The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh 2014 entry requirements confusion ?!?! help

BBB or more if two sittings,
My questions are that by two sittings does it mean resits, or redoing a year?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by IndiaJones
Hello, I am a year 12 AS level student (I just recieved BBBB in maths, biology, chemistry and maths). I would like to apply for medical sciences at Edinburgh for 2014 entry and I am confused by the entry requirements and so have a few questions.

It states -
"A Levels: BBB or more if two sittings, including Biology and Chemistry. Mathematics and/or Physics are recommended. GCSE: English at Grade C and Mathematics at Grade B."

My questions are that by two sittings does it mean resits, or redoing a year?

Also it says the entry requirements are BBB, but then says the offer will be AAB, so does this mean you can apply with BBB but assuming you get an offer, you will be expected to achieve AAB (or AAA I can't remember).

My final question is that with the Scottish education system, would I have to choose 2 other courses?

Thank you.

Yes it means b redoing a year, for example for your A2 results next year you got CCD you will not have met the minimum entry requirements to be considered so you will have to repeat your A2s next year if you would like to be considered for 2015 entry. Hope that makes sense. :smile:

The minimum entry requirements ad BBB it means that for them to consider you application you must achieve BBB if you have already sat your A2s prior to applying and are not planning on taking anymore.

As for the last question I don't fully understand what you mean but I don't think you have to do multiple courses many students just do a single honours.

Hope I was able to help. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I will just quickly add to your thread, IndiaJones, for I am also confused with the requirements. Does any of you happen to know if IB Mathematical Studies SL is OK for medicine at Edinburgh?? The requirements say this:

"IB: Overall score of 37 points (including TOK and EE) including 667 at HL in Chemistry and at least one other science subject (Biology preferred). Biology should be taken to at least SL. You must also provide evidence of a qualification at minimum Standard Grade 2 or GCSE B or equivalent in Mathematics and English if these subjects do not form part of your IB diploma. If you are using English at SL as part of our English language requirement, you must obtain Grade 5."

I don't know what the level equivalent to GCSE B is. I am not from the UK, I have not taken the GCSEs. Could any of you help me with that one?
Reply 3
Original post by ollexandra
I will just quickly add to your thread, IndiaJones, for I am also confused with the requirements. Does any of you happen to know if IB Mathematical Studies SL is OK for medicine at Edinburgh?? The requirements say this:

"IB: Overall score of 37 points (including TOK and EE) including 667 at HL in Chemistry and at least one other science subject (Biology preferred). Biology should be taken to at least SL. You must also provide evidence of a qualification at minimum Standard Grade 2 or GCSE B or equivalent in Mathematics and English if these subjects do not form part of your IB diploma. If you are using English at SL as part of our English language requirement, you must obtain Grade 5."

I don't know what the level equivalent to GCSE B is. I am not from the UK, I have not taken the GCSEs. Could any of you help me with that one?

I'm sorry I have no idea when it comes to the IB, you may want to make a separate thread.

I hope you get your answer soon!
Original post by ollexandra

Afraid you'll have to e-mail admissions with that one!
Ignore BBB, people get turned down with A*'s and A's for Medicine. It is one of the best medicine departments in the world.

I would say apply if you are predicted AAB+, otherwise it may be a bit of a waste of an application. It can be a bit of a lottery, depending on whether they like you or not.
My friend didn't get in with A*A*A (predicted and achieved), so don't expect acceptance!
Reply 6
Original post by DonLad Academia
Ignore BBB, people get turned down with A*'s and A's for Medicine. It is one of the best medicine departments in the world.

I would say apply if you are predicted AAB+, otherwise it may be a bit of a waste of an application. It can be a bit of a lottery, depending on whether they like you or not.
My friend didn't get in with A*A*A (predicted and achieved), so don't expect acceptance!

They were referring to Medical Sciences, not Medicine. They're different subjects.
I'm also confused by the distinction between 'typical offer' and 'entry requirements.' I'm considering applying for 'Philosophy and Politics' where the 'typical offer' is AAA or for me-40 in IB. It also says applicants must meet the minimum entry requirements BBB or 34 in IB.
I got 38 so I'm a good 4 points clear of the min.entry requirements but 2 shy of their typical offer. Thus was just wondering- does anyone know if Edinburgh tend to offer places to students who have already achieved their grades and have exceeded the min.requirements, but whom are just shy of the 'typical offer' ?
Reply 8
Original post by henrychisholm3
I'm also confused by the distinction between 'typical offer' and 'entry requirements.' I'm considering applying for 'Philosophy and Politics' where the 'typical offer' is AAA or for me-40 in IB. It also says applicants must meet the minimum entry requirements BBB or 34 in IB.
I got 38 so I'm a good 4 points clear of the min.entry requirements but 2 shy of their typical offer. Thus was just wondering- does anyone know if Edinburgh tend to offer places to students who have already achieved their grades and have exceeded the min.requirements, but whom are just shy of the 'typical offer' ?

You meet the minimum entry requirements, so they'll consider your application, and people get offers for a variety of grades. The 'typical offer' isn't the only offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending