The Student Room Group

any chance of getting into Oxbridge?

I know this is a long shot and very unlikely, but with grades AABC at AS level is there any chance whatsoever of ever getting into Oxbridge? I plan applying for Chemical Engineering and would be interested to know. I know it's very unlikely, but is it worth a shot?
Original post by podrodow1
I know this is a long shot and very unlikely, but with grades AABC at AS level is there any chance whatsoever of ever getting into Oxbridge? I plan applying for Chemical Engineering and would be interested to know. I know it's very unlikely, but is it worth a shot?

Both Oxford and Cambridge want A*AA at least. If you can improve your grades and drop the subject you got a C in, you might stand a chance. I think it's always worth taking a chance though and trying.
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
Both Oxford and Cambridge want A*AA at least. If you can improve your grades and drop the subject you got a C in, you might stand a chance. I think it's always worth taking a chance though and trying.

I expect to get AAA predicted grades from my teachers next year, and I also know that oxford and Cambridge look at contextualised stats. Given that my school is relatively poor(special measures) and the A-level results aren't very good...do you think that would in any way make me stand out?
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
I expect to get AAA predicted grades from my teachers next year, and I also know that oxford and Cambridge look at contextualised stats. Given that my school is relatively poor(special measures) and the A-level results aren't very good...do you think that would in any way make me stand out?

What's the harm in trying? With those grades you're likely to get an interview (well it depends on what you will apply for), and then you have as good a chance as any
Reply 5
Original post by jjpneed
What's the harm in trying? With those grades you're likely to get an interview (well it depends on what you will apply for), and then you have as good a chance as any

Do you really think I could get an interview? I'm not sure about trying though as I don't want to waste an application, do they ever give interviews to people with AS grades like mine? :/
You do pre-tests and will probably be accepted for an interview; if all goes well I don't see why you wouldn't be in for a chance AABC isn't bad, and Oxbridge know that there's more to candidates than examination results.
Reply 7
Do you really think I could get an interview? I'm not sure about trying though as I don't want to waste an application, do they ever give interviews to people with AS grades like mine? :/

You wouldn't have made this thread if you wouldn't regret not applying, so go for it I say
Reply 8
I know people who didn't get an interview with AAAB but then again I don't know, it's just personal experience, but I would give it a shot :biggrin:
If you work hard you'll get it!
Reply 9
Cambridge requires at least 85% UMS in your best 3 subjects for inteview invitation, whereas Oxford needs very good GCSEs.
Reply 10
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Cambridge requires at least 85% UMS in your best 3 subjects for inteview invitation, whereas Oxford needs very good GCSEs.

Well that's it gone then haha oh well
Reply 11
Well that's it gone then haha oh well

There are other good universities. :smile: Maybe apply for one with higher grade requirements such as AAA?

Source, please?

OP, what do you want to apply for, and what were your ums scores in the As?
Reply 13
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Source, please?

OP, what do you want to apply for, and what were your ums scores in the As?

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/requirements.pdf

"In general, in the absence of significant extenuating circumstances, competition for places is such that those averaging 85 per cent and below across their three
best (for Arts applicants) or three mo
st relevant (for Science applicants) AS subjects are very unlikely to be
called for interview. In years where the competition for places is particularly strong, a higher AS average may
be necessary in order to secure an interview."
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/requirements.pdf

"In general, in the absence of significant extenuating circumstances, competition for places is such that those averaging 85 per cent and below across their three
best (for Arts applicants) or three mo
st relevant (for Science applicants) AS subjects are very unlikely to be
called for interview. In years where the competition for places is particularly strong, a higher AS average may
be necessary in order to secure an interview."

Hm. Okay, I hadn't seen that. I wonder if it's new; it would be odd if I didn't stumble across something like that when applying.

The quotation does make clear that it's an average, though, so it's still worth asking what OP got in his As.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending