The Student Room Group

Friend's Party...£100??

Sooooo, my good friend has arranged a birthday party to go to Paris for a night with a group of us. All very well, sounds like tons of fun. Her mum is offering to pay for our hotel. HOWEVER, the Eurostar is like £90 for student fare + £20 train fare to get to Eurostar station. So that's like £110 + food + shopping money + going out money. I also intend to buy her a very decent birthday present. This is expensive. Does anyone else feel this is too expensive for a student? Am I just being cheap and unreasonable? What can I say to her? I really really WOULD love to go, but dang that'll be a BOMB of money GONE.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous
Sooooo, my good friend has arranged a birthday party to go to Paris for a night with a group of us. All very well, sounds like tons of fun. Her mum is offering to pay for our hotel. HOWEVER, the Eurostar is like £90 for student fare + £20 train fare to get to Eurostar station. So that's like £110 + food + shopping money + going out money. I also intend to buy her a very decent birthday present. This is expensive. Does anyone else feel this is too expensive for a student? Am I just being cheap and unreasonable? What can I say to her? I really really WOULD love to go, but dang that'll be a BOMB of money GONE.

Food =
Friday lunch, dinner
Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner

Going out =
Booze
Eiffel tower
Boat ride

+ shopping...

Oh man.
Reply 2
Anonymous
Food =
Friday lunch, dinner
Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner

Going out =
Booze
Eiffel tower
Boat ride

+ shopping...

Oh man.

+ Metro tickets
You don't have to spend money when your friends are shopping.
Bring a packed lunch :wink:
Just do it man, life is too short to be faffing around with money! And I'm sure you attending the party is a gift in itself!
yup. Sounds like the kinda thing you'll remember for a while.

Memories are worth more than money any day. What else are you gonna spend your money on anyway?
Reply 6
Just dont get her a present. I'm sure she would prefer to have you in Paris.
Reply 7
She is being a bit unreasonable... Personally, I wouldn't be able to go with my €50 worth of savings. :rolleyes:

BTW, Eurostar is €80 (50-odd pounds) if you book 3 weeks in advance.
can you not get a cheap flight instead of Eurostar?
If it was me then I would agree, it's a bit much to expect students to waste all their hard earned on going on a holiday for a birthday.... it all depends how good friends you are - could alwayse use the "i dont have any money line," followed by "my parents wont lend me any"
l4ur4
can you not get a cheap flight instead of Eurostar?

No good when you have to pay to get to the airport and then into Paris from the airport on the other end.
Reply 11
I spent a week in Barcalona and it cost altogether less than £75....
Reply 12
yeah go for it, i'd much prefer to be have great memories when im older than sitting on a pile of money! and like people have said you can minimise the cost - buy lunch from supermarkets, don't go mad when shopping, look at other ways of getting there - eurostar is pretty pricey!
Reply 13
you will surely regret it if you don’t go.
i think the idea sounds fab, definately something memories are made of =)

but in practice could be unreasonable. do all your friends have the same income? would they do the same for u? can u really afford it or borrow and pay it back? if it's a case of having the money but not sure whether to go, is it gunna be good? yea? then go! if you really don't have the money, tell her that! me and my friends have the same probs all the itme!! some have way more money with working full time. i'd like to backpack, they don't. guess it's all comprimise =)

ps if it's like 18th, and theyre a really good friend, that COULD make a difference to me
Carl
I spent a week in Barcalona and it cost altogether less than £75....

How how how?
Reply 16
hitchhiked to and from Barca, and slept on the beach. Survived on supermarket food and copious amounts of alcohol, along with one restaurant meal a day. The only transport was the odd trip on the Barca metro, and a train back to the French border, because hitchhiking out of Barcalona is officially the lost difficult thing ever (we spent a whole day at the roadside and I have the sunburn to show for it).

That was three weeks ago now and it was the greatest holiday ever.
Reply 17
Treat it as a holiday for yourself instead of ONLY her birthday party. The the hundred-odd quid doesnt seem so much.

But no, you're not being cheap and unreasonable if you decide not to go.
Depends how much youve got knockign about. If you can afford it, do it! If not, then, obvciously, don't. Its been said, you arnt paying for it all, and it's not liek youre buuying her ticket over there anyhow, so its not exactly "unreasonable" but, to each his own
Reply 19
paris is a little cheaper than london so prices wont be as high. just keep to a budget i am sure most of your mates will hve to too. you should definiteley go it will be a great memory.

Latest

Trending

Trending