The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxbridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ZLN
I was rejected by Oxford post-interview for physics this year but have been accepted into my next best choice Warwick, for maths. Now I know the Maths department at Warwick has a very good reputation, and the flexibility of the course really appeals to me, but after getting my results I'm in two minds about what to do next year regarding reapplying.

My grades were A*s in Maths, Further Maths and Economics, and a D1 (equivalent to 'above' an A*) in Pre-U Physics. I also got A's in my Spanish and Additional Further Maths AS's. I achieved a Distinction in AEA and a 1 in STEP (right on the 1/2 grade boundary), and my module scores are as follows:

C1 - 97
C2 - 88
C3 - 96
C4 - 97
FP1 - 95
FP2 - 98
FP3 - 100
S1 - 96
S2 - 96
D1 - 96
M1 - 93
M2 - 98
M3 - 100
M4 - 93
M5 - 100

Cambridge Maths is pretty much out of the question - I'd be very unlikely to get a 1,1 in STEP II and III, and whilst I get good grades, I'm not the sort who gets into all the BMO competitions and is naturally amazing. NatSci would also be a bit of a push (if not impossible) seeing as I haven't done Chemistry or Biology.

That leaves reapplying for Physics at Oxford, or applying for Maths at Oxford.

1) Will having my current grades put me at an advantage when applying a second time around? Or are they pretty much expected?

2) If I were to reapply to Oxford for Maths rather than Physics, would it be okay to apply to the same college as before?

3) Do you personally think it's worth rejecting my Warwick offer just to try and get the Oxbridge name (I will hopefully end up working in the city after uni, although I'm not sure yet)

4) Is the Maths/Physics workload at Oxford likely to be more than at Warwick for Maths? I've been told the Maths workload at Warwick is ridiculously high - on a par with Oxbridge maybe?

Obviously there are details about myself that will make the difference as well - I'd probably prefer the Oxford collegiate system, but also want a good social life so perhaps a lively campus is better for that. Regarding the course - I like the fact I can take lots of Physics modules under the Maths degree at Warwick, whereas Oxford's Maths and Physics courses seem much more restricted.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated, sorry for the long post :smile:

Wouldn't do it - I think Warwick's maths course is better than Oxford's (sorry Noble :tongue:)

Your grades are pretty good, but probably on par with most of Warwick / Oxford undergrads. Warwick grads do exceptionally well in the city, so you're not restricting yourself there.

The only thing I would consider is how much Physics you want to learn going forward - if you think you can get S, 1 in STEP II/III, I always recommend those who want to do theoretical physics to do Cambridge maths; it's got the best set of options in the world. Only reapply if you are fundamentally desperate to get into Oxbridge. Otherwise I would stick to Warwick maths and go this year.
Reply 21
ZLN
OP
Original post by shamika
Wouldn't do it - I think Warwick's maths course is better than Oxford's (sorry Noble :tongue:)

Your grades are pretty good, but probably on par with most of Warwick / Oxford undergrads. Warwick grads do exceptionally well in the city, so you're not restricting yourself there.

The only thing I would consider is how much Physics you want to learn going forward - if you think you can get S, 1 in STEP II/III, I always recommend those who want to do theoretical physics to do Cambridge maths; it's got the best set of options in the world. Only reapply if you are fundamentally desperate to get into Oxbridge. Otherwise I would stick to Warwick maths and go this year.

One of the things I loved about Warwick's maths course is the freedom I have to take physics modules too, so personally there's not much of an issue for me there. Are you implying that if I were to take a year out and apply for Cambridge Maths, they would be unlikely to give a standard offer of 1,1, but more likely S,1 or even S,S? I think I would be unlikely to make that offer.

One possible option would be for me to apply for Part III at Cambridge instead of doing the 4th year at Warwick. Then again, this would be massively competitive to get into, and if I don't think I could achieve a 1,1 now, then it's probably a sign I wouldn't be good enough even 3 years down the line!
Reply 22
Original post by ZLN
One of the things I loved about Warwick's maths course is the freedom I have to take physics modules too, so personally there's not much of an issue for me there. Are you implying that if I were to take a year out and apply for Cambridge Maths, they would be unlikely to give a standard offer of 1,1, but more likely S,1 or even S,S? I think I would be unlikely to make that offer.

One possible option would be for me to apply for Part III at Cambridge instead of doing the 4th year at Warwick. Then again, this would be massively competitive to get into, and if I don't think I could achieve a 1,1 now, then it's probably a sign I wouldn't be good enough even 3 years down the line!

Unless things have changed, a first from Warwick should be a pretty much an auto-acceptance (the entry requirements sound a lot tougher than they are, in fact they're a lot stricter on current Cambridge students than elsewhere).

Yes, STEP offers for post A-Level students tend to be harsher. Wouldn't do it if I were you, I would go to Warwick - its a fantastic university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest