The Student Room Group

Results

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Hi, Nulli. You're one of the spirits I might be summoning now I've learned how. You're quite right. Plan C needs to be worked out. I think reapplying rather than jumping at anything.

It may well do, although I understand that maths tutors can be a bit funny about gap years. He may have to find something to do with a mathematical or logical component (and I don't mean working out the change for a hamburger)

Manchester is still clearing for maths and no-one would suggest that is beneath him.
Original post by parentlurker
Fair comment but a lot did have spaces in clearing for ABB applicants or above that they may not have filled yet. Birmingham is a Russell Group university so not exactly settling for just anything.

No, I'm not implying in any way that there is anything wrong with Birmingham or anywhere else, only that it's easy to rush into the wrong course anywhere just to get the process over and done with, and the wrong course could be anywhere from Bognor Regis University for the Moderately Talented to Poshbridge University for Toffs. A lot of places have gone already as it seems to be a record year for clearing according to the press. No point in settling for a degree in upholstery and web design if you really want basket weaving and otter-breeding, just for the same of going somewhere.
Original post by nulli tertius
It may well do, although I understand that maths tutors can be a bit funny about gap years. He may have to find something to do with a mathematical or logical component (and I don't mean working out the change for a hamburger)

Manchester is still clearing for maths and no-one would suggest that is beneath him.

Yes, I'd lost sight of the subject in all of this. Maths is a bit different. I certainly wouldn't diss Manchester, as an alumna myself.
Reply 43
Original post by TenOfThem
She may come now called :biggrin:
Your word is my command :tongue:

How do you do that? 3 years on here and I've never learned.
The syntax is:

[ quote=username]random words or symbols[ /quote] - but remove the spaces. QFA (quoted for attention) is often used.

Original post by rowena7338
Hello :smile:
Welcome to TSR. Another parent here, who joined TSR on the back of one of my offspring's crisis...

If I have understood things correctly, your son had a firm offer at Warwick which he missed, and they wouldn't take him. His insurance was UCL but he's secured a release from that, so he is now in Clearing waiting on a decision from Durham as to whether they can offer him a place. I am assuming that he hasn't got to the stage of being asked to enter Durham as his Clearing choice?

I saw somewhere, now can't remember where, that for some courses at least Durham were going through some kind of 'gathered field' process early next week. The good news is that with those grades being well above the ABB watershed Durham can take him if they want to, without messing up their quotas. Not knowing which course we're talking about (presumably it was Maths, but is it still?) capacity may be an issue.

What I would suggest is that your son checks on Monday whether the course he is being considered for is definitely offered in Durham city rather than at the Stockton campus - they are quite different and, if we're being truthful, pretty separate from each other, even though the great and the good go to great lengths to promote the notion of one big happy family. One of my children went to Durham city and had a ball, another of my acquaintance went to Stockton and also had a ball, and both landed up with very good jobs on graduating.

In his shoes, I would look around and see what else might be on offer elsewhere. If he's looking for Maths courses his prospects of finding something he wants are reasonably good even at this point. I'd suggest contacting the key unis for his course even if they say they aren't still in Clearing, on the basis that they might have had an unexpected vacancy arise, or they like his grades so much they'd take him anyway, given that there are no external limits on the numbers of people with ABB and better a uni can take.

If Durham are taking their own sweet time and/or decide against making him an offer, he will feel much better for having talked to other unis. He doesn't have to accept anything if he doesn't want to, this would be entirely without obligation. That only enters into the equation once he has entered a Clearing choice on his Track - and even then he can withdraw his application if he decided he wanted to.

Finally, it is an option for him to take a gap year instead and this may be no bad thing either. He can re-apply with solid grades, and he might even think about a slight change of tack in terms of course choice. I am sure he would be able to find plenty of productive things to do during that year, and some of them might even be paid :smile:

As you said, it's horrible that he doesn't feel able to celebrate his considerable achievements yet, but he will, and while his life is taking a slightly different path from the one he expected it will still lead him to many good things.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry to act thick who is Minerva? Completely new to all this

Original post by Minerva
Your word is my command :tongue:

THIS is Minerva, Goddess of Ucas Wisdom.

And I've just realised that Ucas putting the squeeze on the university only applies if they are already on Track with a conditional, not if you've just spoken to them on the phone. God, I've had so many senior moments this year, they are totalling entire weeks. Sorry.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
Is your son at all interested in york? I know someone who nailed his A-Levels, but fluffed step and missed their cambridge offer- they are heading to York for maths now, and they still have places for well-qualified applicants.

I would ring around a few other places at least to see if they can hold places, in case Durham doesn't work out.

Original post by Minerva

I saw somewhere, now can't remember where, that for some courses at least Durham were going through some kind of 'gathered field' process early next week.

I was contacted by Durham after inquiring about vacancies (albeit not for maths), and the course director told me it was in the hands of the central office who were waiting to see numbers of clearing/adjustment applicants before they made a decision. I was told I might not hear back until early next week because of this.

They however have already got back to me, so don't give up hope!
Reply 46
Hi Everyone Plan - C - Year out - Some tutoring at the local Comp, complete his Gold DOE volunteering - earn money at his current job. Drive me crazy. Re apply next year - maybe do A Level economics. Thank you all for all your advice and comments.
Hi Everyone Plan - C - Year out - Some tutoring at the local Comp, complete his Gold DOE volunteering - earn money at his current job. Drive me crazy. Re apply next year - maybe do A Level economics. Thank you all for all your advice and comments.

Plan B's not over yet, is it?
Reply 48
York - Good choice, however my son in Year 12 is choosing York as one of his options, best if they are not at the same uni.
Reply 49
Oh no plan B definitely not over - but as a previous thread said - we should plan. To be perfectly honest didn't really plan for plan B, so thinking ahead best have a plan C. Definitely want Durham as this was one of the original Uni s considered
Oh no plan B definitely not over - but as a previous thread said - we should plan. To be perfectly honest didn't really plan for plan B, so thinking ahead best have a plan C. Definitely want Durham as this was one of the original Uni s considered

Maybe a Plan D if the 'get on my nerves' factor is greater than you anticipated!:biggrin:
Reply 51
York - Good choice, however my son in Year 12 is choosing York as one of his options, best if they are not at the same uni.

One of his options doesnt necessarily mean they'll be at the same place :tongue: your year 12 son may well go to one of his other four options! I would recommend not to exclude places based upon this- even if they did end up at the same uni, they'd be in different years, your older son would probably be living out of halls in second year so fairly unlikely to cross paths with his brother. I wouldn't reject an option based upon the presence of family- I'm sure if my sister decided to apply to my uni next year, I might be initially annoyed, but unis are big enough that if you don't make an effort to see people, you probably wont!

Fingers crossed for Durham though!
Reply 52
Well, the plan B you hadn't expected to need has become plan A, so plan C is now plan B :tongue:.

I'd suggest then that he gives Durham a ring earlyish on Monday, so that they know he's still interested, and ask them for a timescale on a decision.

PS - he'd be a very strong candidate for many economics degrees with what he's already got in maths. An A level during a year out wouldn't be a bad idea - but it wouldn't be essential to his chances of getting offers, given the grades he already has.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Man alive no plan D. Someone said about Year out for Maths, they are right with Maths Uni s insist on keeping some sort of course to keep up. Hence thinking of economics A level.
Reply 54
Man alive no plan D. Someone said about Year out for Maths, they are right with Maths Uni s insist on keeping some sort of course to keep up. Hence thinking of economics A level.

Yeah gap years for maths arent usually encouraged at all and can disadvantage a reapplication if some sort of further maths thing isnt done, but one thing I would say is that economics A-Level isnt very mathsy at all

Certainly he would need to be doing some maths in a year out

Has he considered Manchester - I am a Manchester Mathematician from 30 yrs ago but the course is still top notch
Reply 56
Hi his grades are A * Maths A* Further Maths and A Physics. He also has 4 As at A s level. 9 GCSE s A* and 1 A . Sorry keep popping off cooking dinner.
Reply 57
Seems like you already got some very good advice on this thread. Anyway, the bureaucratic admissions tutors at Durham may be gathering information on all clearing candidates to find the ones with highest grades, even though it would be unlikely that anyone would get higher grades than your son as three A* grades are quite rare. Don't give up on Durham yet and regularly call them about their decision, but your son might also consider inquiring about places for Maths in other universities. So, good luck with securing place at Durham.
Reply 58
THIS is Minerva, Goddess of Ucas Wisdom.

And I've just realised that Ucas putting the squeeze on the university only applies if they are already on Track with a conditional, not if you've just spoken to them on the phone. God, I've had so many senior moments this year, they are totalling entire weeks. Sorry.
Hi Just to say that my son has contacted UCAS this morning - they have just said wait for the email - had to wait 30 minutes to get through. I think another frustrating thing with Durham - so far is all they have done is taking his grades and said they will email him - they haven't even taken his clearing number so the wait goes on.:frown:
Hi Just to say that my son has contacted UCAS this morning - they have just said wait for the email - had to wait 30 minutes to get through. I think another frustrating thing with Durham - so far is all they have done is taking his grades and said they will email him - they haven't even taken his clearing number so the wait goes on.:frown:

From what I hear, Durham is waiting until tomorrow to have a big session on deciding who to go for, so maybe things will move on then. I'm going away for a week first thing tomorrow, so by the time I get back, all this will be sorted, so I'll just wish the very best of luck to both of you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending