The Student Room Group

Failed placement

Hi,

I am feeling pretty down and angry at the moment having failed my final nursing placement. It has been a horrible few weeks watching as everyone is posting to Facebook about qualifying and getting jobs when you know that you aren't in that position. I am not denying I need to know more about medications.

My mentor has been away for about 4 weeks of my placement and therefore not been able to properly assess my knowledge and skills. Our skills log has two columns the first can be signed by any RN and the second has to be signed by a qualified sign off mentor. When my mentor returned she looked at my skills log and said she doesn't think she can sign any off and even started questioning why the RN had signed the first column.

I feel that she is entitled to her opinion but it seems strange that one RN deems me competent yet my mentor doesn't. I also didn't like the fact that they went and questioned the RN. It almost seems to be a personal thing against me and one which I don't want the RN to be dragged into.

When my mentor has been there it has been horrible and I hate working with them and will do everything to avoid working with them. I have found that when talking to patients they constantly butt in which makes it sound as though I am incompetent and don't know what I am saying. The other day one patient noticed this and seemed a bit taken aback by it.

I am a generally shy, quiet person but am good at one on one communications and always listen to the patient.

Whilst I am not denying I could of done more to help myself it is pretty difficult to keep going when your mentor is making negative comments and belittling you in front of other staff. It got to the point where other staff noticed this and asked if I wanted to be moved to a different team.

I feel the final straw was when the university, my mentor and another RN turned round and said I should choose a different career. The last few weeks have been hell to the point of me nearly walking out.

I feel that I have failed this placement because of this bad relationship with my mentor which has caused me nothing but undue stress. I am determined to succeed though.

Should I have a meeting with the university without the mentor present to explain the situation in full or just leave it and hope I do better on another placement.
Reply 1
What harm is there to be had with having a meeting with uni anyway? What are your other placement reports like? Have you had a personality clash with your mentor on this placement? If other RN's have signed you off as competent then what is this mentors reasons for saying you aren't? Did they consult whoever signed you off? What percentage of you placement have you worked with your mentor for? There's a specific minimum they should be working with you for.

Hope this has given you things to think about. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending