The Student Room Group

Breaking the ice with room-mates

Hi, just wondering about ways to 'break the ice' with room-mates at uni?

Some people say to take biscuits/cakes to share, but this sounds a bit cheesy to me!

I'm quite a shy person and want to make friends. Any help?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm just going to take a case of beer with me. Then you can make friends with your whole floor :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tweedyy
I'm just going to take a case of beer with me. Then you can make friends with your whole floor :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice :smile:
Original post by LoopyLinguist

Some people say to take biscuits/cakes to share, but this sounds a bit cheesy to me!

Join the freshers groups on FB before you go. You'll most likely find some flatmates there and knowing who you're going to be living with can help a lot with nerves.

When you move in, of course, make your bed and put out any other essentials e.g. food in the fridge and loo roll in your bathroom. Once you've done that, you can start talking to your flatmates.
Original post by super_kawaii
Join the freshers groups on FB before you go. You'll most likely find some flatmates there and knowing who you're going to be living with can help a lot with nerves.

When you move in, of course, make your bed and put out any other essentials e.g. food in the fridge and loo roll in your bathroom. Once you've done that, you can start talking to your flatmates.

Sounds good, thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Leave your bedroom door open so you can see when people come in and take a shot or two to loosen up.
It was all a bit like Big Brother when I moved into Halls. One person was already there when I moved in and the others gradually came during the day. After unpacking rooms and waving the parents off, we just naturally fell into conversation - even if it was just helping each other get the internet sorted in our rooms/ where are you from/ names. Before long we were talking and having a laugh in the kitchen like we'd known each other a while! You'll probably see people with their parents moving in anyway, a smile and "hi" always goes down well! Just remember that everyone is in the same boat and most people don't want to be isolated from day one so will make an effort to talk/ arrange a night out or something :smile: Practically straight away, a guy in the flat next to us came round with cakes, which was really sweet (he was just like "erm yeah, fancy a cake?") and soon we were friends with the guys in his flat too! Don't worry too much and enjoy it! Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)

They don't have to be savoury biscuits. Just take some party rings and bakewell tarts.
Original post by mariocasas
Leave your bedroom door open so you can see when people come in and take a shot or two to loosen up.

Thanks, will do :smile:
Original post by Jennie027
It was all a bit like Big Brother when I moved into Halls. One person was already there when I moved in and the others gradually came during the day. After unpacking rooms and waving the parents off, we just naturally fell into conversation - even if it was just helping each other get the internet sorted in our rooms/ where are you from/ names. Before long we were talking and having a laugh in the kitchen like we'd known each other a while! You'll probably see people with their parents moving in anyway, a smile and "hi" always goes down well! Just remember that everyone is in the same boat and most people don't want to be isolated from day one so will make an effort to talk/ arrange a night out or something :smile: Practically straight away, a guy in the flat next to us came round with cakes, which was really sweet (he was just like "erm yeah, fancy a cake?") and soon we were friends with the guys in his flat too! Don't worry too much and enjoy it! Good luck.

Hi, thanks very much for the detailed reply :smile: Cakes doesn't sound like such a bad idea actually!
Original post by Sammydemon
They don't have to be savoury biscuits. Just take some party rings and bakewell tarts.

Can't beat party rings :smile: Thanks for replying.
Reply 11
are you able to contact them online, I have been emailing my roomates since I found out who was in my flat, it good because you get to know them first before you meet them, it makes everyone feel less nervous about living together.
Hi, thanks very much for the detailed reply :smile: Cakes doesn't sound like such a bad idea actually!

You're very welcome, hope it helped! :smile:
Just talk to people. Everyone is in the same boat. Say hello to people as you see them and strike up a conversation. If people invite you somewhere, say yes. Make an effort to be nice to everyone for the first couple of weeks at least.

You won't necessarily end up best friends with your flatmates. Many people often make better friends through their course or in societies, as you are more likely to have more in common if you share an interest. Again, just talk to people. In the first few weeks, everyone will want to make friends, so as long as you are friendly and social, you'll meet lots of people and be able to find those you click with best.
Original post by Emma122
are you able to contact them online, I have been emailing my roomates since I found out who was in my flat, it good because you get to know them first before you meet them, it makes everyone feel less nervous about living together.

Hi, thanks for the reply :smile: I've only just found out my room number so will have to do that. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks again.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Just talk to people. Everyone is in the same boat. Say hello to people as you see them and strike up a conversation. If people invite you somewhere, say yes. Make an effort to be nice to everyone for the first couple of weeks at least.

You won't necessarily end up best friends with your flatmates. Many people often make better friends through their course or in societies, as you are more likely to have more in common if you share an interest. Again, just talk to people. In the first few weeks, everyone will want to make friends, so as long as you are friendly and social, you'll meet lots of people and be able to find those you click with best.

Hello and thank you! Hoping everything will eventually just fall into place :smile:
My form tutor recommended similar things to all of this - wedge your door open and have a tin of Celebrations/Quality Street for people to dip into. It's an easy way to strike conversation as you'll be surprised how many people will be like "Ohh I dont like Bountys" or "Are there any Malteser ones left?" etc! Plus, I saw elsewhere that you should print/make a sign for your door for the first week or so with your name (and maybe course?) so your flatmates can remember your name!
Just run into the common area's helicoptering your knob, people will think your friendly and outgoing... or a nutter :biggrin:
Well I took my xbox 360 to uni, so making friends with the lads was easy. Just invited them in to play fifa :P

Otherwise I did a very typically English thing and asked everyone if they fancied a brew :biggrin:
Original post by AwsomePossum
Just run into the common area's helicoptering your knob, people will think your friendly and outgoing... or a nutter :biggrin:

Hmm, yeah, not sure about that one, especially as I'm a girl. Thanks anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest