The Student Room Group

Doing AS third time is it worth it?????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkizer
Yes. Although you cant get into the 'elite' competitive courses and a few 'elite' universities with them (As you retaken AS twice, its likely they would rule you out), you can still get into many Russell group universities and respected universities.

I know somebody who got D*DD and managed to get an offer from Bristol for Economics and Econometrics.... Bristol is a sexy ass university, which has good employment prospectuses and a very respected university.

Apprenticeships are good, but your limited because many strong firms ask for UCAS points, which you do not satisfy. Also having a degree may increase your salary, though industries it vary.

No offence, but I don't think he's suited for university if he can't do AS levels.
Original post by Becky15
Ignore what everyone else says some people like to put people down, if you think you will stick at it and work hard and actually work hard not just say it go for it otherwise give up.

No, it's not about putting him down. Facts are facts. He retook AS levels already and he did crap in them. What makes you think that he's actually going to work hard? I see no evidence.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Look into doing an apprenticeship, or going to college and doing a BETC/Diploma/NVQ.
If you failed twice, i wouldnt bother a 3rd.
You might be worried about being behind, but people wont mind. Plus if you did your a-levels a 3rd time and messed up again, you would be even more behind anyway,

Especially if he's going down the university route.

Even if he does ASs for a third time, that does not mean he'll do well in A2 levels, nor first year university etc etc.
Reply 23
carry on to A2 and retake the as at the same time.
Original post by Cool_JordH
I agree with everyone else: give academics up and focus on the vocational route. If you really knew why you ****ed up the 1st time, and then ****ed up on the 2nd time PURPOSELY knowing you should revised earlier on, but didn't do anything to sort that out it's your own fault.

At the end of the day, it's your own fault. And if you weren't prepared to stay on top of everything the second time around, then you don't deserve a third chance. I tried so hard to get my BCC because I knew how much it means to me. I'm not a stupid person and I was a few marks of an A and Bs. But at least I know that I did enough to make myself proud and not rue the day that I decided to slack off. If you couldn't be bothered to find the motivation (as we who all passed know that motivation doesn't come to you) then how in God's name are you going to look for motivation for the THIRD time in a row?

If you didn't have motivation to begin with, you most certainly are not going to find it any time soon. Just like my mate. He failed A-levels 1st time will only getting a C in Language. Retook A-levels with different subjects this year and still cocked up getting DDUU. If he's accepted he's not competent enough to do A-levels, then you should accept your fate too.

It's quite clear A-levels are too demanding for you, otherwise you would have stayed on top of it. A-levels is sink or swim and unfortunately, it's evident that you sunk real deep that honestly - there's no return.
Go and find a Btec and get some GOOD grades/qualifcations under your belt! Without them, it's going to be a hard life. Also forget about you being behind everyone else. YOU left them behind because YOU indeed CHOSE to leave them behind when you didn't pick up the slack.

Sorry if I sound like a douche bag, but you've got to see this as face-value really. Reality has hit you right in the face. I don't do sugar coating like others do on here.

You know what they say:
'Fool me once, shame on you. But fool me twice, shame on me."

You don't sound like a douche-bag at all.

A-levels, nor university are for him. He's not academic at all, let alone academic enough.

To cock up once is fair game, to cock up twice due to not putting the effort in is pathetic. Even if he does manage to get AAAA 3rd time around (unlikely), that does NOT mean he'll do well at A2. Lots of people get top ASs and do **** at A2.
Original post by RVNmax
Don't listen to others who are saying your fate is now decided and you can't do AS for the third time.

I say you do what you want! I'm don't know what's best for you and nor does anyone else.

You need to decide what's best for your future, forget about the past couple of years. Are you actually interested in studying or even your subjects because if your only trying to motivate yourself for the sake of a better future rather than keen interest in what you're doing, you will give up again.

The reason you weren't motivated enough the previous times is up to you to figure out, if as above then the rest of the people are correct, but if it's just a case of you wanting to have more fun and being caught in non-studying loops a.k.a. job or some sort of social club(sports) then obviously you can still succeed in A levels if you prioritise. You need to also be going to uni for the right reasons; is there anything with an academic base that you have an interest in that you want to apply your mind for 3 more years after A-levels.

Good luck with the future, and whatever long-term goal you set yourself, just break it down into smaller targets(reminder for myself too:tongue:)

Stop bull****ting please. He's not academic enough and even if he does do well at AS third time around (!!!) I can guarantee you he will not do well at A2 level at this rate.

There comes a point where you need to change tactics, especially since he won't prioritise A-levels.
Original post by ladynova
carry on to A2 and retake the as at the same time.

The ****? If he can't handle AS level (twice!), how the actual **** is he going to manage A2 AND AS at the same time?

This is a stupid suggestion, do not listen to this OP. You're just certain to obtain UUU - if you're even lucky at that.
Reply 27
First time I did my a/s I got AEEU (r.s was an A, economics, english lit, biology)

second time I did my a/s I got AUU (the A was an A2 r.s u in bio again u in chem)

just completed my third time and I got AAA and on track for an A* in one of the three subjects. (politics, history and English lit+Lang)
Reply 28
Well if you combine your top 3 grades from the 2 years, you'll have ABD which honestly isn't that bad.

You might have a better shot at university if you went on to A2 now and improve. Get some tutors to get you into the groove and take it seriously. A2s are hard.

Try to get good predictions so that universities will take you on.

I know a guy who just got into a university with BBC at the end of A2. He had CDEU and dropped the U. He's pretty bright, but I bet he worked his arse off so you've gotta belt up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jvc95
First year I got BUU
Second year with completely new a levels I got ADE and distinction
Third year is it worth it?

Truth is, I'm not dumb its just I lack motivation big time! First year I haven't studied at all, second year I studied a 2 weeks before the exam and to be honest now it really hit me and I'm stressed out. My college won't allow me back because I always come in late. So either I do AS again in another college or go straight into an apprenticeship this means missing uni which I have always been looking forward to.

I'll be 2 years behind, this will be very embarrassing as well and after A2 I'd be 4 years in college in total. What should I do?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it entirely depends in what you are interested in, what apprenticeship would you go for? or as u mentioned u always wanted to go to University, but what do you want to study for your degree?
Original post by im so academic
The ****? If he can't handle AS level (twice!), how the actual **** is he going to manage A2 AND AS at the same time?

This is a stupid suggestion, do not listen to this OP. You're just certain to obtain UUU - if you're even lucky at that.

Or he could revise earlier, structure his time, learning from past experience and achieve the grades he needs.............you negative toad
Original post by Comokanu
Well if you combine your top 3 grades from the 2 years, you'll have ABD which honestly isn't that bad.

You might have a better shot at university if you went on to A2 now and improve. Get some tutors to get you into the groove and take it seriously. A2s are hard.

Try to get good predictions so that universities will take you on.

ABD is bad. Where can you get in with that? (Besides Bolton and the like).
I'm not sure if you have university as your end goal however if so, you should consider that most universities will not accept you if it has taken you over three years to complete your A levels. They often allow for one year of resits/changing subjects but no more.
Original post by niceguy95
Or he could revise earlier, structure his time, learning from past experience and achieve the grades he needs.............you negative toad

It's being honest. I doubt the OP will actually get on with working if he didn't recognise his mistake first time around. What makes you think he'll do anything different this time?
Original post by ChildishGambino
I'm not sure if you have university as your end goal however if so, you should consider that most universities will not accept you if it has taken you over three years to complete your A levels. They often allow for one year of resits/changing subjects but no more.

And that is how it should be.
Hey that's just his predicted grades, hey may do well as he mentioned that he will work hard. Ok many people will judge him, but honestly he might hav learnt his lesson.
Reply 36
No, it's not about putting him down. Facts are facts. He retook AS levels already and he did crap in them. What makes you think that he's actually going to work hard? I see no evidence.

I never said I think he will work hard
Reply 37

Well I can't say from the D alone whether he had bad scores all around or just one messed up exam. If it's the latter then it can be improved with a couple of resits.

Mind you, it will be harder with the lack of Winter exams.
Original post by nadzworldz
Hey that's just his predicted grades, hey may do well as he mentioned that he will work hard. Ok many people will judge him, but honestly he might hav learnt his lesson.

Bet that's what he said the first time around.

Original post by Becky15
I never said I think he will work hard

He won't.

Original post by Comokanu
Well I can't say from the D alone whether he had bad scores all around or just one messed up exam. If it's the latter then it can be improved with a couple of resits.

Mind you, it will be harder with the lack of Winter exams.

Exactly, there are no more January exams.
Reply 39
On my mobile finding it difficult to quote but 'childishgambino' said that most Unis will turn you down for taking more than 3 years to do A levels ?

Whenever I have spoken to am admissions tutor in person they said if you get the grades they are usually impressed that you tried to hard to get to university in the first place after failing, if a person does turn it around.

Some Unis will say flat no to 3 years, Oxford, UCL state they dislike 3 year a levels. But there are many more Unis out there.

Quick Reply

Latest