The Student Room Group

Didn't get quite what I'd hoped for; now I'm not sure if my Uni choices are realistic

Hey TSR

Just, like most of the country, got my AS Level results back, and they're a mixed bag.

On the plus side I got above 90% overall in both Maths and Product Design, but only got a B (75% so not exactly near an A) in Economics and C in Physics (which I'm dropping).

I had thought it was more likely that I would get AABB or AAAC, so I'm now worried whether I'm aiming too high uni wise.

I'd like to do economics or economics and statistics at either LSE or UCL, but my targets will probably only be A*A*B and an a for as further maths, which I'm taking up this year.

So, with a strong and unique personal statement, will I stand much chance; obviously A*A*B isn't the same as A*AA and these uni's can be picky!

Thanks guys, really worried that I've completely messed up my chances
Reply 1
Original post by leinad2012
Hey TSR

Just, like most of the country, got my AS Level results back, and they're a mixed bag.

On the plus side I got above 90% overall in both Maths and Product Design, but only got a B (75% so not exactly near an A) in Economics and C in Physics (which I'm dropping).

I had thought it was more likely that I would get AABB or AAAC, so I'm now worried whether I'm aiming too high uni wise.

I'd like to do economics or economics and statistics at either LSE or UCL, but my targets will probably only be A*A*B and an a for as further maths, which I'm taking up this year.

So, with a strong and unique personal statement, will I stand much chance; obviously A*A*B isn't the same as A*AA and these uni's can be picky!

Thanks guys, really worried that I've completely messed up my chances

Don't worry too much, you've not messed up your chances. You would still be in for a chance of gaining a place at one of the universities you mention. Try and get the highest predicted grades you can though, and as you say work on a strong personal statement.
Reply 2
Original post by Ecosse_14
Don't worry too much, you've not messed up your chances. You would still be in for a chance of gaining a place at one of the universities you mention. Try and get the highest predicted grades you can though, and as you say work on a strong personal statement.

You really think so? My predicted will almost definitely be A*A*B, my school doesn't normally improve them.

It gets to me when I come on here and see people saying they got 100% in economics and I think 'if that's what I'm up against I've got no chance'.

I'll just have to try harder this year
If you resit Economics in January will your school not be willing to then predict you an A? I really do recommend resitting because if you do get an offer from LSE/UCL it'll almost certainly be at least AAA. You can still do it though, so don't feel disheartened and don't give up. Just make sure when it comes to choosing unis you have at least one or two which are likely to offer you lower so you can put one as your insurance.
Reply 4
You really think so? My predicted will almost definitely be A*A*B, my school doesn't normally improve them.

It gets to me when I come on here and see people saying they got 100% in economics and I think 'if that's what I'm up against I've got no chance'.

I'll just have to try harder this year

I mean I'm not saying you will get an offer, I'm just saying you won't be completely and utterly ruled out.
Reply 5
Original post by mementomori
If you resit Economics in January will your school not be willing to then predict you an A? I really do recommend resitting because if you do get an offer from LSE/UCL it'll almost certainly be at least AAA. You can still do it though, so don't feel disheartened and don't give up. Just make sure when it comes to choosing unis you have at least one or two which are likely to offer you lower so you can put one as your insurance.

Can't do resists in January any-more, ALL exams are June! Plus UCL strictly say no resits too, so that's not an option and won't really help (probably would have last year though :/)
Don't think they'll be willing to predict an A, and LSE and UCL are both A*AA, so A*A*B will be interesting.

Problem is my predicted won't be good, but I'm so determined to get at least A*A*A now :P
Can't do resists in January any-more, ALL exams are June! Plus UCL strictly say no resits too, so that's not an option and won't really help (probably would have last year though :/)
Don't think they'll be willing to predict an A, and LSE and UCL are both A*AA, so A*A*B will be interesting.

Problem is my predicted won't be good, but I'm so determined to get at least A*A*A now :P

Oh really? Wow I didn't know that, my bad.
Well like I said, I think it's worth giving it a go. Maybe applying to both unis is a bit too risky but definitely apply to one. Even if you aren't predicted an A, unis will see your AS results and may give you an offer of an A because it's not at all unrealistic to progress to an A at A2 from a B at AS.
It's a shame you won't be able to predicted an A though, that's quite harsh on the school's part... I presume your application won't be sent off until January time so maybe if you work really hard you can prove yourself? If not, don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll still be able to apply to some really good unis and there's always adjustment if you do better than expected. If you do get your A*A*A then you can call up unis and I'm sure they'd be willing to offer you a place.
Reply 7
Original post by mementomori
Oh really? Wow I didn't know that, my bad.
Well like I said, I think it's worth giving it a go. Maybe applying to both unis is a bit too risky but definitely apply to one. Even if you aren't predicted an A, unis will see your AS results and may give you an offer of an A because it's not at all unrealistic to progress to an A at A2 from a B at AS.
It's a shame you won't be able to predicted an A though, that's quite harsh on the school's part... I presume your application won't be sent off until January time so maybe if you work really hard you can prove yourself? If not, don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll still be able to apply to some really good unis and there's always adjustment if you do better than expected. If you do get your A*A*A then you can call up unis and I'm sure they'd be willing to offer you a place.

That seems to be along the lines of what I was thinking, other than that I might put in my application as early as possible (if up t the highest standard) so that I know whats going on with it.

I've been trying really hard over the Summer to keep to a strong level, so there's a small chance of an A predicted, it just seems to be an unwritten rule at my school that they won't offer you higher unless they're sure you'll get it, otherwise you're just wasting an option

Quick Reply

Latest