The Student Room Group

Your thoughts on apprenticeships?

There needs to be more of them. Practical experience in the work place, a real sense of achievement and there is a point to your work which motivates you to produce more and people need to learn actual SKILLS instead of just how to pass exams.

My mother did an unpaid placement at a graphic design studio who referred her to a film studio as an 'intern/apprentice' and now she runs we own production company that I come work for when not at uni. Anything to help people get their foot in the door and understand how the real of work and businesses ACTUALLY work.

Also those who are not so academically oriented can find other talents or ways to put themselves to good use practically.

We need more. No one has any real skills these days apart from knowing how to use Microsoft Office it seems.. Less people can do things with their hands, understand the industry they got a degree in or have hobbies these days.. At least that's how it seems to me. We are just tought how to pass exams in school not how to truly comprehend anything.

Quick Reply

Latest