The Student Room Group

Is critical thinking AS worth it?

I want to do History at university and I've heard it apparently really helps. I got four As at AS, all 95-100% ums(I don't know how :redface:), so I wouldn't think it be too academically challenging at risk of sounding complacent.

Its only 1 lesson a week at our college but I don't want it to be a distraction from my 3 a levels. I can't do something half heartedly either and I would want a A in it, but is it worth doing two extra exams. To those who have done has it ever helped you academically or was it worth it or not.
Thanks.
Reply 1
A-Levels get much harder and irritatingly dreary, especially if you have to do History and English Coursrwork simultaneously over winter! I got 4A's last year too, you don't really need it to be honest. But if you think you're capable and well organised.. go ahead! :smile:

Congratulations on the results. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by omgwhat
A-Levels get much harder and irritatingly dreary, especially if you have to do History and English Coursrwork simultaneously over winter! I got 4A's last year too, you don't really need it to be honest. But if you think you're capable and well organised.. go ahead! :smile:

Congratulations on the results. :biggrin:

Thank you! :smile: I do have History coursework to do (I've even had to do a quarter of it over summer :redface:) so it might be better to focus on that. Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
It's all about arguments but it just becomes annoying in terms of exam practice, if you really like looking at arguments and making them then yes you will enjoy and benefit from this subject, I found it overkill
Most people that did it at a2 said it was awful and annoying.
If a university has two identically qualified candidates to choose from, but one is also taking Critical Thinking, then it may well tip the balance. Another thing to think about is that if a university does not specifically exclude CT, then a good grade in that can allow you to drop in one of your other subjects and still keep the place. Likewise, it can help you into adjustment if the offer doesn't specifically exclude it.
Reply 6
If you can already excel in history then I doubt you'll find critical thinking much personal use. You will likely already know most of the course content intuitively (identifying flaws in arguments, constructing your own, etc.), so if your main interest in it is to develop your critical skills I expect you'd find it rather unhelpful.

However, it's worth noting that some universities still consider the full A-Level in applications. If you can take the full A-Level then it makes for some extra insurance if you're applying for a course that accepts it. I don't know how useful the AS alone would be, though.

Perhaps take a glance at a critical thinking revision site or textbook and see if any of the material interests or challenges you?

Quick Reply

Latest