The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge University, post Alevels and Gap years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am considering a gap year after my A level result with A*AAAb

A* in Mathematics (A2 UMS 96%, AS UMS 95%)
A in Chemistry (A2 UMS 81% AS 91%)
A in Physics (A2 UMS 83% AS UMS 93%)
A in Chinese (A2 UMS 81% AS 90%)
B in Further Maths (76%)

Are a retake and a gap year worth for applying to Cambridge law? However I did not do so nice in my A2?

Original post by T-o dore
Just thought I'd briefly say that I applied to Cambridge for Archaeology and anthropology (now changed to HSPS) post-A2, during my gap year, and the whole University application process was so nice and stress-free. You don't worry about school work or meeting an offer. I also felt much more 'ready' for university after an interesting year out of education. I did better in my A2s than my ASs (from 95% to 98% averages), and bolstered my application by doing an 'advanced extension award' as well as arranging relevant work experience, and I think my application was much stronger than it would have been the year before. I got in and had an amazing three years.

However I think its important that you apply for more realistic places (where you have a very high chance of getting a place) that you would be very happy with should you not get in to Cambridge. For me that was LSE and Edinburgh.

Good luck!

p.s. I think in general if you do better at A2 than AS and apply during your gap year you will probably be in a stronger position than someone who applied after AS but had not yet shown an upward trajectory - it means the admissions people don't have to gamble. Some subjects/colleges also like people to have gap years provided they are filled with good stuff.
Original post by tobias1995
I am considering a gap year after my A level result with A*AAAb

A* in Mathematics (A2 UMS 96%, AS UMS 95%)
A in Chemistry (A2 UMS 81% AS 91%)
A in Physics (A2 UMS 83% AS UMS 93%)
A in Chinese (A2 UMS 81% AS 90%)
B in Further Maths (76%)

Are a retake and a gap year worth for applying to Cambridge law? However I did not do so nice in my A2?

I can't say definitively but I think the average person accepted in to law has higher UMS points than that. I think something like 75% of Cambridge students got at least 2 A*s at A2, so I wouldn't say those grades would put you at any advantage. But then again you are doing 4 'hard' A levels, and it depends on things like mitigating circumstances, and your school performance in general.
Reply 22
I can't say definitively but I think the average person accepted in to law has higher UMS points than that. I think something like 75% of Cambridge students got at least 2 A*s at A2, so I wouldn't say those grades would put you at any advantage. But then again you are doing 4 'hard' A levels, and it depends on things like mitigating circumstances, and your school performance in general.

I agree with you. I think the UMS average comes out as 87.6% (counting all maths as one subject). Law is above averagely competitive and so one can assume the average will be around the 95% or higher mark. I'm not sure that 87.6% would achieve an interview eg:

"AVERAGE percentage ACROSS (not in each of) your three best (arts degree subjects) AS subjects By this measure, the average applicant in 2012 had 90% , and the average offer holder 95%: these, however, are averages, NOT minima."

"Competition for places is such that those averaging 85% and below across their three best (for arts degree subjects) are very unlikely to be called for interview. Some of those averaging 89% or below, who are applying for the most competitive-for-entry Cambridge degree subjects, may also not be called. "
Original post by Colmans
I agree with you. I think the UMS average comes out as 87.6% (counting all maths as one subject). Law is above averagely competitive and so one can assume the average will be around the 95% or higher mark. I'm not sure that 87.6% would achieve an interview eg:

"AVERAGE percentage ACROSS (not in each of) your three best (arts degree subjects) AS subjects By this measure, the average applicant in 2012 had 90% , and the average offer holder 95%: these, however, are averages, NOT minima."

"Competition for places is such that those averaging 85% and below across their three best (for arts degree subjects) are very unlikely to be called for interview. Some of those averaging 89% or below, who are applying for the most competitive-for-entry Cambridge degree subjects, may also not be called. "

In calculating the average, are maths and further maths always taken as one subject? I was hoping that they'd use the higher one along with my other two related subjects: biology and chemistry.
Reply 24
Original post by keromedic
In calculating the average, are maths and further maths always taken as one subject? I was hoping that they'd use the higher one along with my other two related subjects: biology and chemistry.

Yes they are because you can't always distinguish which is a maths and which is a FM module. The exception is for maths itself where there is a Physics/maths UMS score.
Original post by Colmans
Yes they are because you can't always distinguish which is a maths and which is a FM module. The exception is for maths itself where there is a Physics/maths UMS score.

Thanks. That's a little disappointing then, it means my maths score this year will drag be back regardless of how well I do in FM.
I'm glad I know now though, so again: thanks.
Reply 26
As I am an international student from Hong Kong, I realise that Oxford may be an easier choice regarding my crappy A2 grade.

Another concern is that I may not be able to attend the interview at Oxford or Cambridge as I am in Hong Kong. Cambridge conducts interview in Hong Kong while Oxford does not.

Do I still stance the chances if I am determined to have retake to get at least 2 or 3 A* ? What are your thoughts?

Reply 27
Hey guys could anyone give me some advice - I am applying for Philosophy - my hope is that I have improved from AS and that my final A2 exams very v.good - would I have a chance all other things equal?
Biology A* (AS - 278/300(93%) - A2 273/300 (91%) but 150/150 in last bio exam
History A* (AS 200/200 (100%) - A2 197/200 (98.5%) and 120/120 in final history exam
RS: Philosophy and ethics A* (AS (poor :s-smilie:) 167/200) (84%) but A2 198/200 (99%)
A in extended project + Distinction in english Bacc
Geography AS (196/200)
GCSE 6A*, 3As

so bio went from 93% to 91%
history 100% to 98.5%
RS 84% to 99%

please say I have some chance :s-smilie: biology is low because our teacher mucked up our coursework where I got a B :frown:
Original post by theosjs95

please say I have some chance :s-smilie: biology is low because our teacher mucked up our coursework where I got a B :frown:

Yes of course you have a chance. You have met the standard offer.

Do I still stance the chances if I am determined to have retake to get at least 2 or 3 A* ? What are your thoughts?

If you're grades meet the A*AA standard offer, then you have a chance (though I don't know what subject you are applying for or your A level subjects/grades). You should probably try the main Cambridge applications thread, its a little off-topic here. Obviously if there is no way you can get to any interview then I doubt you will have a chance, unless they can interview you by other means - skype/phone.
Original post by Colmans

Spoiler

What I'm a little unsure about is a situation where someone has low 80s in AS but achieves 100s in A2s. Although the average per subject will be really low 90s/late 80s, will the fact that there's an upward trajectory be enough to mitigate the average or is the average the only thing looked at?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
What I'm a little unsure about is a situation where someone has low 80s in AS but achieves 100s in A2s. Although the average per subject will be really low 90s/late 80s, will the fact that there's an upward trajectory be enough to mitigate the average or is the average the only thing looked at?

Apparently their research didn't show a great difference between AS and A2 modules in terms of predictive value. I guess in your example the overall UMS average is going to be comfortably above 90% so they get an interview. At this point the "holistic assessment" comes in to play and I guess if they interview well the upward trajectory will indeed be reassuring.
Reply 32
As I am an international student from Hong Kong, I realise that Oxford may be an easier choice regarding my crappy A2 grade.

Another concern is that I may not be able to attend the interview at Oxford or Cambridge as I am in Hong Kong. Cambridge conducts interview in Hong Kong while Oxford does not.

Cambridge don't take a great deal of notice of retakes unless there were extenuating circumstances that explain the first poor mark. They assume everybody would improve if they re-took the exam. The exception is in AS year where June results count if better than January.
Somebody who is applying post A2 results is expected to have around 2A* (Arts subjects) or 3A* sciences/law/medicine on a first sitting.
Original post by Colmans
Cambridge don't take a great deal of notice of retakes unless there were extenuating circumstances that explain the first poor mark. They assume everybody would improve if they re-took the exam. The exception is in AS year where June results count if better than January.
Somebody who is applying post A2 results is expected to have around 2A* (Arts subjects) or 3A* sciences/law/medicine on a first sitting.

Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and resit F322 then to help improve my average. It's an AS module!
Original post by Colmans
Apparently their research didn't show a great difference between AS and A2 modules in terms of predictive value. I guess in your example the overall UMS average is going to be comfortably above 90% so they get an interview. At this point the "holistic assessment" comes in to play and I guess if they interview well the upward trajectory will indeed be reassuring.

I see! I think I get what you're saying. You aren't automatically kicked off the list for an average that's barely over 90. If I perform well at interview next year, if the college is weighing me up against another candidate, they might take into account that I've improved a lot in the 2nd year!
Thanks.
Reply 35
Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and resit F322 then to help improve my average. It's an AS module!

No you have misunderstood me. You cannot resit a January 2013 module in June 2013- it's too late. You can resit AS modules in A2 year but they won't count for ranking and you wont have the result in time for the interview.
Original post by Colmans
No you have misunderstood me. You cannot resit a January 2013 module in June 2013- it's too late. You can resit AS modules in A2 year but they won't count for ranking and you wont have the result in time for the interview.

I see, but in regards to the bolded part, I would as I'm not applying until after I'd have resat the module in question and recieved the results, next year.

Spoiler

Reply 37
Original post by Colmans

I am applying post A Levels for the 2014 entry. I was predicted A*AA but got A*AB due to 'extenuating circumstances'. I am planning on applying but re-taking the B again to get it up to an A. Why do I need two A*s?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Reply 38
Original post by PatrickB
I am applying post A Levels for the 2014 entry. I was predicted A*AA but got A*AB due to 'extenuating circumstances'. I am planning on applying but re-taking the B again to get it up to an A. Why do I need two A*s?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

You need 2A*s or more for a competitive application post A levels because the average Cambridge offer holder pre A level goes on to achieve 2.5A*s on average. Therefore post A level you need 2 or more A*s in order to be called for interview and subsequently a place.

By doing this is means people who apply pre A level aren't disadvantaged as they do not have their grades yet.
Original post by iano101
You need 2A*s or more for a competitive application post A levels because the average Cambridge offer holder pre A level goes on to achieve 2.5A*s on average. Therefore post A level you need 2 or more A*s in order to be called for interview and subsequently a place.

By doing this is means people who apply pre A level aren't disadvantaged as they do not have their grades yet.

I appreciate this is the case but won't it make sense to just switch the standard offer to A*A*A to make it clearer for post Alevel applicants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending