Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Miso77
I got
biology - D
pyschology - D
chemistry - U
maths - U

I worked so hard and these were the biggest shock to me. I'm starting to think they graded my biology and pyschology wrong. I'm just so confused. I need help. I was going to continue with biology and pyschology and don't know whether if I can do maths or chemistry but I would so maths..
I don't know if my school will even let me back in and they dont allow resists but I cannot move because I worked so hard to get into this sixth form. And if I am allowed to continue HOW will I get accepted into uni even if I bump them up. I want to redo the year but at the school but it needs to be under special circumstances....

I understand how it is completetly, I got my as results to and study the exact same subjects as you, I got in you're order of subjects, C D C U, maths I am strongest at and I seemed to have failed it completely which is confusing as I dont understand how a person can get a U when they have tried and got an A* at gcse in...
Reply 41
Original post by Tabzqt
They were probably talking about bits of first year, where Universities might repeat some of what you learned at A-level to ensure everyone is on the same level. But I highly doubt all of University is going to be easier than AS level... :erm: If you really believe that sounds like you're going to get a big shock.Hmm whatever, if you think that's the best thing for you. I think if you are getting U grades while trying very hard clearly you're not cut out for academics. A lot of people forget that it's not for everyone, and that you don't have to go to University, there are a lot of alternatives really.
To be fair intelligent people fail sometimes. I think my revision techniques were awful I had no sleep and couldn't think straight but I thought i was being clever. What other alternatives do I have? I want to be able to get a good job I enjoy not just work in a dead end job. With qualifications you can get anywhere..
Reply 42
Original post by Miso77
I got
biology - D
pyschology - D
chemistry - U
maths - U

I worked so hard and these were the biggest shock to me. I'm starting to think they graded my biology and pyschology wrong. I'm just so confused. I need help. I was going to continue with biology and pyschology and don't know whether if I can do maths or chemistry but I would so maths..
I don't know if my school will even let me back in and they dont allow resists but I cannot move because I worked so hard to get into this sixth form. And if I am allowed to continue HOW will I get accepted into uni even if I bump them up. I want to redo the year but at the school but it needs to be under special circumstances....

These are similar to the results I got first time when I did my AS exams, I got Us in both chem and bio.

Continue with bio and pyschology, then pray that they let you continue with either chem or maths as well.

However, your sixth form will likely let you continue with bio and pyschology, but not with maths and chem, instead they will tell you to pickup a new subject, so that you go into the second year with 3 subjects, so that your still a student full-time.

I did this and I regret it, because you end up with two 2 a-levels and an AS-level, then you will have to find an exam centre to do the A2 part of the AS, because no college is going to take you on just to do one A2 part, they get more money from the government if your full-time and that would mean doing two other subjects as well, which will be useless to you since you already have 2 a-levels and just require to complete an A2 part for a total of 3 a-levels.
This would then mean you either self-teach or get a tutor, which can be costly.

My advice would be go to another college/sixth form and start over again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by samiul71
I understand how it is completetly, I got my as results to and study the exact same subjects as you, I got in you're order of subjects, C D C U, maths I am strongest at and I seemed to have failed it completely which is confusing as I dont understand how a person can get a U when they have tried and got an A* at gcse in...
At least you have more room for improvement. Are you going to start again or continue with those but forget maths? Exactly at gcse I revised a week before but it's different. It's weird how we are made to judge and deem ourselves on a test some one else writes and it can be down to complete luck sometimes I think (what kind of questions come up)
Reply 44
Original post by Miso77
Where will you get your third a level from?

that's the point, they want me to do statistics, i dont want to. I'm going to argue with them untill they will give me the opportunity to study physics euther chemistry A2, im going to resit every module in physics and chemistry. It will be really hard with 5 resits + summer exams. But i know i can deal with it if i want to go to a top university. :\
Reply 45
Original post by Nerd2
These are similar to the results I got first time when I did my AS exams, I got Us in both chem and bio.Continue with bio and pyschology, then pray that they let you continue with either chem or maths as well. However, your sixth form will likely let you continue with bio and pyschology, but not with maths and chem, instead they will tell you to pickup a new subject, so that you go into the second year with 3 subjects, so that your still a student full-time. I did this and I regret it, because you end up with two 2 a-levels and an AS-level, then you will have to find an exam centre to do the A2 part of the AS, because no college is going to take you on just to do one A2 part, they get more money from the government if your full-time and that would mean doing two other subjects as well, which will be useless to you since you already have 2 a-levels and just require to complete an A2 part for a total of 3 a-levels.This would then mean you either self-teach or get a tutor, which can be costly.My advice would be go to another college/sixth form and start over again.
I seeeeee. Makes sense. I do want to start over but at my same school but I think it's impossible unless my CT scan I had a while back comes back with something that could class me for under special circumstances. It's hard too because people at my school were upset but they got 3 A's instead of 4 which makes me so ashamed and will be if I move
Reply 46
Original post by DinuJ
that's the point, they want me to do statistics, i dont want to. I'm going to argue with them untill they will give me the opportunity to study physics euther chemistry A2, im going to resit every module in physics and chemistry. It will be really hard with 5 resits + summer exams. But i know i can deal with it if i want to go to a top university. :\
So will you have to wait a year before you go to uni after you finished because your predicted grades won't be as good and top university base on that too as well as personal statement..
Reply 47
Original post by Miso77
I seeeeee. Makes sense. I do want to start over but at my same school but I think it's impossible unless my CT scan I had a while back comes back with something that could class me for under special circumstances. It's hard too because people at my school were upset but they got 3 A's instead of 4 which makes me so ashamed and will be if I move

Yeah I can understand that, but if they don't let start over then don't be afraid to start over at another college, remember college is just a stepping stone to university.

My sister got Ds first time at AS, then went to another college to start over again. She got her grades on Thursday, she got As and Bs and is now going Warwick. So try not to worry, you can turn things around.
Reply 48
Original post by Miso77
So will you have to wait a year before you go to uni after you finished because your predicted grades won't be as good and top university base on that too as well as personal statement..

I can't really wait one year as im not from UK, but from Moldova. I guess my predicted grade for Maths and Further Maths will be As. And im going to take a level russian in one year, looking forward to have A here. But still i need physics, i think i will convince them to let me continue physics or chemistry, and do my best to achieve at least an over all B. Do you think they'll allow me ? What should i do now ?
Reply 49
Original post by Nerd2
Yeah I can understand that, but if they don't let start over then don't be afraid to start over at another college, remember college is just a stepping stone to university.My sister got Ds first time at AS, then went to another college to start over again. She got her grades on Thursday, she got As and Bs and is now going Warwick. So try not to worry, you can turn things around.
I'm just going to see what happens. But do you not think we my grades I'll be able to redeem myself? I'm just asking. I don't really want to go to uni a year later but I guess it's better than not getting in at all.
Reply 50
Original post by rattusratus
I doubt you could carry on chemistry or maths without re-sits as those are fail grades

definitely stick with biology and psychology you can pull those up to 2 Bs

maybe try and pick up a new 3rd A level... if you like maths why not try Economics?

or does any school near you offer fast track A levels?

quite a bad assumption since Economics contains barely any maths at all at A-level
Reply 51
Original post by DinuJ
I can't really wait one year as im not from UK, but from Moldova. I guess my predicted grade for Maths and Further Maths will be As. And im going to take a level russian in one year, looking forward to have A here. But still i need physics, i think i will convince them to let me continue physics or chemistry, and do my best to achieve at least an over all B. Do you think they'll allow me ? What should i do now ?
Yeah just try everything you can! If your predicted grades are good just work hard to achieve them, don't try too hard like me and don't slack. I don't know what kind of school you go to because some are strict (like mine).. Just try your hardest to achieve exactly what you want because anything is in your grasp..
Reply 52
Original post by Miso77
Yeah just try everything you can! If your predicted grades are good just work hard to achieve them, don't try too hard like me and don't slack. I don't know what kind of school you go to because some are strict (like mine).. Just try your hardest to achieve exactly what you want because anything is in your grasp..

I'm studying in Boston College. I guess it's a bit strict, as a lot of friends didnt even pass in A2 :frown:. Cheer mate for your advice. Good luck
Reply 53
Original post by Miso77
I'm just going to see what happens. But do you not think we my grades I'll be able to redeem myself? I'm just asking. I don't really want to go to uni a year later but I guess it's better than not getting in at all.

I would say biology and maths isn't for everyone, those subject in particular take a lot more understanding than other subjects, if you know what i mean.

I'm sure you can redeem yourself from those grades. I'm probably not the best example, but when I first did my AS exams in economics I got an E, I resat those exams an got a B in both modules.

You said you worked hard to get into that college, so it must be quite a prestigious college then, right? So you probably have As at GCSE? I got Bs and Cs at GSCE and managed to get Bs at a-level, so if I can do it, I'm sure you can.
Reply 54
Maybe try and change your revision techniques??

Understand everything,do loads of past papers to test your knowledge + do questions too.

In terms of resitting,Id say resit the year because there's no way you'd be able to take all the modules in one go!

Go to a college/different 6th form,make sure the subjects you choose now are what you're interested in really want to do :smile:
Try foundation degrees
Reply 56

Original post by Stannisbaratheon
Try foundation degrees

so you think I should continue? I looked at some courses it would probably be a better idea if I go for courses that use UCAS points? But would I be able to get conditional offers with rubbish target grades..?
Reply 57
Original post by Varsh05
Maybe try and change your revision techniques??

Understand everything,do loads of past papers to test your knowledge + do questions too.

In terms of resitting,Id say resit the year because there's no way you'd be able to take all the modules in one go!

Go to a college/different 6th form,make sure the subjects you choose now are what you're interested in really want to do :smile:

What if I resit all three maths exams and one exam from biology and one from pyschology? Yes I'll definitely review my revision techniques. Starting revision earlier definitely and I have some time from September...
Reply 58
Original post by Nerd2
I would say biology and maths isn't for everyone, those subject in particular take a lot more understanding than other subjects, if you know what i mean.

I'm sure you can redeem yourself from those grades. I'm probably not the best example, but when I first did my AS exams in economics I got an E, I resat those exams an got a B in both modules.

You said you worked hard to get into that college, so it must be quite a prestigious college then, right? So you probably have As at GCSE? I got Bs and Cs at GSCE and managed to get Bs at a-level, so if I can do it, I'm sure you can.

Yeah I do understand about biology and maths. Okay, yes. I just hope my school lets me. Yes I worked my butt off to her in and my mum was so proud and as was I.. Yes I got A/a* at gcse yeah I guess so thank you.
Reply 59
I screwed up my first year, real bad.
I got Chemistry- E
Biology- U
Physics- U
I was in the same situation as you, the school wouldn't let me resit, unless I agreed to take A2 chemistry, BTEC biology, and A-level english (I got an A* at GCSE so they wanted to sort of milk me for good results, despite my hate of the subject)

So essentially, I was like "NOPE" and went to a college, studied my ass off, didn't make any of the mistakes I made last time.
This results day, I got
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Maths- B
Best decision I've made in my life. I would definitely recommend college, there's no point in carrying on at your current sixth form, where for a 1/2 years you'll be studying subjects that are not relevant to what you want to pursue with your life.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest