The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think ibuprofen works better for me, paracetamol does to but I find that isnt as fast acting. When I was younger and used to get really bad cramps Id take two paracetamol and one ibuprofen together which I found worked very well for that (might sound a bit dodgy but my doctor said it was fine).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gemmam
I think ibuprofen works better for me, paracetamol does to but I find that isnt as fast acting. When I was younger and used to get really bad cramps Id take two paracetamol and one ibuprofen together which I found worked very well for that (might sound a bit dodgy but my doctor said it was fine).

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can take paracetamol alongside ibuprofen it's perfectly safe.
Reply 3
Ibuprofen reduces swelling as well as pain so I always take it, but as someone else said, you can use Ibuprofen and paracetamol alongside each other if you need to :smile:
Not that I could know from experience (obviously!), but Ibuprofen treats the pain more physiologically, so technically should be more effective. They can be taken together however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ibuprofen works to inhibit prostaglandins which are some of the causes of dysmennorhea (period pain). Hence theoretically they should provide more relief than paracetamol.
Reply 6
Co-codamol. Also used to have the side effect of making me sleepy / drowsy, which came in useful at 2am.
Ibuprofen works perfectly for me. Co-codamol is too much for me and makes me feel drowsy as well.
Reply 8
I take both together. Taking one on its own doesn't really do anything for me.
Reply 9
On the pill, and you can take ibuprofen and paracetamol together.

Just remember that the dosage per 24hours is different for the two. You can take 6 ibuprofen tablets in 24 hours (4-6 hours between doses) and 8 paracetamol (4-6 hours again between doses).

If it gets really bad, I take solpadeine (you can't take that with paracetamol).
Voted ibuprofen. I tend to use it for most things over paracetamol. Surprised that it's got the overwhelming majority though!
I take ibuprofen and paracetamol together. I've also tried codeine. NOTHING WORKS.

I'm going to try feminax next month, apparently it's a wonder pill! Anyone had experience of this?
I always take both together for anything.

Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's perfectly safe, i've always taken both, it's very common.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by GeorgieGee
I take ibuprofen and paracetamol together. I've also tried codeine. NOTHING WORKS.

I'm going to try feminax next month, apparently it's a wonder pill! Anyone had experience of this?

Yes but not for period pains! It's a very good drug. However I recommend you go to your GP and get a prescription. Feminax (ultra) is a brand name for Naproxen, so if you get a prescription for Naproxen you will be able to get more of them (1 pack on prescription is 28x500mg, and you could get a few of these boxes on the same prescription) and at a higher dose to save a LOT of money (feminax is 250mg, the standard dose for naproxen is 500mg.

But you absolutely must take them with or just after food. Either that or stomach pains!
Reply 14
Have you guys tried sage tea ? (works for my wife!).
Strong as you you can stand, hot as possible, fresh leaf is better than dried (find a friendly gardener). Also, parsley & ginger teas good for lower abdomenal pain. + favourite pain relief (p'mol, aspirin etc) as required.
Mostly ibuprofen, because that's just what we buy.
If the pain is really bad, I'll take two of those, then two hours later take paracetamol and so on if needed.
Reply 16
Neither worked for me and the pill made me sick, so after getting to a point of wanting everything womanly ripped out of me, I went on the Depo injection.
Reply 17
Paracetamol does nothing for me, I only get relief from period pains using ibuprofen
Reply 18
Original post by GeorgieGee

Feminax does nothing for me! :frown:
Reply 19
Water bottle!

Latest