The Student Room Group

Can I get an A overall if I got a C in AS?

Hi there, I got ACC in my results for my AS levels, at university I'll need AAA for my course but by next year, if I do really well in A2's is there any chance that they can go from C's to A's? I got 121 marks in one C and 136 in the other C. In my A I got 162 marks. I think that they are USM marks but I'm unsure. What is the minimum USM marks for an A at A2? and is it possible for me to get my 2 C's up to As? :s-smilie: Thanks for reading! please help me out if you can :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by joshhasnoidea
Hi there, I got ACC in my results for my AS levels, at university I'll need AAA for my course but by next year, if I do really well in A2's is there any chance that they can go from C's to A's? I got 121 marks in one C and 136 in the other C. In my A I got 162 marks. I think that they are USM marks but I'm unsure. What is the minimum USM marks for an A at A2? and is it possible for me to get my 2 C's up to As? :s-smilie: Thanks for reading! please help me out if you can :smile:

You need 320 UMS / 400 to get an A (80*4)

Therefore 200(100% A2)+121= 321

Yes you will scrape an A assuming no retakes, But you might as well retake, as you would miss an A* if this somehow happened.
Reply 2
With resits, yes. I got a D in AS Biology, resat all AS units in summer and came out with a B at A2 (not an A, but literally 2 UMS off an A... :/ ... Might chance my arm at a remark...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Jkizer

Yes you will scrape an A assuming no retakes, But you might as well retake, as you would miss an A* if this somehow happened.

He would have an 80% +UMS overall and 90%+ UMS in A2 so He would achieve an A* and wouldn't miss out:confused:

To answer OP's original question it is impossible to get a C at AS and get an A at the end of A2 because to achieve an A you would need UMS above 90% thus giving you an A*.
Yes you can with retakes and also hard work next year, good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Dalek1099
He would have an 80% +UMS overall and 90%+ UMS in A2 so He would achieve an A* and wouldn't miss out:confused:

To answer OP's original question it is impossible to get a C at AS and get an A at the end of A2 because to achieve an A you would need UMS above 90% thus giving you an A*.

To get an A, you need 320 UMS out of 400 which is mathematically possible as a C is minimum 120.

A* requires an A overall at AS & 90% average at A2
It's definitely possible, I got a C in one of my subjects too, but my teachers are sticking by their A/A* prediction for A2 because through resits, you'll definitely be able to bring your grade up. The resits would be in May, so the workload of revising for resits and for your A2 exams that will follow in June is definitely manageable.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Jkizer

That is incorrect, it is 80% overall and 90% at A2 required. Source: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf
Reply 8

With retakes there's no reason why you couldn't
Reply 9
Hmmm it's difficult, unfortunately for you there are no January exams, i'm not sure how the exam system works next year but could you explain so i could get a better insight? I got a C in my first year in one of my subjects and ended up achieving an A* in the second year (325 UMS was hoping for an A*). It's definitely possible just make sure you're prepared

*with retakes of course, without you will struggle and probably have to achieve 90% or more
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
with retakes and good grades at a2 you can. however since you got acc i'm guessing it will be very difficult for you and you should be prepared
OP: no you can't, if you got a B it could be possible if you got a really high A in A Level. But you'll have to retake, that's what I did and I came out with A*A*B. good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Idle
That is incorrect, it is 80% overall and 90% at A2 required. Source: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf

Yes an A is 80%. I meant to say you can scrape an A at AS and still get an A* if your average is 90% at A2
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
To get an A, you need 320 UMS out of 400 which is mathematically possible as a C is minimum 120.

A* requires an A overall in AS+A2 plus 90% average at A2- I think this is where you are slipping up.To get 320/400 UMS he would need an average of at least 90% at A2 thus giving him an A* and this means it is impossible to get an A at A-Level if you get a C at AS but it is still possible to get an A*.
Reply 14
Original post by Dalek1099
A* requires an A overall in AS+A2 plus 90% average at A2- I think this is where you are slipping up.To get 320/400 UMS he would need an average of at least 90% at A2 thus giving him an A* and this means it is impossible to get an A at A-Level if you get a C at AS but it is still possible to get an A*.

My bad. But i only mentioned he would miss an A* if he somehow pulled 100% in A2. I say this because many subjects overlap the AS content, and if you can get 90% in A2.... your ideally looking at 80% at least in AS surely on retakes, assuming the exams overlap in some way.
Reply 15

You would need 199/200 UMS at A2, to score an A. As this would also be >90% at A2 You in fact cannot get an A but you CAN get an A*. Kinda odd right? :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Jkizer

Alright cool, cheers buddy! and yeah if I'm allowed to retake I'll definitely do it! thanks for the help
Reply 17
Original post by megantrace
It's definitely possible, I got a C in one of my subjects too, but my teachers are sticking by their A/A* prediction for A2 because through resits, you'll definitely be able to bring your grade up. The resits would be in May, so the workload of revising for resits and for your A2 exams that will follow in June is definitely manageable.

Good luck!

that's cool :tongue: cheers! hopefully you get your predicted grade too!
Reply 18
Original post by ih094
Hmmm it's difficult, unfortunately for you there are no January exams, i'm not sure how the exam system works next year but could you explain so i could get a better insight? I got a C in my first year in one of my subjects and ended up achieving an A in the second year (325 UMS was hoping for an A*). It's definitely possible just make sure you're prepared

Wow that's a big jump, did you retake? :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Kinky Slinky
OP: no you can't, if you got a B it could be possible if you got a really high A in A Level. But you'll have to retake, that's what I did and I came out with A*A*B. good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

cool, I just hope I do the same! im also hoping that I can do a retake too :s-smilie: haha

Quick Reply

Latest