The Student Room Group

Ex Poly (UG) to Red Brick (PG)

I've graduated with a 2.1 from an ex poly in engineering, I've applied to do a masters (MSc) at top 10 red brick uni, how much difference would there be in terms of difficulty?

I just a little worried about spending over 7K in fees if i won't be able to cope.

Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated :smile:

Reply 1
Original post by adh5643
I've graduated with a 2.1 from an ex poly in engineering, I've applied to do a masters (MSc) at top 10 red brick uni, how much difference would there be in terms of difficulty?

I just a little worried about spending over 7K in fees if i won't be able to cope.

Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated :smile:

I went from Manchester Metropolitan University to the University of Bristol for my master's degree. There was a massive step-up in terms of workload, but I handled it pretty well. Good students are good students irrespective of where they come from.
Reply 2
Don't sweat it, categorising into "ex poly" and "RG" is meaningless. I expect the only difference you will notice will be in terms of your peers who will be, on average, smarter and more driven. Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by adh5643

That's exactly what I did (not in engineering though). As with the above poster, the major change I found was the sheer volume of assessed coursework. I think I did the same amount in a term, that I'd produced in my entire third year. However swapping notes with collegaues who stayed at the same uni, this was their experience as well. The difference is in the step from undergrad to Masters, rather than the swap between different types of uni.

Intellectually and academically it was certainly a progression, but it was a logical progression and I found it easy enough to handle. It wasn't the massive step up that I'd been expecting, especially as I'd come from a more practice-based undergrad to a heavily theory-driven Masters. I ended up with a great final result and I'm sure you can do the same.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MacroDan
Don't sweat it, categorising into "ex poly" and "RG" is meaningless. I expect the only difference you will notice will be in terms of your peers who will be, on average, smarter and more driven. Good luck.

This would be true of any Masters - even at a former poly. At Masters level, people are largely having to fork out their own money or take on a commercial-style loan. It tends to concentrate the mind somewhat.
Reply 5
Original post by evantej
I went from Manchester Metropolitan University to the University of Bristol for my master's degree. There was a massive step-up in terms of workload, but I handled it pretty well. Good students are good students irrespective of where they come from.

Original post by Klix88
That's exactly what I did (not in engineering though). As with the above poster, the major change I found was the sheer volume of assessed coursework. I think I did the same amount in a term, that I'd produced in my entire third year. However swapping notes with collegaues who stayed at the same uni, this was their experience as well. The difference is in the step from undergrad to Masters, rather than the swap between different types of uni.

Intellectually and academically it was certainly a progression, but it was a logical progression and I found it easy enough to handle. It wasn't the massive step up that I'd been expecting, especially as I'd come from a more practice-based undergrad to a heavily theory-driven Masters. I ended up with a great final result and I'm sure you can do the same.

I've graduated from MMU as well, which is why I was a little worried, the responses put me at ease now, can't wait to get stuck in my temp retail job is making my brain shut down :P

Thanks for everyones responses :biggrin: :biggrin:
I did my MSc at Manchester and there were some MMU students and one from Leeds Met and they coped fine.
Reply 7
Original post by Eubacterium
I did my MSc at Manchester and there were some MMU students and one from Leeds Met and they coped fine.

Thanks, I feel at ease now :biggrin:
Reply 8
The workload is basically the same (although any Masters will be harder than an undergrad), the difference is, there are less stupid people (also true of any masters over any undergrad).
Reply 9
Russell group universities get more funding than ex-polys

there's no difference, don't undersell yourself

Quick Reply