The Student Room Group

What can I do with a biomedical sciences degree?

Hey guys. So basically I applied for medicine this year and received one offer. I however missed the offer hence was then rejected. My insurance choice was a biomedical sciences degree with integrated masters.
My question is, if I were to pursue biomedical sciences, what jobs will I be able to work in apart from lab work? Also, since I have a rather appalling grade for chemistry, I really don't think taking a gap year and reapplying to medicine would help? In addition, as far as I am concerned, I cannot retake any exams as medical universities would refuse to accept me unless I had extenuating circumstances, which I don't have.
Any help is very welcome.
Reply 1
Medicine,
Law,
Teaching,
Masters,
PhD,
Research science,

I did Biomed & now doing law :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Obviously for med & law you have to go back to Uni/do a law conversion course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by PotterLaw
Obviously for med & law you have to go back to Uni/do a law conversion course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you end up graduating with a bachelors or masters degree for biomed if I may ask? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by itsabanana
Did you end up graduating with a bachelors or masters degree for biomed if I may ask? :smile:

I did the Biomedical Science (BSc) - not the masters. Did a law conversion instead.

The point is that with a degree like this you've got so many options. You'll find that the majority of grad schemes love science grads - so many transferable skills.
Am talking about places like (although I don't know the exact requirements): PWC/Banks/Civil Service etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
How difficult would it be to graduate onto medicine, after achieving a 2:1 in optomertry??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by luqman15
How difficult would it be to graduate onto medicine, after achieving a 2:1 in optomertry??

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in to apply for Graduate entry med? To be honest there are not many grad med places & it is fiercely competitive. But getting a 2:1 in optometry sets you up really well. It's medically related & obviously it's a 2:1 so would meet the requirements.
I would advise getting work experience as well in the medical field. You'd want to prove to med schools that you're committed to medicine & becoming a Doctor. Be ready for questions about why you're not continuing down the optometry route, for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by PotterLaw
Medicine,
Law,
Teaching,
Masters,
PhD,
Research science,

I did Biomed & now doing law :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?! How did you convert to law? Also, would like to know if you finished your law degree, if you don't mind. Do you know other jobs you could do with biomedicine? For example, would it be possible to apply to investment banking or oil company with a degree from top 10 university?
Reply 8
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Really?! How did you convert to law? Also, would like to know if you finished your law degree, if you don't mind. Do you know other jobs you could do with biomedicine? For example, would it be possible to apply to investment banking or oil company with a degree from top 10 university?

This is the route I took:
2007-2010 Undergrad degree - Biomedical Science
2012-2013 Law Conversion - Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)
2013-2014 About to start the Legal Practice Course (requirement for everyone that wants to be a solicitor).

There are many GDL providers. I went to BPP and would highly recommend it. Excellent teaching & resources. If you're interested have a look at BPP's website or www.lawcareers.net

I don't see why not - I assume some companies will require you to do certain subjects but the majority will consider all degree backgrounds. Science degrees are highly sought after. Science graduates have a lot of transferable skills (e.g logic, reasoning, communication, intelligence) that are attractive to lots of different sectors

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are absolutely set on medicine you could retake exams and reapply, there are a handful of unis which allow this without extenuating circumstances such as Exeter and Plymouth I think? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by itsabanana
Hey guys. So basically I applied for medicine this year and received one offer. I however missed the offer hence was then rejected. My insurance choice was a biomedical sciences degree with integrated masters.
My question is, if I were to pursue biomedical sciences, what jobs will I be able to work in apart from lab work? Also, since I have a rather appalling grade for chemistry, I really don't think taking a gap year and reapplying to medicine would help? In addition, as far as I am concerned, I cannot retake any exams as medical universities would refuse to accept me unless I had extenuating circumstances, which I don't have.
Any help is very welcome.

I know some people who've done their BSc in Biomedical science and have gone onto do Medicine. Apparently Uni's don't look at your A level grades that much and only look at the marks you got in your degree. Also this also reduces the 5 Years into 4 years when you apply again as a postgrad student.
Reply 11
This is amazing what you have done. very well done

Latest

Trending

Trending