The Student Room Group

Need decision help regarding applying to universities

Ok, so my situation is totally freaked up. I gave my first A level exams on January 2013 and a series of stupid decisions later I have about 4 months untill Jan 14 and I still have the following exams left to complete six A levels(the reason I took six was that my chem teacher convinced my dad that 6 A* was the only way to get a scholarship into a decent uni)
Chemistry AS AND A2 (btw I hate chemistry)
Physics AS
Maths all 6 units
Accounting A2
So the way I see it I have 3 options
1. Drop chemistry and hope to god 5 is enough.
2. Drop chemistry A2 but keep AS.
3. Sit for my exams on May 14 instead of Jan 14 (this one I like best but the question is how will it look to the unis?? )
:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for helping me choose. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by topsy kretts
Ok, so my situation is totally freaked up. I gave my first A level exams on January 2013 and a series of stupid decisions later I have about 4 months untill Jan 14 and I still have the following exams left to complete six A levels(the reason I took six was that my chem teacher convinced my dad that 6 A* was the only way to get a scholarship into a decent uni)
Physics AS
Maths all 6 units
Accounting A2
3. Sit for my exams on May 14 instead of Jan 14 (this one I like best but the question is how will it look to the unis?? )

What are you better at? There is no doubt that it will be really difficult to cover all 6 maths modules in one year, as well as physics, chemistry and accounting. This teacher has got it wrong, I'm eligible for the Bedford Bursary at Royal Holloway, and I've only taken 3 A-Levels. At the majority of uni's scholarships are either financially based (say if your income is below a certain parameter) or performances based on THREE/FOUR ALEVELS. Even the performance bursaries only normally require AAA or AAB, not A*A*A*A*A*!!!

My advice is to drop what you are worst at, I know chem is tough at A2, whereas physics has an overlap with maths, so perhaps you should take physics, accounting and maths. This way what you cover in your maths course will help you in the physics course, therefore lightening the load :smile:

Good luck!!!!
Reply 2
I've never heard of anyone doing more than four A-Levels so you should be fine if you drop one, those are all heavy subjects!

P.s Topsy Kretts I hope you like the number in my username
Physics AS
Maths all 6 units
Accounting A2

There are no January exams any more.
Reply 4
Original post by skydive23
I've never heard of anyone doing more than four A-Levels so you should be fine if you drop one, those are all heavy subjects!

P.s Topsy Kretts I hope you like the number in my username

Finally someone who's seen the movie...I was beginning to think no one would ever get the reference.

Original post by carnationlilyrose
There are no January exams any more.

Actually there is one last January sitting for international candidates only.
Finally someone who's seen the movie...I was beginning to think no one would ever get the reference.

Actually there is one last January sitting for international candidates only.

Really? I didn't know that, but teaching here in the UK, there's no need for me to. Lucky internationals, I say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending