The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2014 Applicants

Just wondering, who is thinking of applying to Birmingham for 2014 entry?
I'm applying to study English.
---
Connect to Birmingham here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Me! I'm hoping to do Law :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
I'm planning to, for Psychology :smile:
Reply 3
I'm planning on applying to law :smile:
Original post by LeJennifleur
I'm planning to, for Psychology :smile:

Hey :smile: any questions about psychology at UoB, I'll be answering here shortly! : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2433261
Reply 5
I'm hoping to do psychology :smile:
Reply 6
I'm hoping to do Computer Science
I think im applying to do medicine- loved the look of it from the open day!
Reply 8
I really want to do medicine but would never get A(*)AA on my current grade trajectory.
I'm on a week of work experience and it's just so technical and lovely and all things I find interesting. I am jealous of all you realistically prospective medics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for 2014 entry, Psychology. :smile:

I can see quite a few people with the same plans as me on here. Good luck!
I will be I think!

In love with the Geography with International Year MSci course :colondollar:
Human Biology :---)
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Me! I'm hoping to do Law :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by riya95
I'm planning on applying to law :smile:

If you guys end up realistically wanting to firm B'ham for law after the next few months of deciding send me an email as a law student starting in september I'll do what I can to help :smile:
Original post by Beth_Armitage
If you guys end up realistically wanting to firm B'ham for law after the next few months of deciding send me an email as a law student starting in september I'll do what I can to help :smile:

Omg thanks so much! If I do I will definitely email you lol need all the help I can get! Plus at some point do you mind reading my personal statement -need it read from a law students POV :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Planning to apply for Medicine, quite exciting :smile:
Omg thanks so much! If I do I will definitely email you lol need all the help I can get! Plus at some point do you mind reading my personal statement -need it read from a law students POV :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure, we got lots of pointers from people and teachers when I did mine so I'd like to think I know what makes a good one aha :smile: Can't wait to start law school & if you have any Q's about it as a course (once I've started of course then ask away) :smile: Btw for Birmingham you also need to do the LNAT (as many uni's require it) however this year many people with low scores like 17/18 still got in (despite the average being like 23/24), in fact as a uni they accepted numerous people with AAB and ABB despite the AAA offer and even for one guy BBB (thought this might be of interest to ya) :smile:
Yeah sure, we got lots of pointers from people and teachers when I did mine so I'd like to think I know what makes a good one aha :smile: Can't wait to start law school & if you have any Q's about it as a course (once I've started of course then ask away) :smile: Btw for Birmingham you also need to do the LNAT (as many uni's require it) however this year many people with low scores like 17/18 still got in (despite the average being like 23/24), in fact as a uni they accepted numerous people with AAB and ABB despite the AAA offer and even for one guy BBB (thought this might be of interest to ya) :smile:

Thanks so much! Definitely will do! Yeah that is of interest because I'm worried about my AS grades :s-smilie:

I got ABC (not including dropped AS) and hoping to be predicted AAB/ABB. Do you think Birmingham will still consider me? Would my personal statement have to be really strong? Also is the LNAT really difficult (worried about the essay lol) :confused:

Really want to go here lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much! Definitely will do! Yeah that is of interest because I'm worried about my AS grades :s-smilie:

I got ABC (not including dropped AS) and hoping to be predicted AAB/ABB. Do you think Birmingham will still consider me? Would my personal statement have to be really strong? Also is the LNAT really difficult (worried about the essay lol) :confused:

Really want to go here lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly do not worry too much about your AS grades as I am sheer proof that with hard work and determination you can achieve much better grades in your A levels. I got ABBC in my AS levels (which I was pretty dissapointed with) however achieved AAAB in my A levels (and a B in general studies but we do not include this.) The reason I did 4 is because my college made us or pick up an AS or do an extended project, none of which I liked the sound of. Plus my worst grade in AS (history with the C) I got an A for this year! (after resitting a paper I got B in AS then C in coursework but managed somewhow to get full UMS in my last exam!) So its a good thing I didn't drop it after all :smile:
This year having spoken to many would-be law students for this sep many of them were unable to achieve the AAA standards, as I've said there were numerous AAB's and a fair few ABB's (and thats just in a group with a third of the total law students), a few A*AB and even a guy with BBB. It just goes to show that with A levels getting harder (0.3% less A's this year than last yr) is making an impact, also that people with AAA are actually applying to 'more highly looked upon unis' like bristol, nottingham, london ones and even oxford only want AAA.
They will defo consider you and I'm 99% sure they'll give you an offer so I wouldn't worry much about that (many predicted AAB/even ABB were given offers of AAA)
I think personal statements do make a difference but as long as it is adequate and you emphasize exactly why you want to study law (stressing your passion for it etc) then you'll be fine :smile:
Nah oxbridge only want like 21/42 to be considered and as I've said some people at B'ham have been accepted with 16/17 (I personally got 24 but thats not the point) I don't think the essay makes a lot of difference personally (as mine was terrible with horrific spelling) but it's worth practicing for (I was lucky with a few sessions at college designed for those doing the LNAT, also if you want help/copies of info about this test then let me know)
Yeah if you want a look at my personal statement/want me to look at yours let me know :smile:
Sorry for the rambling aha and uber long message. Yeah can't wait to start, and its gone up in ranking for law this yr! You should see the freshers and law freshers stuff as well, looks amaze aha
Firstly do not worry too much about your AS grades as I am sheer proof that with hard work and determination you can achieve much better grades in your A levels. I got ABBC in my AS levels (which I was pretty dissapointed with) however achieved AAAB in my A levels (and a B in general studies but we do not include this.) The reason I did 4 is because my college made us or pick up an AS or do an extended project, none of which I liked the sound of. Plus my worst grade in AS (history with the C) I got an A for this year! (after resitting a paper I got B in AS then C in coursework but managed somewhow to get full UMS in my last exam!) So its a good thing I didn't drop it after all :smile:
This year having spoken to many would-be law students for this sep many of them were unable to achieve the AAA standards, as I've said there were numerous AAB's and a fair few ABB's (and thats just in a group with a third of the total law students), a few A*AB and even a guy with BBB. It just goes to show that with A levels getting harder (0.3% less A's this year than last yr) is making an impact, also that people with AAA are actually applying to 'more highly looked upon unis' like bristol, nottingham, london ones and even oxford only want AAA.
They will defo consider you and I'm 99% sure they'll give you an offer so I wouldn't worry much about that (many predicted AAB/even ABB were given offers of AAA)
I think personal statements do make a difference but as long as it is adequate and you emphasize exactly why you want to study law (stressing your passion for it etc) then you'll be fine :smile:
Nah oxbridge only want like 21/42 to be considered and as I've said some people at B'ham have been accepted with 16/17 (I personally got 24 but thats not the point) I don't think the essay makes a lot of difference personally (as mine was terrible with horrific spelling) but it's worth practicing for (I was lucky with a few sessions at college designed for those doing the LNAT, also if you want help/copies of info about this test then let me know)
Yeah if you want a look at my personal statement/want me to look at yours let me know :smile:
Sorry for the rambling aha and uber long message. Yeah can't wait to start, and its gone up in ranking for law this yr! You should see the freshers and law freshers stuff as well, looks amaze aha

Thanks so much for taking your time to write this honestly! You don't understand how reassuring it is to hear it from someone whos gone through the whole process! I'm nearly done with my personal statement which I'll message to you when I'm done and could I also see yours to see if I need further improvement?
I'll defo ask you for LNAT help I think nearer the time as I don't know too much about it yet.

I got an A in English lit&lang, B economics and a C in history (pretty bummed about tbh - b in one unit and C in the other). Is it worth retaking the unit I got a C in considering the fact I no longer have January exams?

Again thanks so much really appreciate you taking time to reply!! :smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much for taking your time to write this honestly! You don't understand how reassuring it is to hear it from someone whos gone through the whole process! I'm nearly done with my personal statement which I'll message to you when I'm done and could I also see yours to see if I need further improvement?
I'll defo ask you for LNAT help I think nearer the time as I don't know too much about it yet.

I got an A in English lit&lang, B economics and a C in history (pretty bummed about tbh - b in one unit and C in the other). Is it worth retaking the unit I got a C in considering the fact I no longer have January exams?

Again thanks so much really appreciate you taking time to reply!! :smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its ok, when I was applying I always wanted someone to answer my Q's and help me but to no prevail so I thought why not help others :smile:
Yeah the UCAS process seems to take forever (not as long as my current wait to uni which I am now bored of! aha but anyways...) Yeah message it me when you've done, I'll only be able to show you a clippet of mine as the whole worry of plagerism (I know you wouldn't but it may unsubconsciously inspire you or whatever) which could get you into deep trouble which we don't want aha)
Yeah you can do your LNAT in november or january I believe but I advice you do it in november as your more likley to get your offers quicker (from LNAT required uni's) if you do :smile: and I'll help you what I can but my advice for now is to practice your typing skills as you do it all on a computer.

Those are good results, obvs simular to my first year ones and look at me now (add a dash of luck and I'll be there in a few weeks) Erm I do feel really sorry for you guys not being able to resit in jan, total annoyance I'm sure (flipping michael gove has a lot to answer for) but anyways...part of me thinks resit it if you think your capable of getting a better grade (not just a few marks but up to a B say) as they do take your best grade so it doesn't matter if you didn't do as well say. Also I found that in several of my subjects I did better in the second year in resits as your essay skills/the way you write is just 'better' for the use of the word and you often build upon various topics in the 2nd year which gives you added knowledge. However if you think your going to be doing many, many exams then probs don't as you DO NOT want it to impact upon your other subjects. Talk it over with your teachers who I'm sure will help :smile:

Don't worry about it, as I said you have me for help for a few more weeks until I'm enveloped into the world of freshers before returning to tsr a bedrggled, hungover, hungry student :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest