The Student Room Group

Is UCL a step too far?

Hello there people of TSR! :biggrin:

I received my AS results today and managed to get:

Government and Politics - A
English Language - A
History - B
English Literature - B

School will probably be predicting me an A*AB for next year. I'm chuffed, but I'm wondering whether these grades would be acceptable in applying to read Politics at a top uni like UCL? I'll of course work on the best damn personal statement I can muster.

Are these grades strengthened by the fact that I attend a bottom 70 school?

I don't know how much it helps, but I attended their Year 12 Summer Challenge this year and managed to win one of the research-project prizes.

If not, I think that I'm going to have to seriously re-consider my hopeful uni choices. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Dont say muster lol,
Anyways I'd try and get predicted A*AA, then definitely it's unlikely they'll reject you due to grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
AAB will get you into UCL. Being predicted all As would make your application stand out of course though, but you can still get a place with AAB.
It's definitely worth a shot with those grades! It really does depend on your predicted grades, and what you think you're capable of achieving. If you think you will be predicted A*AB, then as a general rule, I'd advise one, or maybe two 'top' perhaps more ambitious choices! Another choice should be an insurance, so somewhere you'd still be really happy going, but that asks for lower grades than what you are predicted - say for example, ABB. And then the other two choices should be universities you like and would definitely consider going to that match your predicted grades. :smile:
Reply 4
I am pretty sure that UCL would be happy to make you an offer.
Reply 5
Not at all mate congrats on your results!!
Reply 6
Great results my friend, I think UCl would likely make you an offer.
Reply 7
Many thanks to you all! I think that I may consider asking for my prediction to be raised to an A*AA when I get back to school. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest