The Student Room Group

Please help me!! What can I do?

jj
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ptolemy001
I got my AS results today. They were Bs in bio and econ, a C in german and (here's the real issue) an E in chemistry. :frown:

Supposing the school don't let me carry on with chem into A2, which they probably won't, what can I do with my remaining subjects? I'm really gutted because i know that chemisty is the main science that universities want when doing a science degree.

I know it could've been worse (it could've also been a lot better) but I just really need some advice. And do ucas points really matter? Do i have to retake AS chem?

Any help would be appreciated.

When you say "what can I do", do you mean what university subjects? A large number of subjects don't require any specific subjects, so certainly don't worry too much.

Do you enjoy Chemistry? If not, it's probably not something to focus on pursuing further. You don't have to retake it, especially given that many universities are mainly interested in your grades in your three main subjects.

I think it's best here that you speak to your teachers for advice, first about whether you could/should continue with Chemistry (with or without a retake of any modules) and then to explore what university subjects might interest you.
Reply 2
I got my AS results today. They were Bs in bio and econ, a C in german and (here's the real issue) an E in chemistry. :frown:

Supposing the school don't let me carry on with chem into A2, which they probably won't, what can I do with my remaining subjects? I'm really gutted because i know that chemisty is the main science that universities want when doing a science degree.

I know it could've been worse (it could've also been a lot better) but I just really need some advice. And do ucas points really matter? Do i have to retake AS chem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry isn't that important for a science degree. They often just ask for two science subjects, and I imagine economics would be included in that (maths usually is, anyway).

Your other subjects demonstrate a range of skills, so there's plenty you could do with them. Obviously, you won't get into chemistry, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get onto a biology course (somewhere around the middle third of the league table, I expect) or something.

Of course, the three sciences aren't the only options. Based on your own interests, look at courses you think you'll enjoy. If the entry requirements don't specify chemistry, you'll be totally fine without it.

If you do want A2 chemistry, all you can do is ask your teachers nicely if they'll let you resit the AS and try to bump your grade up. If you do that, you'll probably need to do an extra year at college/sixth-form - while that isn't ideal, I can assure you from first-hand experience that it's not all that bad. I definitely feel much, much better-prepared for uni after three years than I did after two.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Illusionary
When you say "what can I do", do you mean what university subjects? A large number of subjects don't require any specific subjects, so certainly don't worry too much.

Do you enjoy Chemistry? If not, it's probably not something to focus on pursuing further. You don't have to retake it, especially given that many universities are mainly interested in your grades in your three main subjects.

I think it's best here that you speak to your teachers for advice, first about whether you could/should continue with Chemistry (with or without a retake of any modules) and then to explore what university subjects might interest you.

Great advice. Listen to this Illusionary.
Reply 4
Original post by Illusionary

I don't really enjoy chemistry but i love biology and i can't do a bio degree without chem apparently. I'll follow your advice though as it seems very sensible and i can't really think rationally atm. Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by dendodge
Chemistry isn't that important for a science degree. They often just ask for two science subjects, and I imagine economics would be included in that (maths usually is, anyway).

Your other subjects demonstrate a range of skills, so there's plenty you could do with them. Obviously, you won't get into chemistry, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get onto a biology course (somewhere around the middle third of the league table, I expect) or something.

Of course, the three sciences aren't the only options. Based on your own interests, look at courses you think you'll enjoy. If the entry requirements don't specify chemistry, you'll be totally fine without it.

If you do want A2 chemistry, all you can do is ask your teachers nicely if they'll let you resit the AS and try to bump your grade up. If you do that, you'll probably need to do an extra year at college/sixth-form - while that isn't ideal, I can assure you from first-hand experience that it's not all that bad. I definitely feel much, much better-prepared for uni after three years than I did after two.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I don't really want to do AS chem again, i've had enough. But wouldn't it really bring down my ucas points? And the problem is most science degrees do specify chem :frown:
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice! I don't really want to do AS chem again, i've had enough. But wouldn't it really bring down my ucas points? And the problem is most science degrees do specify chem :frown:

Well, an E at AS is worth a few less UCAS points than a better grade, but that just means you need to do slightly better in a different subject next year to balance it out - annoying, but not that big of a deal.

Most of the degrees I looked at were physics-related, so they were more interested in maths than in chemistry, and I can't really comment on the life sciences. Chemistry is definitely helpful for science subjects, and not having it will make things more difficult, but if you keep looking I'm sure you can find a course that will take you.

But if you have your heart set on studying a "hard" science (and I don't blame you, because science is awesome), I would really recommend resitting chemistry and doing an extra year. It may not be required by every university, but it will definitely help wherever you end up.

Keep looking, and talk to your teachers, because they might be able to find some alternatives for you.

Quick Reply

Latest