The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2013-2014 :: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the help :biggrin:

but I have one further question :/

I simplified well i used quotient rule on a an expression and it came out as this

3e^3x multiplied by (e^3x +1) - e^3x . 3e^3x divided by (e^3x + 1) squared

my question is...when I simplify can I multiply the first part togethor and then to make 4e^3x + 3e^3x and work from that D:

I swear maths is hell for me, only subject I generally struggle with D:

not done it in so long and our teacher is absolutely un-approachable for questions :/
Reply 61
from what I understand, you have: 3e3x(e3x+1)e3x3e3xe3x+1\displaystyle \frac{3e^{3x}(e^{3x}+1)-e^{3x}3e^{3x}}{e^{3x}+1} is that correct?

you can take a common term out of the denominator:

3e3x(e3x+1e3x)e3x+1\displaystyle \frac{3e^{3x}(e^{3x}+1-e^{3x})}{e^{3x}+1}=....
(edited 10 years ago)
thanks and one last question

iv been simplifying this partial fraction but im getting weird answers

x^2 + 2 divided by x^2 - 1

I factorized the bottom to (x-1)(x+1) and well from there i was going fine but I got strange answers for one of my values, like 2/3

im not sure where i went wrong ><
Reply 63
Original post by Proud_Student
thanks and one last question

iv been simplifying this partial fraction but im getting weird answers

x^2 + 2 divided by x^2 - 1

I factorized the bottom to (x-1)(x+1) and well from there i was going fine but I got strange answers for one of my values, like 2/3

im not sure where i went wrong ><

You haven't went wrong, there's nothing wrong with fractions and negative values.
Reply 64
the easiest way to look at this one is to stop and notice - hey! - x^2+2 is "abit like" x^2-1, so you can put the numerator as x2+2=(x21)+3x^2+2= (x^2-1)+3

which means you get: x21x21+3x21\frac{x^2-1}{x^2-1}+\frac{3}{x^2-1}.

The first thing you have to do when you see this type of function is use synthetic or long division, because the degree of the numerator and denominator are equal. This brings it into a form which is easier to deal with.

what you`ve got above is then: 1+3x211+\frac{3}{x^2-1}. and you need only split the 2nd part using the denominator (x-1)(x+1)
(edited 10 years ago)
Epic thanks :biggrin:

My teacher says its cuz im very shy and passive about maths, not to mention not very confident, that reassured me..i got my work down...how well it was done...ill be lucky to get half of them right :rolf:

I guess its my fault for being away at Open days, not to mention those pesky PPAs :biggrin:
Reply 66
this is a very good website, and everyone is always willing to help, so my advice is (after you`ve tried first of course) don`t hesitate to get help here.

like a lot of things, confidence comes with practice. Try hard, believe in yourself, and don`t get annoyed or downhearted with maths.

(I do exercises in books, but now, I hardly ever look up the answers (unless I`m utterly stumped!), as I believe in my own ability.)

believe in yourself
:smile:

(hippy rant over)
Original post by Hasufel
Maths in action - advanced higher maths book 3 question:

would you be prepared to attempt this question?:

Show that all of the following iterations have the same fixed points?:

xn+1=2nn2,xn+1=(xn)2+2xn2,xn+1=2xnxn\displaystyle x_{n+1}=2-n_{n}^{2}, x_{n+1}=(x_{n})^{2}+2x_{n}-2, x_{n+1}= \frac{2-x_{n}}{x_{n}}

the answer is easy enough. It`s the next part that annoys me slightly:

With a starting value of 0.5, one of the sequences converges to one of the fixed points. Investigate this.

it`s the 3rd one, which converges to -2 - but just the 3rd one alone requires 25 iterations!

I would like to know what you think about this question? Is it a fair question to get anyone to attempt given that it is so long? Is this book just full of far too complex things you would never be given?

What do you think? (p.s. i can "see" the answer before i attempt it, using cobweb graphing plots)

Original post by Simarilli
Stick it in your calculator using ANS and spam the equals key. Takes about 4 seconds.

It's a perfectly reasonable question, you are just not using the right method. Even the calculator "method" is not a proof that it converges. The course expects you to know the following method (quoted from the HSN course summary page 7):

To calculate a root using an iterative scheme you must decide whether the scheme converges or diverges.

Convergence is decided by differentiating and substituting in the approximate root.

If the answer is between –1 and 1 [exclusive], the scheme will converge. The closer the
value is to zero the quicker the scheme will converge.

