The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2013-2014 :: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nECS
Prescribed Practical Activity I think, basically experiments that you have to know how to do for the exam :P

omg haha I thought he said "PPA for Glasgow university" aw that's embarrassing because I done PPA's in chemistry :lol:
Reply 41
Original post by CSM1996
We have 4 :lol:

:eek: They make us travel to another school for a class that small (at least 10 -.-). It's such a hassle. For Maths we have a dozen or so though :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by Irythm
:eek: They make us travel to another school for a class that small (at least 10 -.-). It's such a hassle. For Maths we have a dozen or so though :biggrin:

I don't think my school have an advanced higher class with anywhere near 10 in them :lol: Well English might idk
Reply 43
My school has 3 AH physics classes ,my has 20 people in it and the others are about 15 ish. My AHmaths class has about 25 ish people in it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by LionKing1
My school has 3 AH physics classes ,my has 20 people in it and the others are about 15 ish. My AHmaths class has about 25 ish people in it

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 classes? :eek: Oh my. Three people (including myself) wanted to do it over here. It would be amazing to have three whole classes!
Original post by Apologetic Cube
It's taking me twice as long to wrap my head around a topic when I read it out of the "Maths in Action" textbook... I'm not even sure whether half of it is relevant, to be honest...

I think that's the one I used. I liked it; explained all the assumptions being made and proved the stuff you were being taught.
Original post by Apologetic Cube
I haven't had much time to look through a lot of AH Maths past papers. Do they ever ask you to provide proofs or show you're understanding of a certain principle? I know, for example, they can ask you to differentiate a function "from first principles". Are you required to show a more in-depth understanding more often than at Higher?

You're not required to show a more in-depth understanding as such, but you require a more in-depth understanding to be able to answer some of the types of questions that come up.
They do sometimes ask for proofs, but never something crazily complex. There's a lot of proving identities, but other than that, nothing much else comes up other than the general "proof by ___" questions from unit 3. I had to prove de Moivre's theorem in my exam, and just used induction.
Original post by I am Ace
Hehe how did you find this thread? Wanting to brush up a bit on the ole calculus?

I seen it on the home page but I absolutely loved maths! It was my easiest subject lol I'd like to go back to education and refresh my rusted memory on the good ol' maths! Are you studying AH maths?
Reply 48
Original post by DanielleT192
I seen it on the home page but I absolutely loved maths! It was my easiest subject lol I'd like to go back to education and refresh my rusted memory on the good ol' maths! Are you studying AH maths?

haha you're such a geek! I'm a maths student :smile:

What is the derivative of tanxtanx
how would I do this one?
Original post by FizzicsGuy
how would I do this one?

It's in the form f(x)f(x)dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx, that give you any hints?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It's in the form f(x)f(x)dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx, that give you any hints?

Nope, sorry. There was nothing similar to this in my notes. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FizzicsGuy
Nope, sorry. There was nothing similar to this in my notes. :s-smilie:

So you haven't done the derivative of a natural log yet?

In that case, why don't you try u-substitution? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Maths in action - advanced higher maths book 3 question:

would you be prepared to attempt this question?:

Show that all of the following iterations have the same fixed points?:

xn+1=2nn2,xn+1=(xn)2+2xn2,xn+1=2xnxn\displaystyle x_{n+1}=2-n_{n}^{2}, x_{n+1}=(x_{n})^{2}+2x_{n}-2, x_{n+1}= \frac{2-x_{n}}{x_{n}}

the answer is easy enough. It`s the next part that annoys me slightly:

With a starting value of 0.5, one of the sequences converges to one of the fixed points. Investigate this.

it`s the 3rd one, which converges to -2 - but just the 3rd one alone requires 25 iterations!

I would like to know what you think about this question? Is it a fair question to get anyone to attempt given that it is so long? Is this book just full of far too complex things you would never be given?

What do you think? (p.s. i can "see" the answer before i attempt it, using cobweb graphing plots)
(edited 10 years ago)
was working on my maths homework today, stuck on some questions :/

Find the term independent to X in (x + 3/x )^6

and

[h="1"] 10sin (to the power of 4) xcosxdx u=sinx[/h]
really confused by these questions, any help would be most appreciated D:
Reply 55
Original post by Proud_Student

and

10sin (to the power of 4) xcosxdx u=sinx

really confused by these questions, any help would be most appreciated D:

Don't know about the first one, but the second, I think you would do this:

u = sinx
du/dx = cosx
du = cosxdx

10u^4

=2u^5 + c
=2sin^5x + c

I could be wrong, so you might want to wait for one of the people that are definitely sure what they are doing :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by Hasufel
Maths in action - advanced higher maths book 3 question:

would you be prepared to attempt this question?:

Show that all of the following iterations have the same fixed points?:

xn+1=2nn2,xn+1=(xn)2+2xn2,xn+1=2xnxn\displaystyle x_{n+1}=2-n_{n}^{2}, x_{n+1}=(x_{n})^{2}+2x_{n}-2, x_{n+1}= \frac{2-x_{n}}{x_{n}}

the answer is easy enough. It`s the next part that annoys me slightly:

With a starting value of 0.5, one of the sequences converges to one of the fixed points. Investigate this.

it`s the 3rd one, which converges to -2 - but just the 3rd one alone requires 25 iterations!

I would like to know what you think about this question? Is it a fair question to get anyone to attempt given that it is so long? Is this book just full of far too complex things you would never be given?

What do you think? (p.s. i can "see" the answer before i attempt it, using cobweb graphing plots)

Stick it in your calculator using ANS and spam the equals key. Takes about 4 seconds.
Reply 57
Original post by Proud_Student

use the binomial theorem:

(x+3x)6=r=06(6r)xr(3x)6r\displaystyle (x+\frac{3}{x})^{6}=\sum_{r=0}^6 {6 \choose r} x^{r}(\frac{3}{x})^{6-r}

and the fact that, to get just the number, the powers r and 6-r have to be equal, as this eliminates the x terms - since one is a positive power, the other is a negative power to the same degree...

so, solve r=6-r, and use this just to find the power for the term you solved for...

i.e.: (6r)xr(3x)6r{6\choose r} x^{r}(\frac{3}{x})^{6-r}

go with nECS`s suggestion for the other one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Simarilli
Stick it in your calculator using ANS and spam the equals key. Takes about 4 seconds.

my calculator doesn`t do that.
Reply 59
Original post by Hasufel
my calculator doesn`t do that.

how... what...

Seriously just pick up one of those £4 Casios you get in Tescos. It's worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending