The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York 2013 physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gliese
Man, I feel like I'm really missing out. I wanted to go James, but by the time I got in there was only catered left (and I wanted self-catered). So I've ended up all the way in Goodricke Heslington East :frown:

Any chance anyone else will be joining me though? :P

I'm sure you won't be the only physicist around.
Also does anyone know if the "core texts" on the reading list will be the books we need throughout the year, or are they just prior reading? Probably a dumb question but I don't want to waste money buying stuff I don't need.
University of York
York
Reply 21
Original post by HypErTwisT
I'm sure you won't be the only physicist around.
Also does anyone know if the "core texts" on the reading list will be the books we need throughout the year, or are they just prior reading? Probably a dumb question but I don't want to waste money buying stuff I don't need.

We (At least I) haven't been given any books to bring/buy by the department. They haven't actively drawn our attention to that part of the FAQ either, so I would say wait until the start of the course or until they give you a solid list of things you will need.
Original post by HypErTwisT

Good attitude. Don't buy anything until you get there and find out what you *really* need - the library will do until then. Core texts has two meanings: firstly, that you are expected to read them throughout the year and refer to them for background info on each topic without specifically being told 'read this bit' and secondly that there are multiple copies in the library, both on normal loan and the Key Texts section (2-hour bookings, can't be removed from the library).

Unless you're super-keen, don't read the books before you get there. You won't suffer from not doing so, and you might get scared/confused/misinterpret things if you soldier on yourself without the lectures. Best not to worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending