The Student Room Group

Am I overreacting?

I've completely messed up my AS results, CDDE in Business, Maths, English, physics respectively. What hurt even more, is that fact that these results are completely alien to what I was predicted and what I was achieving in all of my exam prep. Being told first hand from my business teacher that I'm realistically looking at an A at the end of A2, and all of my past papers for other subjects suggesting the same, these results have ruined me. So much so I've got a meeting with the head of my year to discuss my options. I'm a hard worker don't get me wrong, and have worked my arse off for these exams.

What lurks in the back of my head is Uni offers, surely I'm screwed?!

So to the experts, the experienced and the people in the same boat as me, what the hell do I do? I could re-sit the year, or attempt to essentially complete all of my A level's in one year? At the moment it seems to me that my life is drawing to a close, and my corporate law degree is slipping away from me with great haste. PLEASE HELP!
Reply 1
Anyone, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i've just finished my A levels and i'll try to offer some advice! When it comes to As levels they really are a shock to the system, the work load and the step up is so much bigger from GCSE and sometimes this can be the reason for unexpected grades in the summer.
With my school people with grades lower than expected had two options, they could either resit the entire year, which did prove to be useful for some to pick grades up but hard to watch friends go after the year etc. Or they could convince their teachers to give predicted grades higher than achieved in As level, so perhaps your teachers could predict you a B and two C's rather than your CDD, if you were willing to resit maybe half the AS again and can prove you're a hard worker, which you sound like:smile:
My friend picked up from a C to an A by resitting the as level in her a2 year, the exams are spread out more than you would think as they are taken earlier but i wouldn't have fancied the work load.
Other than that consider resitting the entire year and try not to panic, look at the grades realistically and search for courses, like law, which match your grades, trust me there's loads of options, maybe even courses which you can then transfer to corporate law after (like PPE) have a look on the ucas site and sites which show courses at your grade levels and then decide :smile: hope this helped! You will find a way to do what you want! :biggrin:
Reply 3
In terms of business i am in the same predicament as you. I really don't know what to do, I was really expecting an A and I worked day and night for that exam and my others. Was in school all of study leave really don't know what else i could have done and now...i dunno. I'm going to carry on onto A2 but resit the other exams, work doubly hard and see if that helps. Really not sure. What annaisabel95's answer is pretty helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by annaisabel95
Hi, i've just finished my A levels and i'll try to offer some advice! When it comes to As levels they really are a shock to the system, the work load and the step up is so much bigger from GCSE and sometimes this can be the reason for unexpected grades in the summer.
With my school people with grades lower than expected had two options, they could either resit the entire year, which did prove to be useful for some to pick grades up but hard to watch friends go after the year etc. Or they could convince their teachers to give predicted grades higher than achieved in As level, so perhaps your teachers could predict you a B and two C's rather than your CDD, if you were willing to resit maybe half the AS again and can prove you're a hard worker, which you sound like:smile:
My friend picked up from a C to an A by resitting the as level in her a2 year, the exams are spread out more than you would think as they are taken earlier but i wouldn't have fancied the work load.
Other than that consider resitting the entire year and try not to panic, look at the grades realistically and search for courses, like law, which match your grades, trust me there's loads of options, maybe even courses which you can then transfer to corporate law after (like PPE) have a look on the ucas site and sites which show courses at your grade levels and then decide :smile: hope this helped! You will find a way to do what you want! :biggrin:

First off, thanks for the reply, I will take note of what you have said.

The thing with my results is I was predicted solid ABBB with my AS results, and my teachers (those who I have spoken too) are baffled at my results.

I had my heart set on one course which was tailored to my specifics and meant that my future 3rd party scholarship plans could go ahead.

Do you think it would be possible to hack 7As exams and 7A2 exams in one exam season?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm pleased it helped! For considering A2 levels and As levels in the same year it really is up to you, it will require a lot of work but if you're good at independent work and another year worth of learning and experience will help you with the As resit it should be able to be done, i'm not sure if this would work for more than one or two As resits as the step up is quite big for A level and the work does become heavy going.

Try to decide if you think that working on both in the same year may take away time you could have spent on A2. What you might find is resitting the entire year, as in going back into year 12 again, and taking more time to do your a levels makes it easier, i found a good set of AS results really took the pressure off in A2 as they would helped if you didn't hit your A2 targets in keeping your grade up (for example if you got two A's in As modules you could afford to miss an A in an A2 module and potentially keep an A anyways). Unless you are applying to oxbridge you should find resitting the year should be ok, but do ask your teachers:smile:

Also see if you can just resit one module in a subject rather than the whole thing so its not like doing the whole thing all over again! :smile:

If you have a goal and a dream course keep aiming for it but do work to find a back up plan as well which can eventually lead to what you want to do, it'll take the pressure off too and could lead to less disappointment :smile:

Really try not to worry, there's always something you can do to change something and you sound like a hard worker!
If your teachers really are baffled have you considered remarking or some sort of investigation? at my school work was requested back :smile: Also think about how you revised for your as levels and try to find a way that really works, for me, at As i got a C in one of my exams because i thought i'd learned the information when really i'd just read it, by forcing myself to learn revision cards off by heart and testing myself constantly i found a more effective way in my resit (and trust me i hate revision cards but they did work!)

Hope this helps again!
Reply 6
I have a meeting with my head of sixth because they want to know what's going on, they know its not my work ethic because my marks throughout the year tell me it's not.

I have been told to recall my business papers as they were the most inaccurate in comparison to my predictions, as well as both of my physics modules. They will be going off for a re-mark. My maths teacher insists the department will buy back both my C1 and C2 scripts, as I performed as expected in S1, with a solid B.

Thanks for your help, I'm really in two minds about re sitting the year, because it would be a bit dodgy when all of my friends are moving on, I will be there another year. But aswell that's a good thing, no distractions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arazamataz
I've completely messed up my AS results, CDDE in Business, Maths, English, physics respectively. What hurt even more, is that fact that these results are completely alien to what I was predicted and what I was achieving in all of my exam prep. Being told first hand from my business teacher that I'm realistically looking at an A at the end of A2, and all of my past papers for other subjects suggesting the same, these results have ruined me. So much so I've got a meeting with the head of my year to discuss my options. I'm a hard worker don't get me wrong, and have worked my arse off for these exams.

What lurks in the back of my head is Uni offers, surely I'm screwed?!

So to the experts, the experienced and the people in the same boat as me, what the hell do I do? I could re-sit the year, or attempt to essentially complete all of my A level's in one year? At the moment it seems to me that my life is drawing to a close, and my corporate law degree is slipping away from me with great haste. PLEASE HELP!

Don't worry too much! I remember after I sat my first exams I came out with DDE, I came out with BCD (which should have been ABC had I not had a terrible summer) and still have a place in uni, just motivate yourself, everyone always seems to do better in their second year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending