The Student Room Group

Do GCSE matter for reapplicatns

Would GCSE'S matter for reapplicants (provided they meet the minimum requirements). This is because I got very good A level results but my GCSE's is where I fall short?...

Any help would be appreciated
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MX123
Would GCSE'S matter for reapplicants (provided they meet the minimum requirements). This is because I got very food A level results but my GCSE's is where I fall short?...

Any help would be appreciated

GCSE requirements are the same for all applicants, regardless of how many times you've applied before- at most med schools you just need to meet the minimum threshold, and then they'll consider other parts of your application. What were your GCSE grades? If they were that bad then consider applying to places that score your grades, and then give you extra points for achieved grades. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I think BSMS rings a bell- someone correct me if I'm wrong. Contact the schools directly to check though.

The only other thing you need to be wary of as a reapplicant is that some schools won't reconsider you if you got past a certain stage before- ie Nottingham won't consider you if you reapply after being rejected post-interview before. Hope this helps :smile:
They matter the same as they do for any other applicant. So if the medical school uses GCSEs in any part of the selection process to shortlist candidates, you would be subjected to the same procedures as non-reapplicants with regards to your GCSEs.

If your GCSEs are weak, then your best bet would be to apply to medical schools where they don't count A*s or use GCSE data too much beyond minimum requirements in English Lang, Maths and Science.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by purplefrog
They matter the same as they do for any other applicant. So if the medical school uses GCSEs in any part of the selection process to shortlist candidates, you would be subjected to the same procedures as non-reapplicants with regards to your GCSEs.

If your GCSEs are weak, then your best bet would be to apply to medical schools where they don't count A*s or use GCSE data too much beyond minimum requirements in English Lang, Maths and Science.

Oh I see, thanks
Original post by Ingenting
GCSE requirements are the same for all applicants, regardless of how many times you've applied before- at most med schools you just need to meet the minimum threshold, and then they'll consider other parts of your application. What were your GCSE grades? If they were that bad then consider applying to places that score your grades, and then give you extra points for achieved grades. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I think BSMS rings a bell- someone correct me if I'm wrong. Contact the schools directly to check though.

The only other thing you need to be wary of as a reapplicant is that some schools won't reconsider you if you got past a certain stage before- ie Nottingham won't consider you if you reapply after being rejected post-interview before. Hope this helps :smile:

They were A*AAABBB inc english, maths and science.

yeah I think I'll contact each directly to see.
Reply 4
Original post by MX123
Oh I see, thanks

They were A*AAABBB inc english, maths and science.

yeah I think I'll contact each directly to see.

They aren't really that bad- you'll be fine if you apply to places that put little/ no weighting on GCSEs then. Have a look at the wiki for more info:

GCSE Requirements

How to Apply Using Your Strengths
Reply 5
Original post by Ingenting
They aren't really that bad- you'll be fine if you apply to places that put little/ no weighting on GCSEs then. Have a look at the wiki for more info:

GCSE Requirements

How to Apply Using Your Strengths

Thanks for the links

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending