The Student Room Group

in need of desperate advice:'(

This may be abit of a long post so I apologise if I ramble on a bit too much:frown:
Okay, so basically I got my AS results yesterday which weren't very good AT ALL.

My AS results:
OCR biology - Grade: D - Mark: 165/300
Edexcel english lit - Grade: D - Mark: 113/200
OCR religious studies - Grade: C - Mark: 130/200

There were personal reasons why I haven't done well, and this is not me feeling sorry for myself but its actually true:frown: also, these subj's aren't what I really wanted to study, but my parents kind of persuaded me to do. I'm stuck in a dilemma, I dont know if I should carry on through to A2 next year, or to re-sit my AS levels, but choose different subj's.

If I re-sit my AS year, I want to do subj's I am actually interested in, i.e. psychology, sociology and urdu.

I'm so confused:frown: shall I just carry on into A2 and just do the best I can, or shall I re-sit my AS year and be left a year behind?? :confused:

Please help:frown:
Reply 1
It is your future not your parents, and while it might make tension at home do what it is you want to do or you'll regret it.

Don't worry about being a year behind, loads of my friends are doing third years and I'm sure a few of yours will too!
I failed my first year at college with the grades E,E,U for a range of reasons. My personal tutor told me that I was going to be a failure in life and my mum told me to get a job in boots.

This year I passed the first year of my Pharmacology degree with a high 2:1 and I've done a summer work experience placement already. (most people do it after 2nd year) I was, at one point going to listen to the negativity and drop out, can you imagine?
Reply 3
[INDENT] It is your future not your parents, and while it might make tension at home do what it is you want to do or you'll regret it.

Don't worry about being a year behind, loads of my friends are doing third years and I'm sure a few of yours will too! [/INDENT]

thankyou katie:smile:

failed my first year at college with the grades E,E,U for a range of reasons. My personal tutor told me that I was going to be a failure in life and my mum told me to get a job in boots.

This year I passed the first year of my Pharmacology degree with a high 2:1 and I've done a summer work experience placement already. (most people do it after 2nd year) I was, at one point going to listen to the negativity and drop out, can you imagine?

wow stringerbell9 thats amazing! And congrats on passing your first year:smile: was just wondering, did you re-sit your AS level? And if so, which subjs did you do and what grades did you get? Also, did you want to study Pharmacoloy right from the beginning, or did you decide on that later on?

sorry about all the questions haha:colondollar:
Those grades aren't bad at all! You really need to decide for yourself whether you want to redo you A levels, if you're happy to carry on to A2 and try your hardest then I'd do that, but if you think you might not do well enough if you carry on with the subject you're doing right now in A2, then I'd swap them. This is your life, not your parents'. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Hey, I got CDDU. Although I'm hoping with a remark that should be BCDE (and I was predicted AABB) :frown: Although they're not personal reasons I guess, I moved countries last year and have found adjusting to this system really, really difficult. Right now I'm going to continue to A2 and re sit a few modules and just work really hard, if I don't get the right grades I'll just do another year at college. But I am having a meeting with my head of sixth form to see what she recommends. Good luck :smile:
Original post by stressed.human
This may be abit of a long post so I apologise if I ramble on a bit too much:frown:
Okay, so basically I got my AS results yesterday which weren't very good AT ALL.

My AS results:
OCR biology - Grade: D - Mark: 165/300
Edexcel english lit - Grade: D - Mark: 113/200
OCR religious studies - Grade: C - Mark: 130/200

There were personal reasons why I haven't done well, and this is not me feeling sorry for myself but its actually true:frown: also, these subj's aren't what I really wanted to study, but my parents kind of persuaded me to do. I'm stuck in a dilemma, I dont know if I should carry on through to A2 next year, or to re-sit my AS levels, but choose different subj's.

If I re-sit my AS year, I want to do subj's I am actually interested in, i.e. psychology, sociology and urdu.

I'm so confused:frown: shall I just carry on into A2 and just do the best I can, or shall I re-sit my AS year and be left a year behind?? :confused:

Please help:frown:

If you feel like you can definitely do better than that, I would recommend resitting your AS year.

However, you have to really think about what you want to do when you're older. Obviously hating the subjects you're doing is a no-go, but doing Psychology, Sociology and Urdu for AS might not be the best idea, because two of them are 'non-facilitating subjects' and the third might be irrelevant to your degree (if you want to go to uni, which I'd assume you do). Maybe try doing one or two facilitating subjects alongside Psychology/Sociology and Urdu?

It's all about balancing what you like and what will get you where you want to go.

I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 7
Those grades aren't bad at all! You really need to decide for yourself whether you want to redo you A levels, if you're happy to carry on to A2 and try your hardest then I'd do that, but if you think you might not do well enough if you carry on with the subject you're doing right now in A2, then I'd swap them.

Its just really confusing, because I keep thinking, 'well what if I re-do my first year and still end up with the same kinda grades' :confused:

Hey, I got CDDU. Although I'm hoping with a remark that should be BCDE (and I was predicted AABB) Although they're not personal reasons I guess, I moved countries last year and have found adjusting to this system really, really difficult. Right now I'm going to continue to A2 and re sit a few modules and just work really hard, if I don't get the right grades I'll just do another year at college. But I am having a meeting with my head of sixth form to see what she recommends

Aww :frown: well best of luck! &hmm maybe I should speak to the head of my 6th form too

but doing Psychology, Sociology and Urdu for AS might not be the best idea, because two of them are 'non-facilitating subjects' and the third might be irrelevant to your degree (if you want to go to uni, which I'd assume you do). Maybe try doing one or two facilitating subjects alongside Psychology/Sociology and Urdu?

well the thing is, I want to do either psychology or audiology at uni, and because psychology counts as a science subj, I thought it'd be the one subject that i'd definitely need to study. The other 2 are just subj's that i think i'd enjoy:confused: does it matter what subj i do alongside psychology if the uni's I want to apply to focus on how many points you've achieved??

Quick Reply

Latest