The Student Room Group

Help! Low grade, what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cestlavie_0
I did call Keele, but they had told me they had no vacancies for the health foundation year with Nursing. I may try and get in contact with them about the OU. I did notice they accept OU with the below. I guess, it's something I could look into, I just don't want to do it if it wouldn't be of any use with any other Uni.
What about an access course at a college, are they any good?

"Open University K101/

DD101/DD131 & DD 132
combined "

Access courses are good but you would not be funded as you have level 3 qualifications
OU courses have a general acceptability
An AS or A level at evening class could help
Reply 21
Original post by TenOfThem
Access courses are good but you would not be funded as you have level 3 qualifications
OU courses have a general acceptability
An AS or A level at evening class could help

Okay, thanks :smile: So my options are basically do an access course ( I can afford £600 rather than £5500! So that should be ok.

Study at OU

Or do an AS or A level?

Which of these would be better? I'm really sorry for asking so much, I just want to make sure :tongue:
Okay, thanks :smile: So my options are basically do an access course ( I can afford £600 rather than £5500! So that should be ok.

Study at OU

Or do an AS or A level?

Which of these would be better? I'm really sorry for asking so much, I just want to make sure :tongue:

Don't worry about asking :smile:

In reality the only questions is - which would be best for you

The Access courses are good - they are designed for people that have been out of education for a while but that should still be ok for you - not all colleges offer them all so this would really only be of use to you if you can get onto a Health one - also they may be full so call your local college first thing on Monday if this is your choice

OU are used to talking people through choice so do call them and explain where you are at to see if they have a course that would be good for you

AS or A level is the traditional way - if there is something local to you that would interest you then it gives you the security of knowing exactly what it is worth (UCAS-wise)

Call/email Keele next week and try to talk to the admissions people for the course - they do not want people applying that are never going to be offered places so they should be willing to talk to you about the pathways that they would find most/least desirable
Reply 23
Don't worry about asking :smile:

In reality the only questions is - which would be best for you

The Access courses are good - they are designed for people that have been out of education for a while but that should still be ok for you - not all colleges offer them all so this would really only be of use to you if you can get onto a Health one - also they may be full so call your local college first thing on Monday if this is your choice

OU are used to talking people through choice so do call them and explain where you are at to see if they have a course that would be good for you

AS or A level is the traditional way - if there is something local to you that would interest you then it gives you the security of knowing exactly what it is worth (UCAS-wise)

Call/email Keele next week and try to talk to the admissions people for the course - they do not want people applying that are never going to be offered places so they should be willing to talk to you about the pathways that they would find most/least desirable

I will call them tomorrow, and see what they say. They do have an access course in health as a recommended qualification for people over 19, so that looks promising.

Just as an example does this sound okay for an access course? http://www.stokecoll.ac.uk/course-view.php?&FromSearch=1&group_code=1&courseid=2671

I think for me I'd rather go to a college/Uni rather than doing it through OU so either doing an access course or an AS/A Level would be better. Although, I can't seem to find any evening courses for AS/A Levels, so I'm leaning more towards doing the access course in the evening which is also directly linked to health, which would mean I could also get another job which can provide more relevant experience than what I'm doing now.

Thanks a lot for your help, I've just been so confused what to do :confused: but I'm making more sense of it now! :smile:
I will call them tomorrow, and see what they say. They do have an access course in health as a recommended qualification for people over 19, so that looks promising.

Just as an example does this sound okay for an access course? http://www.stokecoll.ac.uk/course-view.php?&FromSearch=1&group_code=1&courseid=2671

I think for me I'd rather go to a college/Uni rather than doing it through OU so either doing an access course or an AS/A Level would be better. Although, I can't seem to find any evening courses for AS/A Levels, so I'm leaning more towards doing the access course in the evening which is also directly linked to health, which would mean I could also get another job which can provide more relevant experience than what I'm doing now.

Thanks a lot for your help, I've just been so confused what to do :confused: but I'm making more sense of it now! :smile:

That course looks ideal :smile:
Reply 25
That course looks ideal :smile:

Thanks for your help :smile: Called the college and they're are sending more info and an application form, interviews within the next 2 weeks! Also called Keele who have confirmed this course would be accepted, as well as Staffs uni so feeling like I'm going in the right direction now, can't wait! :biggrin:
Thanks for your help :smile: Called the college and they're are sending more info and an application form, interviews within the next 2 weeks! Also called Keele who have confirmed this course would be accepted, as well as Staffs uni so feeling like I'm going in the right direction now, can't wait! :biggrin:

All of that sound fantastic :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending