics GCSE and I came out with a U in some A2 exams, but my as was a solid B so my overall grade was a C. Thankfully.

Do you have zero interest in them or did you just not try? Here is the thing, even with subjects you like there are tedious parts that you have to go through, with that attitude you will not get far.

Yep fair enough you are dropping Physics and Maths but it wasn't just the fact you didn't pay attention that you failed it was either your revision technique or just not staying on track. Be careful because you will fall into bad grades again if you don't identify why you failed. it was not just a lack of interest but a lack of work. And someone can be incredibly interested in a subject and still fail because they didn't put the work in.

What subjects do you want to do now? All A levels are hard, and do not be disheartened if your first essays or practice exams are bad results. I know my first ever A level essays were terrible I got like U's in them, but you see it creep up and up through the year and it turned into an A after months of persistence, 5 essays a week with homework. That is just what you have to do. :smile:

So retake the whole year doing geography and economics and pick up 2 new subjects as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
What's the point of A levels then? We need fewer universities not more. There is an education funding crisis!

School should be compulsory until 18 and the GCSE scrapped in favour of everyone getting A-levels, then there should be university admission tests that can be taken by anyone and have a very low chance of getting in, that way everyone gets a chance even those who failed previously :smile:.
Original post by John Stuart Mill
School should be compulsory until 18 and the GCSE scrapped in favour of everyone getting A-levels, then there should be university admission tests that can be taken by anyone and have a very low chance of getting in, that way everyone gets a chance even those who failed previously :smile:.

What's the point of A levels then
What's the point of A levels then

To get people who don't go to university jobs and as a standard for non university subjects so say you wanted to assess an applicants French or something.
Reply 69
To get people who don't go to university jobs and as a standard for non university subjects so say you wanted to assess an applicants French or something.

TF you talking about?! Terrible idea lol
Original post by Jkizer
Btecs are fine. Unless you were aiming for Oxbridge or medicine/Vet/dentistry you can still get in many institutes such as Bristol for the majority of courses.
You need to research rather than rely on people's opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats the problem i was thinking of doing like dentistry but with my grades im never getting in ill probably apply for BTEC if like absolutely no colleges accept me
Original post by ElChapo
TF you talking about?! Terrible idea lol

How is it terrible? Only people who are academically inclined would get into university and it would allow those who are academically inclined but don't have grades to not have to jump through bull**** hoops like GCSE and A-level even though they know enough for the course, furthermore it would avoid all of this: oh no i've failed my a-levels now I have to retake the entire course and waste another 2 years crap.
Reply 72
How is it terrible? Only people who are academically inclined would get into university and it would allow those who are academically inclined but don't have grades to not have to jump through bull**** hoops like GCSE and A-level even though they know enough for the course, furthermore it would avoid all of this: oh no i've failed my a-levels now I have to retake the entire course and waste another 2 years crap.

I know a lot of people who have done well in their gcses and not well in their A-Levels or the opposite where people really turn around from their gcses and beast the A-Levels. And if people are just going to take an admissions test, doesnt that defeat the purpose of doing GCSEs or A-Levels, what would be the motivation to perform in those two? I think you are making the education system out to be more broken than it is, and trying to fix things which are perfectly in order. A-Levels arent the only way into university btw, you can do BTECs or foundation/access courses.
Original post by ElChapo
I know a lot of people who have done well in their gcses and not well in their A-Levels or the opposite where people really turn around from their gcses and beast the A-Levels. And if people are just going to take an admissions test, doesnt that defeat the purpose of doing GCSEs or A-Levels, what would be the motivation to perform in those two? I think you are making the education system out to be more broken than it is, and trying to fix things which are perfectly in order. A-Levels arent the only way into university btw, you can do BTECs or foundation/access courses.

The educational system should be centred on educational standards not qualifications for the sake of qualifications and statistics, I don't advocate a view in which qualifications prior to admissions are irrelevant, but rather that they have relevance not on the basis of qualifications but having an actual education; if you do poorly in your prior qualifications you would be unlikely to continue without sufficient self study (which is what university is largely centred on is it not) as you wouldn't have the knowledge to continue.

If you didn't do well in compulsory education and you were rejected from university you would find it difficult to get a job so that should be enough motivation, and had you been accepted you would still be judged by employers on the basis of compulsory grades as you are currently by employers who look at peoples GCSEs and A-levels.

My point really, was that there should be admissions tests for those who do not have the qualifications above (or performed poorly) but have the knowledge required and do not want to spend years of their life doing GCSE and A-levels for the sake of it.

My experience with BTEC is poor, I don't know whether it was my particular BTEC or not but it was qualifications for the sake of qualifications providing no understanding of the subject what so ever, a university is a place of learning not a job breeding ground and has been derailed in modern times.

I know what i'm getting at, whether or not i'm expressing it logically or coherently here is another matter...
Reply 74
thats the problem i was thinking of doing like dentistry but with my grades im never getting in ill probably apply for BTEC if like absolutely no colleges accept me

I'm not 100% sure, but resitting the year may cut you out off courses such as medicine or dentistry full stop, unless there was personal circumstances. Or it will cut you out of many schools due to the high competitiveness of the course.
Original post by Jkizer
I'm not 100% sure, but resitting the year may cut you out off courses such as medicine or dentistry full stop, unless there was personal circumstances. Or it will cut you out of many schools due to the high competitiveness of the course.

yeah i know but i have a question say if i got into a biomedical course would i get into medicine or dentistry after would I be able to cope or is it not my kind of course
Reply 76
yeah i know but i have a question say if i got into a biomedical course would i get into medicine or dentistry after would I be able to cope or is it not my kind of course

Biomed isn't a problem. Many graduates go onto doing shortened (I think) medicine courses which gives them the same certification as any other medicine graduates. Only difference is you also have a degree in Biomed, however you would have taken longer to your finished medicine certificate.
Original post by Jkizer
Biomed isn't a problem. Many graduates go onto doing shortened (I think) medicine courses which gives them the same certification as any other medicine graduates. Only difference is you also have a degree in Biomed, however you would have taken longer to your finished medicine certificate.

ahaaa i dont mind the time to be honest last question haha erm what do people do in btec like assignments and thats it cause i have no idea what they do :confused: thanks
You would take them with UUDD? Are you a proper University? Whatever happened to 'academic excellence' - or are the fees more important?

This. Bolton accepts people with EEE and three criminal convictions. It's a disgrace.
Original post by peter12345

Doubt it's rigorous.

Quick Reply

Latest