The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by cat-lover
If the ones you're interested in don't have an AS requirement given your circumstances, then you're fine. :smile: Did you ask them about Further Maths? It should count towards your offer. What they normally mean by not accepting both is that you don't meet the entry requirements if you get AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Further Maths and Maths are viewed as the same subject just like Sports Science and Biology tend to be by some universities. AAA in Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology should be alright. If you're really worried you can pick up Psychology like you said. This will also increase your tariff points and put you in a better position for Barts.

Yeah that's what I thought

Here's Imperial's reply:
"Provided you are sitting 3 new A Levels in year 13 (ie, not ones taken and completed over years 11 and 12) then you will be considered for the medical programme. Our normal offer for applicants offering 4 A2 levels is AAAC.
As you have achieved an A in A2 maths you will need to offer AAC in your 3 A2 levels sat in year 13"

I specifically asked them about the Further Maths, and they confirmed it's not a problem. I just hope the rest of the unis reply with the same conditions.
Original post by TheAsian
Yeah that's what I thought

Here's Imperial's reply:
"Provided you are sitting 3 new A Levels in year 13 (ie, not ones taken and completed over years 11 and 12) then you will be considered for the medical programme. Our normal offer for applicants offering 4 A2 levels is AAAC.
As you have achieved an A in A2 maths you will need to offer AAC in your 3 A2 levels sat in year 13"

I specifically asked them about the Further Maths, and they confirmed it's not a problem. I just hope the rest of the unis reply with the same conditions.

That's really good, hopefully all of them will tell you the same thing. :smile:
Reply 102
Is it 900 based on your subjects alone or a lot of other qualifications? Because that is crazy high. :eek: And the only cut-off is 2400 total score (so 600 average). With a UCAS tariff of 900, it'd make up for a lower UKCAT score. From last year's stats, 700 tariff points was enough to get an interview with a UKCAT score of 600. What is your UKCAT score if you've already sat it?

900 is including an A level, AS and piano grade taken before this year:smile: My ukcat was 687.5, but I have been told that the internal Ukcat cut-off last year was 680, so I'm worried about the cut-off for this year.
Original post by mli26
900 is including an A level, AS and piano grade taken before this year:smile: My ukcat was 687.5, but I have been told that the internal Ukcat cut-off last year was 680, so I'm worried about the cut-off for this year.

900 is amazing, wow, you must've been predicted 5A*s at A2? Cut-off is 600 for UKCAT
Original post by mli26

Where did you hear that? Their website says the cut-off is 600. With tariff points of 900, you can get away with getting 600 very easily. If you calculated your UCAS points correctly, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Barts. :smile:
What are combined UCAS tariffs + UKCAT scores looking like for you guys applying to Barts?
Reply 106
Where did you hear that? Their website says the cut-off is 600. With tariff points of 900, you can get away with getting 600 very easily. If you calculated your UCAS points correctly, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Barts. :smile:

That sounds reassuring, but I was told by a current barts student at the open day that they have another internal cut-off after they receive all the applications over 600 to decide which students get the interviews.:confused::confused:
Original post by mli26
That sounds reassuring, but I was told by a current barts student at the open day that they have another internal cut-off after they receive all the applications over 600 to decide which students get the interviews.:confused::confused:

Hmmm, that is a little worrying. I'd apply anyway if I was in your position because I'm pretty sure your tariff points might give you an advantage. Maybe the internal cut-off is just the UKCAT score that depends on your tariff points and this student happened to need 680? I think I'm gonna email them now. Hopefully they can shed some light on this situation.
Reply 108
Original post by Sapien
I've got 4As at AS level, all four of which i am taking to A2 level. I presume i am getting 4 A* predictions so would that mean i get a total of
560? Would that be suffice to outweigh a UKCAT of 692.5?

From last year's statistics that looks enough for an interview. However, you never know what the competition will be like this year :/
Reply 109
Anyone know what the UKCAT cut-off for graduate entry was last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Original post by DrWally
Anyone know what the UKCAT cut-off for graduate entry was last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf
Reply 111
wondering if I stand a chance of an interview at barts with A*AAA predictions and an additional b at AS with a UKCAT of 743? do barts look at the individual section scores? I got 530,640,900,900 so really worried about the 530 in VR :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
wondering if I stand a chance of an interview at barts with A*AAA predictions and an additional b at AS with a UKCAT of 743? do barts look at the individual section scores? I got 530,640,900,900 so really worried about the 530 in VR :/

Barts only look at the overall UKCAT score for the cognitive section, not the individual subtest scores, so don't worry.

Your UCAS tariff is good, think it works out to be 550, and combined with your UKCAT score I think you stand a very good chance.
hey guys just wondering if I stand a chance of an interview at barts with A*AAA predictions and an additional b at AS with a UKCAT of 743? do barts look at the individual section scores? I got 530,640,900,900 so really worried about the 530 in VR :/ Also are the UCAS tariff points based on AS or predicted A2s?? If I got AAABB at AS and i'm predicted A*AAA how many points is that? Do you add the points for the B at AS to the 500 from the predicted A2s?
Reply 115
Hi
I am currently on a BSc course due to finish next year and im thinking to apply to the 5 year course .
I got AAAd in 3 A levels and 1 AS and that works out to be 420 ucas points . Will that be enough to apply to Barts. Also I got 745 average UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrumChops
Barts only look at the overall UKCAT score for the cognitive section, not the individual subtest scores, so don't worry.

Your UCAS tariff is good, think it works out to be 550, and combined with your UKCAT score I think you stand a very good chance.

ohh right so is the tariff calculated on predicted A2s and additional AS? would I get an interview with 550 points and 743 in my ukcat? do they look at anything else when deciding interviews?
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
ohh right so is the tariff calculated on predicted A2s and additional AS? would I get an interview with 550 points and 743 in my ukcat? do they look at anything else when deciding interviews?

At the open day, I spoke directly to the head of admissions who said that selection for interview is based 50% on UKCAT score and 50% on UCAS tariff (yes - predicted A2s and additional AS); nothing else is looked at. I think you do have a chance, as you've got a very strong UKCAT score and your tariff is similar to what it would be if someone got prediction A*A*A*A* (= 560), which of course is competitive enough. If I were you I'd be confident enough to apply, no doubt.

The personal statement is only looked at during the interview :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DrumChops
At the open day, I spoke directly to the head of admissions who said that selection for interview is based 50% on UKCAT score and 50% on UCAS tariff (yes - predicted A2s and additional AS); nothing else is looked at. I think you do have a chance, as you've got a very strong UKCAT score and your tariff is similar to what it would be if someone got prediction A*A*A*A* (= 560), which of course is competitive enough. If I were you I'd be confident enough to apply, no doubt.

The personal statement is only looked at during the interview :smile:

Hi I was wondering whether you could advise me as well, I applied last year with 520 tariff and 620 ukcat and was rejected but this year I have 540 UCAS tariff and 740 ukcat but I'm worried that the tariff will let me down. :frown:
Original post by raveen789
Hi I was wondering whether you could advise me as well, I applied last year with 520 tariff and 620 ukcat and was rejected but this year I have 540 UCAS tariff and 740 ukcat but I'm worried that the tariff will let me down. :frown:

Same applies with you I reckon. You're better than some of the mid-range applicants accepted to interview last year (mid range example last year is tariff: 520 ukcat: 690), but of course anything could change this year - there could be many applicants with strong tariff and ukcat combinations, and I'm not one to tell, but I still think you should give Barts a shot, its a great uni! You've got a strong UKCAT score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending