The Student Room Group

Breaking the ice with room-mates

Scroll to see replies

Original post by battycatlady
Well I took my xbox 360 to uni, so making friends with the lads was easy. Just invited them in to play fifa :P

Otherwise I did a very typically English thing and asked everyone if they fancied a brew :biggrin:

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by fifitrixiebell
My form tutor recommended similar things to all of this - wedge your door open and have a tin of Celebrations/Quality Street for people to dip into. It's an easy way to strike conversation as you'll be surprised how many people will be like "Ohh I dont like Bountys" or "Are there any Malteser ones left?" etc! Plus, I saw elsewhere that you should print/make a sign for your door for the first week or so with your name (and maybe course?) so your flatmates can remember your name!

Great advice, much appreciated :smile:
Reply 22
you gotta make sure they see you as the topdog. watch a few prison movies
Reply 23
I'm going to go for a very literal metaphor. Have just ordered an ice sculpture of Ice Cube and will slowly hack away at the structure all week with a pickaxe until Ice Cube becomes ice cubes.
Reply 24
Mine will go something like:

err.. hey... I'm jack *stares at the floor*
Reply 25
Original post by LoopyLinguist
Can't beat party rings :smile: Thanks for replying.

I second that, party rings are awesome :biggrin:
Reply 26
Do you wanna er... My names err.. What's your erm... Where the... Erm. Err...... I'm David.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Couple bottles of vodka! Just out of interest, where are you heading off to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh. And become familiar with The Lord of the Flies :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Try and hang out in the kitchen/communal areas and maybe once a few people have arrived ask them if they want to go for a walk to see where everything is.
Plus, I saw elsewhere that you should print/make a sign for your door for the first week or so with your name (and maybe course?) so your flatmates can remember your name!

Don't do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
My form tutor recommended similar things to all of this - wedge your door open and have a tin of Celebrations/Quality Street for people to dip into. It's an easy way to strike conversation as you'll be surprised how many people will be like "Ohh I dont like Bountys" or "Are there any Malteser ones left?" etc! Plus, I saw elsewhere that you should print/make a sign for your door for the first week or so with your name (and maybe course?) so your flatmates can remember your name!

That is actually quite a good idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I'd buy a huge pack of printer paper, print out a sheet with the title 'roommate agreement', put it on the front, and start interviewing everyone who walks in through the door, about their favourite amino acids, their opinions on Star Trek and their bowel movement cycles
Original post by hermitthefrog
Don't do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just something I saw elsewhere on TSR! I'm not sure if I'll do it myself, but other people might :-)
Original post by Hunarench95
Couple bottles of vodka! Just out of interest, where are you heading off to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leeds :smile: And thanks for the advice :wink:
Original post by Hunarench95
Oh. And become familiar with The Lord of the Flies :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am I missing something here? Haven't read it.
Reply 36

it's a book about a bunch of kids that are stuck on an island. has a movie too
Original post by oyyoyy
I'd buy a huge pack of printer paper, print out a sheet with the title 'roommate agreement', put it on the front, and start interviewing everyone who walks in through the door, about their favourite amino acids, their opinions on Star Trek and their bowel movement cycles

If i walked into my flat and found someone sat there doing this... i would introduce myself as penny. And we would be the best of friends!
(....unless they actually WHERE as anal as sheldon.... that could get a bit much)

Like SMD said it's about some children who got stuck on an island without adults, - basically how they established a hierarchy and create different factions within the body of people. Kind of sounds like university? :wink:
Reply 39
A lot of people are saying to get to know your flatmates a bit on facebook if you find them ofcourse.. and that's what we did last year, bit more than half of us from the house (3 flats) created a fb conversation and talked there about going out together and stuff like that.. but I found that when meeting them it was a bit awkward, I kind of wish I didn't know them before meeting them..and my closest few friends from the flat didnt join the fb group at all.

Another thing I agree on bringing something, like one girl bought cupcakes she made at home and they were amazing!! That helped a lot haha.
Also after some days when you have to go do you first food shopping or laundry ask some of your flatmates if they want to come a long, this also helps to bond with people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending