The Student Room Group

Depressed from clearing/dilemma

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
The partner in the next office had a son at university before he qualified as a solicitor. The one in the office beyond that has no degree. The solicitor two doors away in the opposite direction had kids doing GCSEs when he qualified. One of my partners at the other side of the building has an Ivy League education; one on the floor below has a degree, which to call it Mickey Mouse, would be insulting to Walt Disney.

And we have trainee solicitors from both UCL and Sheffield.

And doing that will cost you big time.
The partner in the next office had a son at university before he qualified as a solicitor. The one in the office beyond that has no degree. The solicitor two doors away in the opposite direction had kids doing GCSEs when he qualified. One of my partners at the other side of the building has an Ivy League education; one on the floor below has a degree, which to call it Mickey Mouse, would be insulting to Walt Disney.

I want to apply to your firm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PotterLaw
I want to apply to your firm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't that unusual. At 20-21 it looks as though there is a single path to a legal career but not everybody can take the royal road and talented people get there by all manner of byways. In a firm of a reasonable size, there will be lawyers with many different backgrounds.

Just to add to that, who are the Freshfields trainees who get in without a 2:1? Don't believe me? It is there on their website.

http://www.freshfields.com/en/united_kingdom/careers/trainees/FAQ/#2

As for a training contract, there is something you might want to think about. We, and we are not the only ones, are seriously looking at recruiting trainees solely from our paralegals and only recruiting paralegals. If we do that, we probably will not care too much about whether they have done the LPC or whether they do it part-time while working for us.
(edited 10 years ago)
It isn't that unusual. At 20-21 it looks as though there is a single path to a legal career but not everybody can take the royal road and talented people get there by all manner of byways. In a firm of a reasonable size, there will be lawyers with many different backgrounds.

Just to add to that, who are the Freshfields trainees who get in without a 2:1? Don't believe me? It is there on their website.

As for a training contract, there is something you might want to think about. We, and we are not the only ones, are seriously looking at recruiting trainees solely from our paralegals and only recruiting paralegals. If we do that, we probably will not care too much about whether they have done the LPC or whether they do it part-time while working for us.

Have you thought of making a sticky for the Law forum? (Or maybe you have already. I haven't looked- not my area.) It'd be really helpful.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Have you thought of making a sticky for the Law forum? (Or maybe you have already. I haven't looked- not my area.) It'd be really helpful.

Maybe one day :smile:

Doing this is a relief from what I am supposed to be doing. Doing a sticky feels like something on a "to do" list.

Hahaha thanks for putting it perspective! Good to know you take trainees from Sheffield too! I'm looking forward to going there now after this whole adjustment fiasco. What firm are you at if you don't mind me asking?
Maybe one day :smile:

Doing this is a relief from what I am supposed to be doing. Doing a sticky feels like something on a "to do" list.

Yes, know what you mean. I don't know why doing this is so much more interesting than doing it in real life. Perhaps because I'm lucky enough to be at a school where things mainly run smoothly and there's not the same scope to help.
Original post by i-love-coffee
Hahaha thanks for putting it perspective! Good to know you take trainees from Sheffield too! I'm looking forward to going there now after this whole adjustment fiasco. What firm are you at if you don't mind me asking?

I refer to too many real people for that!
I refer to too many real people for that!

Haha I suspected so. Magic circle?
Original post by i-love-coffee
Haha I suspected so. Magic circle?

No; a provincial firm of substantial size.

I think that's refreshing. The legal landscape is changing so much & I feel that firms should be looking at people with more practical experience (commercial and legal) before they commit to starting them on a TC.

I have been applying to firms where everyone is bit different - for this reason I've been applying outside the giant commercial sector - although will definitely have a look at freshfields more closely if I am unsuccessful in getting a TC this year.

Thanks for the info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending