The Student Room Group

Msc Occupational Therapy (pre-reg) applicants 2014 entry

Hi All,

Similarly to last year I thought it might be useful to get a thread going for us Msc pre reg OT applicants hoping to gain a place for the 2014 cohort.

It would be great to get to know others, share our trials and tribulations and generally have a place to support one another.

Good luck in your applications and looking forward to hearing about your journeys!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Marley87!
Thank you for getting the thread going. Hopefully we can be helpful to each over over the next few months. :ahee:

Im currently studying a bachelors im Leeds. So im based there for the time being. Im really hoping to apply at London South Bank and Brunel. Its a little daunting due to the lack of NHS funded places.

How about yourself. Do you have much experience I've found it really difficult finding any? Where do you want to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hey femgeek!

I've been waiting for this moment since January and I have been regularly gate crashing the 2013 hopefuls thread. Hopefully others will join us soon.

I'm pretty sure I read on the lsbu and the Brunel website that they match their intake with the amount of bursaries they have.
Which is helpful, although I share you concern in that the bursaries; therefore places are limited.

What are you studying your degree in?

I'm a bit older now, 26 on Monday so my previous experience involves working with adolescents teaching the arts in schools, more specifically with teenagers who require support from CAMHS.

I now work as an OT assistant at NHS psychiatric unit and as a community support worker, for people who have left secure mental health/forensic units, living in supported accommodations.

As you can see mental health is my interest. However I've shadowed in a hand therapy unit, and I'm about to start assisting on a OT lead / arts lead production on a medium secure unit. Very exciting - hoping I have enough experience to get in.

How about you femgeek?

X
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Same ive previously gatecrashed a few threads. Had no luck unfortunately :dontknow:
I'm 20 years old graduating around June in Religious Studies. I have shadowing experience in physiotherapy and occupational therapy. I also had a chance in the hand therapy department which was awesome. I'm also interested in mental health however finding very difficult gaining further experience in the related areas unfortunately.

I have been involved in charity work.Also worked with primary schools organising inter school activities. I have a sports leadership certificate. Qualified in First Aid.

Not sure how much experience a typical candidate goes in with. Do you know any chance? But im still looking for further opportunities but a little lost at the moment.

Can I ask what area you are from? xx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
It sounds like you have a wealth of experience to offer and from
What I understand people have gained a place with little OT experience. However shadowing of some sort seems to be a requirement for some of the universities so we are half way there!

Yes we have some time, so considering all options sounds like a great plan. Are you also interested in physio?

Gaining more experience around mental health might be an idea if you have time and interested. How about volunteering with your local victim support or Samaritan centre?

I am from Northamptonshire ,
I have spent the last several years in London however I am back in my home town now.

Where abouts are you from?x
Reply 5
I hope so! fingers crossed we do get there eventually lol.

Yep we have a couple of months spare to tie over loose ends. When are you planning on putting your applications through?. I thought i'd wait till the middle of October and try get more experience. Im from Peterborough. So close to where you are I guess.

I was torn between physio and OT but tbh the only reason I ended up gaining experience in the department is because the hospital did a two day shadowing which included both. I was told this is because in the hospital OTs and Physios work closely. I met some lovely people there to be honest. Was a great experience.

Thank you for the suggestion I think I will definitely try to contact them. But its a little difficult at the moment as im due back at uni and its my final year so it should be challenging :smile:x

Also are you looking for a NHS funded spot. I understand that they pay off your tuition but do you have any idea how much maximum bursary is available . I was told student finance help towards student finance I don't know how correct that is. I think i should give them a call. Its a little confusing over email. X
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
If you google Nhs student bursaries, there is a phone number you can call they will give you all the information regarding the Nhs bursaries.

As far as I'm away most of the course only take on the amount of students in relation to how many bursaries they have. So if you get a place you will receive the tuition fees funding at least. The Nhs student bursary helpline will give you information regarding other elements/funding you are entitled to.

It can be confusing as there is a lot of information out there.

Ill be putting in my applications towards the end of September, early October.

Are you thinking of commuting or will you be moving to your chosen university area?

Ill be commuting as I have a family.

Good luck :smile: xx
Reply 7
Hello :smile:
I am also applying for Msc Occupational Therapy for 2014. I applied last year but made the terrible mistake of only applying to one university. Learned my lesson and will hopefully get a place next year. I was just wondering, as I am from Ireland, are there a couple of universities in the U.K. that are well regarded in the OT sector? Or does it matter where you study?
:smile:
Reply 8
Hi Megan,

I get the feeling that their isn't a specific uni that is highly regarded, but employees etc regard experience more so. I've asked the question many times, and also debated around the idea of doing a second degree in OT as the Bsc route would probably fit in better with my personal circumstances.

Where did you apply to last year? X
Reply 9
Hello Megan 03, I'm sorry that you didn't receive a place last year. But I guess it could be an advantage in knowing what to expect in the interviews and application process. Where did you apply?

Marley87, sorry for the delayed reply. I'm hopefully looking to moving in to the area if the bursary allow it. However commuting is a possibility which I'm not to keen on lol :smile:

Does anyone know when the application dates start. I was told september but not the exact date. I believe it varies from university to university xxx
Reply 10
Hi Guys,

I am from Milton Keynes. I am quite surprised how early you are all applying! Do you have any idea of the dates of the interviews? I want to do a tefl in Mexico after xmas but not sure if I can because of the interview times. I know I could ring up by just thought I'd ask you just in case you know. x
Reply 11
Yes totally understand your feelings regarding commuting! I wish I was able to move my family, but it wouldn't be viable.

Not to sure about the interview dates. I'd imagine after the application process closes, or they receive their quota of applications. I read on the board for last years intake that people were having interviews January onwards.

X
Reply 12
Purds your not far from me at all- I'm in Northamptonshire :smile:
Reply 13
I live in Olney so very close! I used to work in Northampton at St Andrews. I have just got 2 interview offers though for OTA positions one at St Andrews and one in Cambridge. Which NHS hospital do you work at?
Reply 14
Hi purds ill PM you!
Reply 15
Hiya,

I am 24. My experience so far is working for a year in a registered home as a support worker supporting people with learning disabilities.

I start a new job next month as a mental health support worker in a CAMHS hospital..

I am undecided atm whether to do OT or MHN at uni.

Does anyone know if you recieve a bursary as well as tuition fees paid for for the Msc course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi everyone! I live in lincolnshire and have applied to Sheffield hallam for the msc occupational therapy starting in January... Has anyone else applied there? I applied in June and haven't heard anything yet, is that normal?! Good luck with all your applications :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi Eclancy,

I also applied to Sheffield Hallam starting Jan 2014 and been invited to a 'selection event' in a few weeks- maybe give the admissions department a ring, Rebecca Downing is the person dealing with MSc Occupational Therapy and she is very helpful.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi there, I am new to the forums. But hey I am applying for the masters OT 2014 course at Brighton uni, for the February intake. It'll be great to meet others too and discuss the application process, share experiences!
Reply 19
Original post by Eliza99
Hi there, I am new to the forums. But hey I am applying for the masters OT 2014 course at Brighton uni, for the February intake. It'll be great to meet others too and discuss the application process, share experiences!

Hi there :-)

I was thinking of Brighton but don't think I have enough experience. What experience did you have for applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending