The Student Room Group

What is AS Geography like?

Hey,

I'm not sure whether to do Geography or Further Maths and would like some opinions about AS Geography.

My other options are Computing, Maths and Physics (studying for Spanish and possibly Portuguese AS outside of school).

Thanks in advance.
It all depends on what you're planning to study afterwards. Further Maths would greatly complement a degree in any of your three subjects, yet Computing, Maths and Physics would also be a good grounding for a degree in Geography, or something like Earth Science.

I haven't studied Further Maths, but I do study Geography, and I'm applying to study it at university. Personally, I really enjoyed it. It's a well-respected subject, and fits in nicely with pretty much any subject combination you choose to do. The different exam boards all cover slightly different topics in different orders, so it'd all depend on which one you do. You learn great skills through writing essays, but also analytical and evaluation skills which are transferable into other subjects.

Also, if you've studied it at GCSE, it's pretty much exactly the same, except the questions are longer and it goes into a bit more depth.
Reply 2
I haven't studied further maths but I just finished AS geography and moving on to A2 with the hope of studying it at uni. I love it, its my favourite subject. there are 2 units at AS unit 1 is physical and unit 2 is human. topics vary depending on the exam board but, for ocr they were a choice 3 out of rivers, coasts, hot environments and cold environments and for human urban, rural, tourism and energy again a choice of 3 of those 4. the content is quite easy to understand and if you have a real passion for the subject, like I do, then you feel you can relate the content to the world around you. some of the content is just recapping gcse and others is gcse in more detail and other stuff is completely new. there is a lot to revise but if you dedicate your self to your work then you should be fine.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will probably be choosing Geography, I was just making sure I was making a good decision.
Reply 4
Original post by Mário
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will probably be choosing Geography, I was just making sure I was making a good decision.

go for it, i'm sure you'll enjoy it :smile:
Reply 5
A tad harder than gcse Geography.

Basically the same stuff except maybe a little more advanced. You do need to practise and prepare alot of answers for the exam. At least with CCEA.

Typical topics would be: rivers, climate, suburbanisation etc.

Personally if you revise hard and know everything you should do well. I found they didn't test me on a 20th of the material. I personally found human harder- each to their own.

I would recommend that you read theories over and over again because there is a high chance that you will think you will know the material but you do not. I would also ask the teachers lots of questions.

It is a good subject. :smile: if you have a passion for it and enjoy it like me you will do well :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending