The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Right decision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Melmoth
As a member of the Academic staff in the School of Law can I just say this post is based on a very outdated view of SOAS! This summer over 5% of our LLB graduates were recruited by just one Magic Circle Law firm (Clifford Chance). Top law firms want students with a global perspective which is why so many of them are now sponsoring events in the School of Law.

Can you please clarify this statement by saying what you mean by 'recruited'? I'm not sure how it works, but I'm absolutely sure you need to take professional training after the law degree before you can be recruited as a trainee solicitor, and then you take a 'training contract' where you're trained on the job by a law firm. As they weren't qualified solicitors, were these law graduates offered training contracts or sponsorship for postgraduate professional training?

Also, I've looked up the Clifford Chance website and read about something they call a 'vacation scheme', which is basically just an internship.

Did you mean Clifford Chance had offered more than 5% of SOAS law graduates training contracts?
Or did you mean Clifford Chance had offered more than 5% of SOAS law graduates internships?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by Picaa
Can you please clarify this statement by saying what you mean by 'recruited'? I'm not sure how it works, but I'm absolutely sure you need to take professional training after the law degree before you can be recruited as a trainee solicitor, and then you take a 'training contract' where you're trained on the job by a law firm. As they weren't qualified solicitors, were these law graduates offered training contracts or sponsorship for postgraduate professional training?

Also, I've looked up the Clifford Chance website and read about something they call a 'vacation scheme', which is basically just an internship.

Did you mean Clifford Chance had offered more than 5% of SOAS law graduates training contracts?
Or did you mean Clifford Chance had offered more than 5% of SOAS law graduates internships?

You can be recruited from the penultimate year of your degree- many large law firms like to recruit 2 years in advance. I'd assume that they were referring to training contracts, since being selected for a vac scheme hardly constitutes 'recruitment', but don't quote me on that one :rolleyes:
Reply 22
Original post by lighterthanAyer
You can be recruited from the penultimate year of your degree- many large law firms like to recruit 2 years in advance. I'd assume that they were referring to training contracts, since being selected for a vac scheme hardly constitutes 'recruitment', but don't quote me on that one :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree with you.
I would hope they mean '5% of SOAS students were given training contracts subject to x,y,z', and I think that's how most people would understand 'recruitment'.
But I'm not certain that's what he meant. It does seem to make SOAS 'look good', and he's the same poster who said (incorrectly) that SOAS Law wouldn't go into Clearing this year.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending