The Student Room Group

Can you get into russel group universities when...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by booklover96
I underestimated the work ethic that is needed for As and completely messed up when it came to managing my time effectively and I sure will learn from it. Will this hinder me in anyway as I didn't have any extenuating circumstances??

no, not really

Original post by Infinity_4652

Yes, i know for sure you can be accepted at any russel group uni BUT...
only if you explain to them on your personal statement the reasons for you having to retake the year and they accept it.
However, you obviously cant just say you were lazy/ couldnt be bothered.
If you do, only the unis like portsmouth/ bolton/ london met will accept you.

WRONG. I resat year 12, gave no explanation as to why on my personal statement and I got 5 offers.
Hi the college has a 90% pass rate (albeit pass rates are A-E) but the college wasn't for me. They offer virtually no support at all and expect students to be fine on their own and the teachers had a very patronising, belittling style of teaching. (Like asking you what's wrong with you if you don't get a part of the lesson etc)...
And this took a great knock to my confidence.

My sixth form is no difference to your college.
You'll be fine, so dont worry about it. Just make sure you learn from your mistakes.

Out of interest, may i ask which college you go to?
Original post by michaelhaych

WRONG. I resat year 12, gave no explanation as to why on my personal statement and I got 5 offers.

Correct. OP, your ps should be a positive statement of why you want to study this course at this university. It should not be filled with what went wrong last time.

From which unis did you get your 5 offers for?

Some retakers dont give their reasons on their personal statement for resitting the year and they get away with it - you are one of them, so lucky you.
For other retakers, the unis they apply to ask them for the reasons they have to resit the year.

Some retakers dont give their reasons on their personal statement for resitting the year and they get away with it - you are one of them, so lucky you.
For other retakers, the unis they apply to ask them for the reasons they have to resit the year.

Sheffield (Russell Group)
York (Russell Group)
Glasgow (Russell Group)
Lancaster
Leicester

5 offers and not one of them asked why I resat. No-one else I know was asked to provide reasons for resitting either

Your reference should address the reasons for resitting in a positive way. It shouldn't go in your ps.
Reply 26
York (Russell Group)
Glasgow (Russell Group)
Lancaster
Leicester

5 offers and not one of them asked why I resat. No-one else I know was asked to provide reasons for resitting either

Wow those are really good unis! Congrats and thank you so much I feel a lot more optimistic now. :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Your reference should address the reasons for resitting in a positive way. It shouldn't go in your ps.

Thank you so much! I feel so much more better now knowing that my chances will not be marred that much by my choosing of retaking AS again. Thank you so much as you have made me feel so much better. :biggrin:
Reply 28
My sixth form is no difference to your college.
You'll be fine, so dont worry about it. Just make sure you learn from your mistakes.

Out of interest, may i ask which college you go to?

Thank you I deffo will. And I messaged you the college I went to. :smile:
Thank you so much! I feel so much more better now knowing that my chances will not be marred that much by my choosing of retaking AS again. Thank you so much as you have made me feel so much better. :biggrin:
No problem. Writing references and supervising personal statements is what I do for a living.
Edit: No idea where that smiley came from!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
No problem. Writing references:s-smilie: and supervising personal statements is what I do for a living.

That's reassured me even more. You're doing a fine job at it. :wink:
That's reassured me even more. You're doing a fine job at it. :wink:

That's very kind. After 25 years, you get the hang of it.
Reply 32
Can you please tell me the ones that wouldn't consider me? Hopefully it works out

Well the only people who can tell you that are the unis themselves.

But I suppose in my view the following would not like AS resits in descending order:

Oxbridge
Gap

ICL
Large Gap

LSE/ UCL/ St Andrews
Gap

Rest of RG1 - your Edinburghs, Durhams, Warwicks, York etc
Gap

94A - Bath, Lboro, UEA, Lancaster etc
RG2 - Your Sotons, Manc, Notts, Sheffield.
Reply 33
Original post by gardan
Hi I'm thinking of resitting the year also , with ACCC AS Econ-Chem-Bio & Eng results as I would like to apply for a top Uni, I understand if I really knuckle down and possibly do a couple of resits next June , I could get ABB at A level hopefully, I messed up January exams 2013 and feel with 7 exams over the june period I gave myself to much to do , not an excuse just explaining lesson learnt. Do you think I should resit year 12 or try to do well at A2, my worry is that with no resits available jan 2014 and what my Application my look like this year if I put ACCC on my application. But if the top Uni frown on resit year 12 then ???? MMmm any help appreciated , hope my thoughts are ok on your thread BTW

Can you refer to my reply to Booklover ? Cheers
Hmm, I wouldn't bad mouth the college, maybe say something like you wanted to be sure you reached your full potential and decided to redo them, if you say anything at all. I did an Access course, but I didn't explain in my PS why I dropped out of school and didn't do any qualifications, I just focused on the positives. (I dropped out after being attacked by a dog and having surgery constantly because of it, hence missing a lot of school) If you try to navigate the blame however, they may see that as a not so good thing, this is only my opinion, even though it may be true. Just say you felt like you had more to give, you may benefit from asking others opinions, however; I see no problem with you getting into a RG uni. Good luck.
Reply 35
what can i do with ABBB(two of the Bs are 79%) Psychology, Sociology, English Lit, History, at AS level. can I apply to lse or durham to read History ,philosophy or law? i would appreciate your advice.
i cant imagine not getting into a good uni because of not getting 2% higher :-(
York (Russell Group)
Glasgow (Russell Group)
Lancaster
Leicester

Well lucky you.
Every teacher and uni student who I asked said you have to give your reasons.

Really?? I've heard the applicant has to put it into his/her personal statement because the uni wants to hear the applicant speak.
And yes, I know about the referee also giving the reasons in the reference.
Thank you I deffo will. And I messaged you the college I went to :smile:

I was thinking the college would be one from the many im thinking of, all of which are the worst in London.
But I don't know much about the colleges in your part of the country.

Anyways, do you know where you will be going to in september?
I will also be transferring to resit the year.
If I stay at my sixth form for 2 more years, I will cry so much.
This school is one of the worst in the London borough where I live and in north London.
I hate it so much and I've been there for 6 years now.
Well lucky you.
Every teacher and uni student who I asked said you have to give your reasons.

Really?? I've heard the applicant has to put it into his/her personal statement because the uni wants to hear the applicant speak.
And yes, I know about the referee also giving the reasons in the reference.

They can hear the applicant speak at an interview, if it is a course that interviews. The ps should not be a place to bring up negative issues.
They can hear the applicant speak at an interview, if it is a course that interviews. The ps should not be a place to bring up negative issues.

Why do my teachers lie to me about everything??!! :angry:
Stupid school!!
My form tutor told me retakers will never be accepted at any russel group uni, I was so depressed about it for like weeks!

Quick Reply

Latest