From the first part of the question we know that the fixed point of the schemes in fact corresponds to computing a root of the equation x2+x2=0x^2+x-2 = 0 and it is either 2-2 or 11. Differentiating each of the schemes respectively gives:

dxn+1dxn=2xn\dfrac{dx_{n+1}}{dx_n} = -2x_n

dxn+1dxn=2xn+2\dfrac{dx_{n+1}}{dx_n} = 2x_n + 2

dxn+1dxn=2xn2\dfrac{dx_{n+1}}{dx_n} = \dfrac{-2}{x_n^2}

Hence plugging 2-2 and 11 into the the above gives only the third result is between 1-1 and 11 when 2-2 is tried. Therefore the third method will converge for the fixed point / root 2-2.

(Further, note that if the result is outside the range then the scheme would diverge for the root tested, whereas if it is exactly 1-1 or 11 then the test fails and the scheme may or may not converge, although if it does converge then it is likely to be very slow.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Watching this thread to help as much as I can. :woo: AH maths is very interesting guys, I enjoyed much more than Higher. Don't let some of the insane mathmos on here put you off by the way, this is TSR after all!

I think I'm the only girl who has posted on this thread so far. :ninja:
Reply 69
Original post by -Neuro-
Watching this thread to help as much as I can. :woo: AH maths is very interesting guys, I enjoyed much more than Higher. Don't let some of the insane mathmos on here put you off by the way, this is TSR after all!

I think I'm the only girl who has posted on this thread so far. :ninja:

Na you're not the first girl, UKD's posted above

:colone:
Reply 70
Original post by ukdragon37
It's a perfectly reasonable question, you are just not using the right method. Even the calculator "method" is not a proof that it converges. The course expects you to know the following method (quoted from the HSN course summary page 7):

From the first part of the question we know that the fixed point of the schemes in fact corresponds to computing a root of the equation x2+x2=0x^2+x-2 = 0 and it is either 2-2 or 11. Differentiating each of the schemes respectively gives:

dxn+1dxn=2xn\dfrac{dx_{n+1}}{dx_n} = -2x_n

dxn+1dxn=2xn+2\dfrac{dx_{n+1}}{dx_n} = 2x_n + 2

dxn+1dxn=2xn2\dfrac{dx_{n+1}}{dx_n} = \dfrac{-2}{x_n^2}

Hence plugging 2-2 and 11 into the the above gives only the third result is between 1-1 and 11 when 2-2 is tried. Therefore the third method will converge for the fixed point / root 2-2.

(Further, note that if the result is outside the range then the scheme would diverge for the root tested, whereas if it is exactly 1-1 or 11 then the test fails and the scheme may or may not converge, although if it does converge then it is likely to be very slow.)

Thanks so much! - my book does not give ANY sort of explanation as you have given - authors missed explaining themselves there!

Thanks again!

(just realised, this is in another book I have {but it`s on non-linear dynamics as the "fixed point theorem" i.e: | F ' (-2)|<1 for only the 3rd one}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
I have unit 1 maths NAB on Wednesday and extension test on Monday :frown:
Original post by I am Ace
Na you're not the first girl, UKD's posted above

:colone:

:lolwut: Though as much as you'd like me to be one, I am not a girl. :tongue:
Original post by Hasufel
Thanks so much! - my book does not give ANY sort of explanation as you have given - authors missed explaining themselves there!

Thanks again!

(just realised, this is in another book I have {but it`s on non-linear dynamics as the "fixed point theorem" i.e: | F ' (-2)|<1 for only the 3rd one}

You're welcome :smile: Iterative schemes is one of the weakly-taught topics in AH I've found so this confusion is quite common.
Can someone help me with this? I'm trying to integrate f(x)=(e^x + x^-x)^3 , I know I have to multiply the brackets out first, but by doing that, I got 4e^3x^3 + 4e^3-x^3 which I think is wrong.
Reply 75
I don`t think this function IS integrable (as far as i know).

do you not mean: (ex+ex)3=8Cosh3(x)(e^{x}+e^{-x})^{3}=8Cosh^{3}(x) ?

(corrected on edit)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hasufel
I don`t think this function IS integrable (as far as i know).

do you not mean: (ex+ex)3=2Cosh3(x)(e^{x}+e^{-x})^{3}=2Cosh^{3}(x) ?

I think you'll find that it should be 8cosh3(x)8\cosh^{3}(x) not 2cosh3(x)2\cosh^{3}(x) :tongue:
Reply 77
Think im going crazy tbh because i am loving Advanced Maths and Advanced Chemistry. The PPA thing at Glasgow Uni is just so much fun!!
:lolwut: Though as much as you'd like me to be one, I am not a girl. :tongue:

Aww what babes? :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
I think you'll find that it should be 8cosh3(x)8\cosh^{3}(x) not 2cosh3(x)2\cosh^{3}(x) :tongue:

Doii! thanks! - corrected on edit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending