The Student Room Group

Will my B in French AS affect my application? HELP PLEASE!

Hi TSR! I would be really grateful if you could offer me some advice on university application.

My AS results were surprising, in that I did well in my least favourite subjects. I got 4 As and a B in French. Considering I was intending to apply for French and Philosophy at Oxford, Edinburgh and some other universities, I am wondering whether a remark would be sensible. I was 6 UMS off an A in French, so I am inclined to think a remark wouldn't risk a lot.

But, assuming that the remark didn't go up/went down, would there be any point applying for French and Philosophy if these good universities (specifically Oxford) saw the B? I am even considering changing courses and applying for German and Philosophy at Oxford as this is a subject I got a high A in.

So to summarise, would Oxford even consider me with a B or should I reconsider my choice?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
I think it would be hard to get an offer for a subject that you achieved your lowest grade in, so perhaps picking German is a good option. However, you're going to have to study it for 3 years at uni and it will affect what career you end up going into, so if you don't like German then don't chose it!
If I was in your position I would be tempted to consider applying for French + Philosophy in a gap year, having (hopefully) secured top A level grades - this option allows you to get better grades in French, as well as do 'work experience' (holliday/ au pairing in France) for a year and have a fun break from studying :biggrin: However, if you do end up with worse grades next year this plan could backfire...
Definitely go for the remark - languages are fairly subjective so you could gain (or lose) quite a few marks if you're lucky (or really unlucky...) :smile:

Quick Reply