The Student Room Group

I have a verbal offer that is confirmed by email

I have an offer that through clearing however when I go to make a choice on ucas track I can't there is no option for the course I want to do. They said they are going to keep my place till 12:00pm on the 17th August.

Why can't I add my choice?
Reply 1
Anyone? If they give me a verbal offer. They are bound to honour it aren't they?
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
Anyone? If they give me a verbal offer. They are bound to honour it aren't they?

Not technically, although they should unless you break their deadline or something along those lines.

Probably stupid question: are you actually in Clearing officially?
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose
Not technically, although they should unless you break their deadline or something along those lines.

Probably stupid question: are you actually in Clearing officially?

I haven't broken the deadline.

Yes I'm officially in clearing. I didn't have offers (well I did but they were all turned down it's complicated) so I knew I was going to be in clearing.

I rang up a few universities and I got a phone interview passed it and they gave me a verbal offer and confirmed it via email. They said they will reserve me a place until 17th August 12:00pm which is tomorrow afternoon. This was yesterday. I have just logged on to ucas track after discussing my option with a friend to add it but it's not there.
I haven't broken the deadline.

Yes I'm officially in clearing. I didn't have offers (well I did but they were all turned down it's complicated) so I knew I was going to be in clearing.

I rang up a few universities and I got a phone interview passed it and they gave me a verbal offer and confirmed it via email. They said they will reserve me a place until 17th August 12:00pm which is tomorrow afternoon. This was yesterday. I have just logged on to ucas track after discussing my option with a friend to add it but it's not there.

That does seem odd... They should honour it, that isn't the problem. You need to phone UCAS as early as you can tomorrow to find out why you're unable to add a Clearing choice when you should be able to; following that, contact the university and tell them you do wish to accept the offer but you're suffering a Track glitch preventing you.
Reply 5
Ring them up tomorrow early and explain your situation. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by TheSownRose
That does seem odd... They should honour it, that isn't the problem. You need to phone UCAS as early as you can tomorrow to find out why you're unable to add a Clearing choice when you should be able to; following that, contact the university and tell them you do wish to accept the offer but you're suffering a Track glitch preventing you.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Do you know what time the lines open tomorrow for UCAS?
Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Do you know what time the lines open tomorrow for UCAS?

http://www.ucas.com/about-us/contact-us

They'll be open from 9am.

Yes they are if whatever information you gave them is correct, which i'm sure is the case. If you have the persons name and number or email get in touch with them again or alternatively contact UCAS and explain the problem to them, failing that if your college has an advisor try them. These problems occur every year so someone with experience will sort you out ,well done getting a place ..hope in a day or so you feel able to relax
Reply 9
Original post by BrainDrain
Yes they are if whatever information you gave them is correct, which i'm sure is the case. If you have the persons name and number or email get in touch with them again or alternatively contact UCAS and explain the problem to them, failing that if your college has an advisor try them. These problems occur every year so someone with experience will sort you out ,well done getting a place ..hope in a day or so you feel able to relax

I have an email contact on the email they sent. I'm going to just send an email now and then ring up first think tomorrow.
I have an offer that through clearing however when I go to make a choice on ucas track I can't there is no option for the course I want to do. They said they are going to keep my place till 12:00pm on the 17th August.

Get a friend over to sit at your computer. Log yourself in and then let him try to select the course without you telling him what to do. Let him discover what to do from the website. That way, if you have been making some stupid mistake, he shouldn't repeat it.

If he agrees with you that he can't do it, send an email to the university within the time limit clearly accepting the offer. Explain the problem clearly and send screen shots of what you can see on UCAS.

Do that even if you manage to speak to someone at the university or UCAS over the weekend who says they will get someone to look into it on Monday. Make sure that you have an email unequivocal acceptance with the university before the deadline.

You may have to have a row with the university and if you have to deploy nuclear weapons (your headmaster, the local MP) it is of vital importance that they have documentary evidence of the position.
Original post by nulli tertius
Get a friend over to sit at your computer. Log yourself in and then let him try to select the course without you telling him what to do. Let him discover what to do from the website. That way, if you have been making some stupid mistake, he shouldn't repeat it.

If he agrees with you that he can't do it, send an email to the university within the time limit clearly accepting the offer. Explain the problem clearly and send screen shots of what you can see on UCAS.

Do that even if you manage to speak to someone at the university or UCAS over the weekend who says they will get someone to look into it on Monday. Make sure that you have an email unequivocal acceptance with the university before the deadline.

You may have to have a row with the university and if you have to deploy nuclear weapons (your headmaster, the local MP) it is of vital importance that they have documentary evidence of the position.

Just got my sister to do it's not just me.

I've sent an email to the uni explaining my situation and provided screenshots too.

I've also contacted UCAS about it via their website.

I receive automated replys saying if it is about clearing I should ring but at least I've sent the email and have evidence of it being sent now.
Just got my sister to do it's not just me.

I've sent an email to the uni explaining my situation and provided screenshots too.

I've also contacted UCAS about it via their website.

I receive automated replys saying if it is about clearing I should ring but at least I've sent the email and have evidence of it being sent now.

Good stuff. Nulli's advice is never wrong.
Reply 13

If it is confirmed by EMAIL and you have meet all the requirement and deadline they definitely should honour it as it is already on the paper (email). Contact them ASAP if still no update on UCAS, if the Uni doesn't work on Weekend then give them a ring first thing in the morning on Monday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending