The Student Room Group

Being realistic, undergrad or grad medicine?

How realistic is it to have obtained ABB at A2 and apply for undergraduate medicine as a gap year student? I understand only a few universities offer this including UEA (only with predictions of A*AA) and considering that my teachers are extremely strict on predicted grades I may have to transfer to a different local school and perhaps have the required predictions there. There is also the risk of not being able to achieve those grades in the end or not even having an offer in the first place :frown:

I currently have an unconditional firm for pharmacy at UEA, although that isn't the course I have set my heart on... should i take the opportunity and take the course and if I'm still committed to Medicine, apply to graduate medicine with a pharmacy degree under my belt?
Reply 1
Original post by tn234
How realistic is it to have obtained ABB at A2 and apply for undergraduate medicine as a gap year student? I understand only a few universities offer this including UEA (only with predictions of A*AA) and considering that my teachers are extremely strict on predicted grades I may have to transfer to a different local school and perhaps have the required predictions there. There is also the risk of not being able to achieve those grades in the end or not even having an offer in the first place :frown:

I currently have an unconditional firm for pharmacy at UEA, although that isn't the course I have set my heart on... should i take the opportunity and take the course and if I'm still committed to Medicine, apply to graduate medicine with a pharmacy degree under my belt?

So you received ABB at A2? Why are you on about predicted grades then?!

If you have just received ABB at A2, then you are looking at having to go via the GEM route unless you qualify for medicine via a foundation or access course.
Reply 2
Original post by Kyalimers
So you received ABB at A2? Why are you on about predicted grades then?!

If you have just received ABB at A2, then you are looking at having to go via the GEM route unless you qualify for medicine via a foundation or access course.

I meant as in retake modules next year, they still have to predict me grades if I decide to retake if I reapply
Reply 3
Original post by tn234
I meant as in retake modules next year, they still have to predict me grades if I decide to retake if I reapply

I'm no expert on this and may be wrong but my understanding was that you had to retake all modules and thus the whole A-Level? As I say, I really don't know about that though.

This wiki page will explain to you where you can and cannot apply.
This is interesting as I was wondering certain things myself with regards to additional subject I should have if any for Medical school
Reply 5
Most places do not accept resit candidates I'm afraid.*

The better option would be to go on and do an undergrad degree, then apply for grad or undergrad medicine post graduation.

*by resit, I meant A2 resits, not AS
Original post by tn234

Don't let anyone tell you that "you can't do this or that or that places do not accept students that have resit".

Believe in yourself and it is always best to do your own research and to be honest not ask others because it can cause you to disheartened. Trust yourself because your decisions will only affect you. Let your heart and brain work together along with the research you've done to assist you in making your own firm decision.
I've just got my AS Results and they haven't come out the way I planned (BBCC). From my understanding from e-mailing top medical schools (Oxford, Cam, Imperial etc.), resitting any modules in a third year will certainly rule you out of a chance for most uni's. If you managed to get AAA/A*AA in two years and you resat modules within those two years, you'll be fine.

By resitting any in a third year, you must realize you've significantly cut off other medical schools in giving you an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending