The Student Room Group

Those who just finished A-levels: any advice for those about to start their A2s?

What advice do you have to share?
Original post by im so academic
What advice do you have to share?

So how did the results go :holmes:

Probably the best advice anyone can have is to source as many past papers as humanly possible, and start your summer revision before the actual revision period
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I'd revise as much as you can for the first three exams because getting good marks in them leaves you with less to get in the yr13 summer exam to get your overall grade. That way there's less pressure as you can always resit the first three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Architecture-er
So how did the results go :holmes:

Probably the best advice anyone can have is to source as many past papers as humanly possible, and start your summer revision before the actual revision period

Good.

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by JadeRhianna
I'd revise as much as you can for the first three exams because getting good marks in them leaves you with less to get in the yr13 summer exam to get your overall grade. That way there's less pressure as you can always resit the first three.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually we don't have January exams any more.
From my experience as a medical applicant:

1) Work from day 1 - so many friends spent their time in the pub and then crammed for a month and have missed their offers

2) Take UCAS seriously - know the deadlines and meet them. Also do your research on courses/ universities etc.

3) Past papers - as many as possible and learn the mark schemes off by heart.

4) Have fun as well, 'work hard, play harder'... I for one found that I rather like Scotch :smile:
Reply 6
Well if you done well in your AS, more of the same
Original post by ElChapo
Well if you done well in your AS, more of the same

Surely it's a step-up so you would have to be doing something extra to offset the harder work to come, right?
Write and edit the hell out of your personal statement. Get as many people to look at it e.g infact if your doing pharmacy walk in and ask your local pharmacist to do it... Apply for UNI before October.

Since you don't have January exams start your AS revision much earlier. Even like remake your notes and keep rewriting them from about March.

For your A2's for each lesson on every topic have a separate book for your independent work, in class when you've learnt something do the homework etc and for say chemistry make your detailed notes from your school textbook and a good revision guide. Then do some exam questions.

Take end of Unit tests seriously.

Make loads of mind maps at the end of units there's good to put up on the wall and read while your getting dressed and even if you just glance at it everyday you won't forget modules you did earlier in the year.

Get a copy of the spec and have a checklist of revision notes.

Learn to sacrifice things for work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Write and edit the hell out of your personal statement. Get as many people to look at it e.g infact if your doing pharmacy walk in and ask your local pharmacist to do it... Apply for UNI before October.

Since you don't have January exams start your AS revision much earlier. Even like remake your notes and keep rewriting them from about March.

For your A2's for each lesson on every topic have a separate book for your independent work, in class when you've learnt something do the homework etc and for say chemistry make your detailed notes from your school textbook and a good revision guide. Then do some exam questions.

Take end of Unit tests seriously.

Make loads of mind maps at the end of units there's good to put up on the wall and read while your getting dressed and even if you just glance at it everyday you won't forget modules you did earlier in the year.

Get a copy of the spec and have a checklist of revision notes.

Learn to sacrifice things for work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, there seems to be a lot of useful advice there.
Reply 10
Surely it's a step-up so you would have to be doing something extra to offset the harder work to come, right?

Hmm well I failed my AS a bit, but still for my subjects at least the jump from AS to A2 is very manageable, a lot of my AS knowledge had to be applied for my A2's
Depends which subjects I guess, but past papers are your best friend.
And don't leave things to the last minute like I always do :lol: Make sure you're working hard through the whole year.
Original post by Maid Marian
Depends which subjects I guess, but past papers are your best friend.
And don't leave things to the last minute like I always do :lol: Make sure you're working hard through the whole year.

Anything I could do now?
Anything I could do now?

Not really. :erm: I'd say enjoy the holidays :h: Unless you want to revise the AS stuff for the synoptic side in A2.

Quick Reply

Latest