The Student Room Group

Any point applying to uni's that ask normally ask for AAA if I get predicted AAB?

I have been predicted AAB so far, if I did well in my AS's come august 17, the school will make my predicted grades higher.

Should I bother to apply for

Warwick
Nottingham
UCL

as they all normally say they want AAA? Plus I heard I needed to have had at least 6a* at GCSEs and I only got 3a* the rest a's?

Please help me, Im so confused!!!!
Thank you!
Reply 1
I would like this question answered as well - sort of applies to me.

I did get 6 A*s though, where did you hear this requirement though?
Reply 2
6A*s?!?!?! WTF...people make up these rumours just to make their offer seem even more impressive. I had 2A*'s at GCSE and got an offer from Nottingham.

Try and get your predicted grades up to 3As. Im sure if your tutors knew how much this meant to you they would predict you higher. But if they definitely wont predict you 3As then, to be honest, I dont see much point in you applying to unis with a standard offer of 3As.
Reply 3
A lawyer who came to give a talk on law said that 6a*s is what most candidates have. I guess everyone says different things!

The subject I was predicted B in was maths, and I hope I got an A in the AS but I found the mechanics paper difficult. I dont know!
I guess I will have to work really hard these next few weeks.
Reply 4
anon1763
A lawyer who came to give a talk on law said that 6a*s is what most candidates have. I guess everyone says different things!

The subject I was predicted B in was maths, and I hope I got an A in the AS but I found the mechanics paper difficult. I dont know!
I guess I will have to work really hard these next few weeks.

Well maybe most candidates (over 50%) will have 6A*s, but there will still be LOADS who will have much less.
Yeah, just work as hard as you can these last weeks and hopefully it will pay off if your tutors push your predicted grades up.
Reply 5
Id say its definitely worth a go! I know many people who applied with lesser grade requirements than the uni dmemanded but still got offers and sum1 on tsr got an offer from SOAS for AAA with predictions of ABB. I think it just shows the importance of writing a good personal statement and selling yourself adequately! I am also predicted ABB and got an offer from Warwick, admittedly its the Law and Business Studies course but the reuqirements for that is still AAB which is higher than my predictions. As for GCSEs, I dnt think they matter all so much for instance i only got 1 A*,6 As and 2 Bs. Its not bad but its not great. But i think most universities will appreciate that students lack a degree of foresight at that age and sometimes dnt perform as well as they really should do.
Reply 6
anon1763
I have been predicted AAB so far, if I did well in my AS's come august 17, the school will make my predicted grades higher.

Should I bother to apply for

Warwick
Nottingham
UCL

as they all normally say they want AAA? Plus I heard I needed to have had at least 6a* at GCSEs and I only got 3a* the rest a's?

Please help me, Im so confused!!!!
Thank you!

Those unis only have high offers like that because they're so competetive so you should try because they might really like your application. My friend had a higher offer from Nottingham than I had for Cambridge because her course was so popular.

6A*s? That's such rubbish- I doubt most people in Oxbridge have that. Go for it, your grades are fine.
Reply 7
I got predicted AAB for UCAS and got into Cardiff (AAA). I'd say go for it!
Reply 8
Go for it... predictions are often wrong, so why settle for a less reputed university and then kick yourself when you get AAA?

Also, Im pretty sure that only Manchester ever implements the 6 A* thing. And that's probably just due to the fact that it's so huge and so many international applicants.
Reply 9
I honestly wouldn't bother applying to Manchester with predictions of less than AAA. I applied with predictions of A, A, A and A/B and got rejected on that basis [they told me so], also they said I didn't meet their GCSE A* requirements, when I did. Furthermore, one of my best friends had 5 A*'s and got an offer within a month of applying.
Reply 10
I applied some places who asked AAA with grades of ABB at AS and got offers off AAB from both, if u gotta lot of extra curicular stuff they like that and lower their required grades, it also depends what subjects u do so id say give it a shot!!
Reply 11
lse is the only place i heard of who said 6*. I havent heard of any other uni, inclduing oxbridgem saying that is a requirement.
Secondly, why not go for it, but the AAB prediciton will count against u. Cant u ask ur school if theyll predict u AAA, i know it sounds stupid but its possible. I assume that uve done ur as's and are going onto A2's in which case if u get A's and B's, the school will porbs predict u all A's
yea just apply make sure you have some lower offer places as back up. its always good to be ambitious you got nothign to lose and 6 places to apply to!
go for it! For your info i got an offer of AAB form Notts. If you don't apply you will be wondering 'what if I've applied' for the rest of your life and regret it.

Latest

Trending

Trending