The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

If you're going to Hull whether through Clearing or not...

As a parent I wanted to say a few things about the University of Hull if I may...

I have four children. Two of them went to well known universities in large cities. Two of them went to Hull. We live in the South but there are many more universities in the North and that's where all ours went.

The two that went to the other red brick universities both had a great time. they enjoyed their courses, made some great friends and got their 2.1s at the end of the their courses. That said, they were both witness to violent crime and one of them was burgled twice.

The two that went to Hull equally enjoyed their courses. the lecturers at Hull were absolutely fantastic when it came to giving their time to explain concepts and exam grades, etc. The people were amazingly friendly and neither my son nor my daughter ever witnessed or heard of a single crime (including burglary). They both came out with good degrees (one with a First). the university staff in every area, administratively and otherwise, went out of their way to to help with any work or accommodation issues and the whole experience generally outshone the experiences of our other two at what would usually be considered to be better universities.

The courses at Hull were and still are diverse and formatted to mean there is something for everyone's interest in each course and the range of clubs, not to mention the Students Union were just fantastic.

These are the words of our offspring, not ours but the university comes highly recommended by our family. Hull has long been associated with poverty and crime issues but please don't take this on board too much as we (and others) have experienced far worse in other cities.

If you are going to Hull, congratulations, its a great university, shame it doesn't always get the respect it deserves.

ps. Went to two graduations there and they were impeccably well organised, great fun and the food offered at the celebration lunch (not to mention the attitude of the staff involved) was simply A* rated
Original post by majornongeek
As a parent I wanted to say a few things about the University of Hull if I may...

I have four children. Two of them went to well known universities in large cities. Two of them went to Hull. We live in the South but there are many more universities in the North and that's where all ours went.

The two that went to the other red brick universities both had a great time. they enjoyed their courses, made some great friends and got their 2.1s at the end of the their courses. That said, they were both witness to violent crime and one of them was burgled twice.

The two that went to Hull equally enjoyed their courses. the lecturers at Hull were absolutely fantastic when it came to giving their time to explain concepts and exam grades, etc. The people were amazingly friendly and neither my son nor my daughter ever witnessed or heard of a single crime (including burglary). They both came out with good degrees (one with a First). the university staff in every area, administratively and otherwise, went out of their way to to help with any work or accommodation issues and the whole experience generally outshone the experiences of our other two at what would usually be considered to be better universities.

The courses at Hull were and still are diverse and formatted to mean there is something for everyone's interest in each course and the range of clubs, not to mention the Students Union were just fantastic.

These are the words of our offspring, not ours but the university comes highly recommended by our family. Hull has long been associated with poverty and crime issues but please don't take this on board too much as we (and others) have experienced far worse in other cities.

If you are going to Hull, congratulations, its a great university, shame it doesn't always get the respect it deserves.

ps. Went to two graduations there and they were impeccably well organised, great fun and the food offered at the celebration lunch (not to mention the attitude of the staff involved) was simply A* rated

Hi, I have got both offers from Hull and De Montfort.I am tempted to go to Hull as it seems like the better university, however I am so used to city life, and moving out to Hull is very far away from where I live compared to De Montfort. Another point is that if I go to De Montfort I would be close enough to do my current job part time while at uni. But if I go to Hull I would have to start all over again, and Im scared I wont find a part time job as Hull seems like a smaller city/town.I'm just worried that Hull, despite having a nice campus, is more isolating and lonely than De Montfort, which is a more city based uni?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by majornongeek

I am also a parent, with my eldest having just secured his place at Hull for this year to read Geography.
As parents we have had concerns based on seemingly unfounded prejudices about the City, but your feedback is really reassuring. Thank you.
I must say that myself and my son were really impressed when we attended the Applicant Day at Hull earlier in the Year, the department and students really sold us on the University. As a consequence he rejected offers from supposedly more prestigious institutions to accept Hull, which as parents we had reservations about, but I am increasingly thinking he has picked the right place for him. He can't wait to get there, now the stress of A levels is out of the way and, I am jealous that he will be at a Scouting for Girls concert on his first night at Uni!
Reply 3
Original post by Mattc40
I am also a parent, with my eldest having just secured his place at Hull for this year to read Geography.
As parents we have had concerns based on seemingly unfounded prejudices about the City, but your feedback is really reassuring. Thank you.
I must say that myself and my son were really impressed when we attended the Applicant Day at Hull earlier in the Year, the department and students really sold us on the University. As a consequence he rejected offers from supposedly more prestigious institutions to accept Hull, which as parents we had reservations about, but I am increasingly thinking he has picked the right place for him. He can't wait to get there, now the stress of A levels is out of the way and, I am jealous that he will be at a Scouting for Girls concert on his first night at Uni!

I'm currently a student who studies geography at the University of Hull and too had heard some negative things about the city, (I'm from Surrey), but once I attended the university for a week i knew I had made the right choice. The university itself seems to be very underrated and I'm sure he'll have a wonderful time here.

Quick Reply

Latest